23 June, 2013


This is one of the most important things Mom ever taught me. Unexpectedly she reminded me during lunch to be extra cautious and to not be too trusting of people, friends included. It was out-of-topic because we were talking about the floods in India and Calgary, but I guess her mother powers are always at work. Part of me wanted to know what the triggered the reminder, but I decided to not press.

She taught me early on that not everyone values the same things that I do and that not everyone can be trusted to be a close friend.

Be nice, be polite but you need to choose the people that you trust, but really it's more like she was telling to just trust myself. Even Shakespeare wrote about it ( sort of )  "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."  She said not to share my dreams and secrets with someone who will not appreciate them because they will only disappoint and discourage me — that was very familiar. Been there. Do not share the intimate parts of your life ( sometimes she uses knowledge , which she calls my trade secret ) with just anyone, for those are pearls, and pearls are sacred. Do not waste your efforts and time sharing things that matter to you with those who do not give you value both as a person and as a friend because you are worth more than that. Not everything that glitters is gold. Not everyone who tells you that they will be there for you is concerned ...  and that was her motherly way of telling me to continue to look forward.

☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Good Vibes.__RUSS.