17 January, 2014

Book Club Friday: M.K. Shaddix' Made With Love + Our Secret Book Club

I have a ton of backlog for Book Club Friday, books I've read in 2013 ... and here we are, hello 2014. Some friends, batchmates, and I formed a Book Club just recently. Our club's called Secret Book Club and we currently have five ( 5 ) members: Iza + Joei ( visit her blog here )+ Lar + Balot. We are to read anything under the sun that we find interesting and hopefully we get to finish it by the 25th of each month. We are to make our recommendations. We can sort of pick any genre, except that we all agreed to not include comic books, graphic novels, and manga.

We also intend to meet for coffee ( puede rin wine ) so we can gush, share, and rave about our most recent reads. I am enthralled that in this time and age of everything digital and express, there are still people like us who like to take time to read despite our uber busy schedules. In lieu of our book-bonding moments, we do our immediate raves in WhatsApp. Yup, WhatsApp. Don't you just love technology?

Out of curiosity, I recently downloaded Wattpad and found myself reading MADE WITH LOVE, written by M.K. Shaddix. I had an instant connection with this one because the main character was into Advertising & Marketing. Following that, I was also drawn to Ireland and cheese ... all three happen to be close to my heart.
"There aren't many things more terrifying than getting a second chance."
In a nutshell:
Get out of your comfort zone.

Do not be afraid of love.
Excellence in whatever you do.

I'm giving Made With Love - ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I love how Shaddix made this clear-cut difference between life in New York and what it's like to live in a small island in Ireland. It was a bit of an eye-opener and in a way, it made me realize what I want right now. I know that I cannot always be in this fast-paced city living. There will surely come a time when I'd look for the same peace and quiet that we have in the South ... waking up to the aroma of home-cooked breakfast meal(s), chatting with family in the morning whilst watching CNN or one of the local morning programs on television.

I like where I am right now. However, if I were given a chance to go to a place like Kilronan, Inishmore ( that's where Julie Quinn went for pseudo-vacation ), I'd go but I have a strong feeling that I will come back to Manila, just like how Julie Quinn returned to New York. I am probably at this stage where I love everything about the city. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy having quiet time. Once in a while, I slow down ... because it's needed for my own sanity. Hahaha.

Following the comparison between the urban jungle and a quaint town, Shaddix also tells readers of Made With Love that we cannot be in control of everything. We may have laid out our plans for the next months or next 3 years, but really,   there is no guarantee  .

It will be sad and at the same time, it will not be right to close our hearts to the greater things that may happen or the nicer people that will be part of our lives. We just need to be our best selves all the time and be prepared for these moments so that when they come, we can fully embrace the opportunities and blessings given to us without regret and resentment. I think this is how we ought to live our lives. Life is too short to dwell on trivial things, right?

"Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." - Proverbs 3:6


Join Julie Quinn in her lovely adventure in Ireland, read Made With Love via WATTPAD ... and if you have something to share with Book Club Friday, make sure to visit Heather at [ www.blondeundercoverblonde.com ] or Katie at The Nerdy Katie. I wish you all a happy and stress-free weekend. Spend time with family and recharge for a new week.


My Last Book Club Friday Post: Adeline Yen Mah's's Falling Leaves.

☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Good Vibes.__RUSS.

40 comments:

Angel E. said...

nice! my cousin loves reading. i will recommend this to her ;) thanks!

xoxo,
http://invisiblestilettos.blogspot.com/

TheMommyAvenger said...

Sounds like a good read!

Coupondipity said...

This looks like a great beach read! I'll have to add it to my list...

P Bishop said...

I love book reviews and movie reviews whether I am going to read or book or go to a movie. I don't know why. Thanks for an interesting post!

Rena McDaniel said...

I was needing a new book to read thank you so much!

JaimeLovesStuff said...

I haven't heard of this book. I will definitely need to check it out!

Franc said...

I like your book choices as it conveys positive attitude and actions.

Rebecca Swenor said...

Well said. I love that saying "Live the life you've always wanted.' It is nice when there is a little group of people that share the same views you do. Thanks for sharing.

Couponing in Central Florida! said...

Thank you. And I love love love the quote Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

Leira Pagaspas said...

Will look for this book. thanks for sharing.

Julie Tucker said...

I think I would like this book. I kind of live in between the city and the country. I live in the suburbs. I really don't even like in much here bc of so many people. I belong in the country to live and not just visit. I like the point of view for where others want to live too.

bxcrochet said...

I have never heard of this one but is does like like a really great read.

Michelle F.

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

I used to be in a book club and miss it so bad. I will have to look for one around here.

Saranghae Korea said...

Your review made me want to read the story too. I wonder why you name your club a SECRET? Is this something anybody should not know? But I like that idea having group of friends encouraging each others to read.

Julie Jamison said...

The title of the book is so enticing. It's so true that no mater how much we plan, things take a course of their own sometimes.

Liz Mays said...

It sounds like a book that could really prompt some thinking and reflecting.

Natalie MadeIt said...

I just love the books you pick.. this one sounds really good.. I need to look for it at the store

Payal Bansal said...

book clubs are always great to join, but what so special in this one. Whats the secret in this secret book club

Katherine Bartlett said...

My cousin would like this book

056d187a-d3dd-11e3-8696-000bcdcb2996 said...

Never stop reading, lady! Book worms unite!!

Shubhada Bhide said...

Good book is like a good Friend. You have written abt this book really well.

Debarpan Mukherjee said...

Books club is something real great join for every book lover.As due to my busy schedule won't be able to read many books these days but in my childhood days I was a regular book reader.

PJ Zafra said...

Great post! I haven't heard of this book yet but definitely looks like something worth reading. Thanks for sharing. keep it up!

Claire Marie Algarme said...

I'm happy to find a fellow book lover in the Bloggers Worldwide FB group. The link I also shared was about the travel-related books I have in my shelf. :-)

George Felix said...

I have to check out this book. Thanks for sharing this with us.

lee rosales said...

Few of my friends are into wattpad.. me, no! Reading is fun.

Raine Pal said...

I also have a book group way back my high school years. I miss when we gather together every Friday, 4:30PM after school at the back of our school chapel. We shared different kind of story books, that time Beverly Hills is very popular. But I am fond of reading investigative books.

Fred Hawson said...

Not too easy to find enough co-bookworm friends nowadays. You are very lucky to have a book club. I have heard of Wattpad, but I have not actually seen it yet.

Karen said...

You have a great group for book lovers. Is your group still active today?

Rochkirstin Santos said...

I haven't tried download the Wattpad app but I should soon else I'll miss out more wonderful stories that are relatable. Reading books that make you think about life is always great.

Elizabeth O. said...

Wattpad is an awesome platform for aspiring authors and they have awesome stories too. Thanks for sharing this book and for the review as well!

Kai Darul said...

oh wow. i want a book club, too! i will ask some friends to read with me. this sounds fun!

Phylicia Marie said...

I've never tried Wattpad, but my brother spends hours and hours just scrolling through there. So maybe someday I'll do that too, and check out MK Shaddix's story.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I used to read Wattpad too. But sometimes the stories are updated too slow for my liking. Maybe I will try reading this story that you recommend!

Franc said...

I like the concept of your book club. It would unite your passions and you get to hang out often to share the books you've read and discuss about it.

Shayn Summer said...

Are you a member of a book club? just wondering. I haven't tried wattpad yet. There's something in the way you have described the book that makes me want to read this too. If only I have a copy. Looking forward for more book review Russ.

Amanda Love said...

First time hearing of this book but sounds like something I would read. Will have to put this on my Kindle list. Thank you.

Bhushavali said...

I was an avid reader and in course of time I kinda lost interest in fictions. This book definitely sounds interesting. I'll try to start reading again!!!

Sunshine Kelly said...

I like to read book review because I am not able to read all the books, usually I will decide to buy or download or not after reading the review.

Lori said...

Interesting reading recommendation! I read about 3-5 books per week, so I'll try to add this one on my list as well. It's always nice to discover new recommendations!