11 April, 2014

Book Club Friday: David Levithan's The Lover's Dictionary

I am keen to making book purchases from authors that I'm not familiar with if the book cover catches my attention. Trust me, it can be a cerebral adventure and this is how I first met David Levithan. It was my turn to recommend a title and one of the two books that we're supposed to read in my book club was a book I randomly picked in PowerBooks because I liked its cover, it was simple but I was drawn to it. To me, it was was made more visually appealing by the handwritten-ish font and the red Vs that stood out. I flipped through a couple of pages and I was both intrigued & hesitant. I was also intrigued. I was intrigued with how the pages were not entirely filled with words, instead each looked like a dictionary entry.

Curiosity won over my hesitation. I went for David Levithan's The Lover's Dictionary. I loved how David Levithan used the power of words to write about one of the world's favorite subjects: Love. He dished out dished out the traditional way of narrating a story. I have not had this much fun looking up new words in a dictionary. Creative. Unconventional. For me, it was something fresh. Despite not having a clear plot, Levithan did a great job in showing the different facets of being in a relationship: happy days & bad times, fairy tale moments and a few bumps on the road.

In a nutshell:
There will be good days and you should always remember them.

There will also be not-so-happy days.

Don't let love & heart aches dishearten you.


I'm giving The Lover's Dictionary - ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I really like how each entry was described and it got me to follow the account of David Levithan in Twitter: @loversdiction.
A few stuff that I want to share about The Lover's Dictionary. Getting into the story was a bit challenging at first, but as you go through it page-by-page + word-after-word, you will find yourself appreciating the power of language and the mundane yet everyone-cannot-live-without-it world of love.

In Filipino, this is something we'd call tagos sa puso • These are words that pierce straight through the heart. The Lover's Dictionary is light and easy-to-read, yet it's filled with lessons. David Levithan was very honest and real that even jaded me was assured that it is nice to be with someone. At the same time, I was reminded that being in a relationship isn't always going to be happy days, but that does not mean make love an awful thing. David Levithan didn't convince me though to see myself getting married. Despite that, I still think that love is a beautiful thing and that it will always be worth all the tears and heartbreaks.



If you are a book lover and book worm like me, you'll find Book Club Friday worth your while. If you have extra time, drop by Heather's page at [ www.blondeundercoverblonde.com ] or Katie's at The Nerdy Katie and share your reviews about your latest reads.

My last Book Club Friday post was MK Shaddix's Made With Love.
☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Good Vibes.__RUSS.

20 comments:

Katie said...

I, too, judge books by their covers. It's impossible not to do. If it's not an author I know, and the cover isn't pretty, then don't count on me picking it up. But this book definitely sounds interesting! I'll have to look into it!

Angel E. said...

i'm a sucker for pretty book covers too :) love your review. would definitely look for this book.

Disney for Boys said...

Yep, I would have to agree with the ladies, I too judge a book by its cover! LOL Can't help it, I often look at the cover and judge before I have even read the title! I can't remember the last time I picked up a good fiction, you have inspired me to do so! :)

Disney for Boys said...

I often judge a book by its cover before I have read the title! lol I can't remember the last I read a good fiction, you have inspired me to do so! Thanks!

Disney for Boys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bxcrochet said...

That looks like a fun book to read. I love the cover of it.

Michelle F.

Franc said...

I think having a dictionary type presentation for a story looks really cool and unique too. Credit to the creativity of the writer.

LLoyd FErnandEz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EmmaT said...

I'm so behind in my reading this year, but other things are taking over.

This looks like an interesting format for a book. Not sure how I'd take to it, but great to have different options out there to try.

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

Love is a universal theme, which makes it quite banal unfortunately. But it's good when the writer has a different point of view as in this case. I am curious to read it myself.

Julie Tucker said...

This book looks different and intriguing to me bc of the format and of course it's about LUV at the same time. Very sensual and it looks like a light read. I may go get this while I'm out today. Thanks for the review!

Kung Phoo said...

I honestly am not a reader.. but my wife is and i do not know how she determines how to pick her books.

Fabulous Perks said...

I normally judge a book by the title. This books like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

Rena McDaniel said...

Looks interesting I will have to check it out Thanks!

Couponing in Central Florida! said...

This would make an amazing gift to a spouse, or significant other!! Or for a bridal shower etc.

Jenny Tate said...

I love a catchy cover, makes me intrigued to know what the actual book entails.

Christine D said...

This looks like a book that can 'cure' anything love can throw your way! I really like the cover too.

Chasity said...

To me, a book has to look good to draw you in. I really like the cover of this book. I just wish it had more color.

Natalie S. said...

I normally judge a book by it's cover.. but then I usually read the back of it to see if it's worth reading.. I'm not much of a reader, but this book loos really awesome. Is it on amazon? I need to add it to my wishlist. This sounds like something I would write about love.

Liz Martin said...

This was my favorite word in the book:

Abstraction, n.
Love is one kind of abstraction. And then there are those nights when I sleep alone, when I curl into a pillow that isn't you, when I hear the tiptoe sounds that aren't yours. It's not as if I can conjure you there completely. I must embrace the idea of you instead.

I loved this book. It was a nice read and very different and creatively written.