24 April, 2014

5 ways to not get pissed with Metro Manila traffic

27-December 2010. I had a job interview set at 8 o' clock in the morning that day. I left my house at 7:20AM and 20-minutes later, I was at the office of my hiring executive. I enjoyed an easy 20-minute drive from my place to Manila. Sadly, this was not normal. A few weeks after joining my current company, I noticed that I was constantly adjusting the time that my phone needed to alarm in the morning. If I wanted to get to the office before 8:00AM, I need to leave my house by 6:00AM.

Going to work was not much of a problem unless there's an accident or an unusual incident on Skyway. However, the build-up at the end of Buendia Exit is always hell and this never fails to irritate me because at least 20-minutes of my time is wasted at this intersection. I would have stressful mornings and bad days. It was not healthy. And finally, I've come to accept that Metro Manila traffic is something that you cannot really get away from. So, instead of letting it affect me, I've found ways to be a bit productive whilst in the middle of traffic.

 Read a book 
Image Credit: Mine

Having a book in your car or in your bag always comes handy. You can always use the time when traffic isn't moving to have a bit of brain exercise because reading makes you smarter. This mental workout helps build your vocabulary and exposes you to different worlds & varying cultures. At the same time, it flexes your imagination and improves memory skills. On top of all these cognitive benefits, reading books is also a good source of inspiration! I get a lot of ideas from the stuff I read — places to visit, things to do, and new adventures to try.

 Make-up on the go 
Image Credit: The Guardian

This does not really apply to men.Ü As much as I try to finish all of my morning routine before I step out of my house, there are days that I applying make-up has to be done in the car. Of course, you only do this when your car is not moving. When I was growing up, I'd always see my Mom do her touch-ups in the car. One of my friends' Moms even has rollers on her hair when she drives to work. It's pretty amazing how we women do these things and it's one of the reasons that make us good multi-taskers.

Image Credit: Mine.Ü

This is only encouraged if you have a driver.
So, this means that if you drive yourself to work, this is not for you. You certainly don't want to be part of statistics. There have been reports ( it's #3 on this list ) that a lot of road- car accidents have been attributed
to eating inside a vehicle. Sometimes, I really just like to eat or have my morning coffee inside the car while
in traffic. Do you sometimes do this?

 Responsible social media duties 
Image Credit: Mine

Please do this with extreme caution.Ü
When the traffic situation is similar to a parking lot, I normally tweet about this. Sometimes, I upload a photo in Instagram. This actually helps. I found myself spared from getting stuck on the road from tweets and IG posts of friends, most especially during rush hour and typhoon-habagat season. You instantly know which roads to avoid. It also helps you decide if you need to pass the time some place if traffic isn't moving.
 Thinking time 
Image Credit: Mine

I do get to have some thinking time when I'm stuck on the road in the middle of traffic. I spend this alone time to reflect on things in my life, my experiences, how I feel about everyday, what's important and what isn't, my plans, and stuff that I want to do. Ironic as this may sound, I do get to rest my mind a bit and it's actually very therapeutic. I've come to like these moments of peace amidst honking horns and other sounds of the city. Peace does not necessarily mean the absence of noise, right?

That's Metro Manila traffic for me. I've learned how to deal with it and how to live with it. Although part of me still wishes that Metro Manila traffic will improve. If we could only do things the way Japan does - we need a miracle! In my wildest dreams!! How about you? How do you bust off traffic boredom?Ü

☮ Peace + ❥ Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


Angel E. said...

did these things when i used to work in manila. this must be weird but i sometimes miss manila traffic.hahaha! it's the only time i can play sudoku and eat jamaican patties :)

bxcrochet said...

We have a lot of traffic here too somethings. I hate waking up earlier to adjust for traffic.

Michelle F.

The Pauper said...

I always experience this kind of traffic in the north part of Edsa. So I also wake up at around 5:00am.

lloydy fernandez said...

This is a great help and you may also listen to music inside your car so that you may rest your mind for a while

Kung Phoo said...

This can work for any metro ride! I would probably read a book or be on social media.

Rena McDaniel said...

I must admit I don't have these problems in the South. Great writing though.

Natosha Miller said...

I wish I could do much in the car, but I get virtigo reading or playing something in the car. However the radio helps or just talking with a friend r family member

Natalie S. said...

I live in the country, so we don't have this problem here.. but where we used to live near DC, it was horrible. These are great tips!

Ria Cervantes said...

If I'm the on driving and stuck in a rear to rear kind of traffic, I usually listen to funky, bust-a-move kind of music. It's a good way to take off my mind from getting stressed. But it's a different story when I'm seated on the passenger seat... I sleep :)

Joanna Sormunen said...

Great tips! I used to eat breakfast in the car when I lived in Quito, which is the capital of Ecuador. But I would pack something that would be easy to eat on the go. And I take always my iPad with me to the car because sometimes you just need something to do or you'll die of frustration in the traffic here.