30 March, 2014

THANK YOU, CHONA. YOU'RE AN ANGEL.


"People will always follow a good example; be the one to set a good example, then it won't be long before the others follow. How lovely to think that no one need wait a moment, we can start now, start slowly changing the world!
How lovely that everyone, great and small, can make their contribution toward introducing justice straightaway. And you can always, always give something, even if it is only kindness!" - Anne Frank
"Naku, Ma'am. Huag na po. Hindi ko po talaga matatanggap yan. Ginawa ko lang naman po ang trabaho ko," said Chona Faller — the lady guard in the commercial area where my office is located. I offered again. A third time. A fourth time. Chona Faller was firm with her decision.

I remember that evening, how I left the main office entrance of the building and just sat outside one of the restaurants. My phone kept ringing. How ironic, coz it was about to die. Two friends of mine were going through one of the toughest times in their lives. Both needed someone to listen to them.

When my car arrived, I just left.
On a normal day, I would take a second and third look.

Come 10 o' clock in the evening, I was rummaging through my bag.
It was my reading hour. No iPad. I am so dead.

I must be doing something right in my life. Heaven favored me.
I prayed so hard that someone considerate would find the iPad and do what is right. Imagine how relieved I was when I called to report my little booboo and was told that the guard-on-duty at the commercial area surrendered a "tablet na may itim na cover". I was instructed to come by the security office the following day for questioning ( to make sure that I am the legit owner ) and proper identification.

Chona Faller saw the little gadget and surrendered it to her Officer-in-Charge for safekeeping the evening of 07-March. How many people would do that? How many people will do what is right even if no one's looking?

I may sound cynical, but I am pretty sure that not other guards may have chosen to do things differently. I am certain most people would think it's easy money. Anyone familiar with the area and the building definitely knows the profile of the people who live and work there. Reality check here — if you lose something in a public place here in PH, you have a very very very slim chance of getting it back.

I sincerely wanted to give her a token for her honesty, but she insisted that it was okay because she was just doing her job. When I got the chance to speak with her boss, I told him that Chona Faller is a true asset both to his team and their company. He affirmed how a lot of people speak highly of her. That's when I immediately shifted from trying to PR him to being very straightforward. I expressly said that she should be given a promotion. I also let one of my friends, M know about the incident and he helped me ensure that Chona's given credit. She saw me a few days after that and said thank you for the commendation given by M. She deserved it and I pray that more blessings come her way.

For Chona, it may have been a standard procedure. It might be just an iPad ( and not millions of pesos ), but for me it's a huge and exceptional act of kindness that I will not forget. It was such a joyful moment for me to have first-hand experience of genuine goodness from a stranger who was not asking for anything in return.

I will give you my word that it doesn't stop here. I will spread more love. One of these days, I know that someone I don't know will need my help and I will not think twice to pay it forward. There are still good people in this world.Ü
☮ Peace + ❥ Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


15 comments:

J said...

shared it on facebook to spread kindness :)

Franc said...

It's nice to see that there are people still honest and can resist temptation.

Amanda T said...

That is so awesome that she helped get it back to you. I wish everyone was so kind!

Kung Phoo said...

That really is great.. i do not know many people getting devices like that back ever!

Pauline Cabrera said...

That's really awesome! Love the honesty! Not many people will do that nowadays. You're lucky girl :)

Rena McDaniel said...

Kindness is hard to come by these days that's for sure. My husband gets up every morning and does one act of kindness. Helping a stranded motorist, opening a door, helping someone lift heavy objects etc. It's one of the things I love most about him!

Jennifer Zimmerman said...

What a great story. The world would be a better place if everyone responded that way.

Patranila Jefferson said...

Great story.

Russ R. said...

RENA
Your husband is a good person. May he continue to be blessed.

EmmaT said...

Really lucky she was the one who found it.

I have heard quite a few stories recently about similar lost phones, tablets, wallets etc, all having been returned. Really nice to see how many people out there who're honest and doing good

Boonie said...

Paying it forward is awesome. This world needs more kindness for the sake of kindness and compassion. Thank you for sharing. I hope it encourages more people to help one another.

Sharon Ruggieri said...

That is fantastic because you're right, not everyone would have turned it in

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

Now that is what you call being blessed - there are still wonderful people in this world!

Fabulous Perks said...

I believe that there are still thoughtful people on this world. Not everyone is dishonest. Great post!

Sandy Sandler said...

Wow how fantastic is this! Thank you so much for sharing it. I love hearing stories like this.