09 August, 2013

Book Club Friday: John Green's The Fault in Our Stars

Most of the stuff that I've been reading for the last two years have mostly been about Marketing, PR, and Social Media. I believe that learning should not stop in school that's why I love to read. This year, I've vowed to start doing some leisure reading as well. I found Heather's Blog + Book Club Friday while searching for good reads that I should look for next time I visit Fully Booked or Powerbooks. Today, it's going to be about John Green's The Fault in Our Stars.
"Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten."
In a nutshell: Hope. Love. Death. 

I don't know why it took me a while to get a copy of this book. My friends tweet about it, my cousins talk about it. I'm a rather late on this, but I did enjoy reading John Green. In fact, I'm planning to get other titles that he has written.

I liked how John Green showed a world that is not common to most of us. It's a world that involves us and our loved one, but it’s both a place and situation that we don't like to be in. For the emotionally weak, it could get really bad. In this situation, we could only be certain of three things: hope, pain, and death. The last one, you can take it literally or as a metaphor. Hope keeps you going, gives you the much-needed temporary relief. Pain is something that cannot be escaped. It will be felt one way or another. Then here comes death — a portion of the book ( I won't say where to avoid spoilers ) reminds me of an episode in One Tree Hill. I don't remember who said it, but the idea of death is that it's ordinary. We all know that it's inevitable and it's not in our hands. It's the effect that it has on people who are left behind that makes it extraordinary.

I'm giving The Fault in Our Stars - ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hazel, the main female character in this book shows that life must be lived without worrying about death. I instantly loved her because we share the same second name ( Grace ) + before her lung problems, she had a thyroid condition + she's smart, strong, and despite her condition, she is not the typical damsel in distress kind of girl. I was able to relate to her. I love the story shared by Hazel Grace and Gus. It was both fascinating and humbling. I almost bawled my eyes when I was reading the book and I can't help but wonder if the movie will have the same effect on me.

John Green had me at, "I'm in love with you and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasures of saying true things. Im in love with you and I know that love is just a shout into the void and that oblivion is inevitable and that we’ll all be doomed and that these will come a day when our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth will ever have and I'm in love with you."

There is a more detailed summary of TFioS here.

I am thrilled because this is my first entry for Book Club Friday. If you're a book worm like me, you may want to share your book reviews at Heather's blog. Here's the link. ☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Good Vibes.__RUSS.


jennie said...

I LOVED this book. I haven't read anything else by John Green but I've heard they're all just as good.

mary-anderingcreatively said...

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Erin O'Riordan said...

I made it pretty far into this book without crying, and then there was a scene where Hazel Grace's dad came into her bathroom to comfort her and all of a sudden I lost it.

Then I dropped the book. Then I called it a stupid book for making me cry and drop it.

But I loved this book when I read it in January. Then my grandma read it, and she thought it was pretty good, too.

Shoshanah said...

I finally picked up a copy of this and I can't wait to read it. I'm just slightly afraid though that it won't live up to the expectations I have set for it.

And I'm slightly obsessed with Ruzzle as well. I don't find myself playing as much as I used to, but still find myself playing games everyday or so.

Janie E. said...

One of my favorite reads of this year...John Green is a brilliant author. I loved this story so much.

Melissa Menes said...

Did you like the book Russ? It was one of my top reads in the last 2 years or so.