13 June, 2014

Book Club Friday: Jennifer Smith's This is What Happy Looks Like

I liked the book only til the part that I didn't know anything about the characters. I know this is fiction, but I tried to picture if there's any possibility of having a good thing with an accidental email. Anyways, the plot is something that has been done bazillions of times. In fact, I've seen it so many times in Filipino films and in local TV programs — too predictable.

One of the two books of the month ( for May ) of my book club is Jennifer Smith's THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE. It was an easy read, a good break from my excel worksheets and media plans at work, but it is not for me. I am not the right reader- market- of this book. If I were my 15-year old self, I'm sure I would have gushed the entire time. This is the love story that teenagers would love to read nonstop. If the characters were not 17-year olds, I may have liked the story. HOWEVER, me saying all these does not mean that the book is not okay.

In a nutshell:
Bored, young, handsome, and wealthy boy does a booboo. He's a movie star.

And meets young, not-really-rich girl. They fall in love. They're teenagers.

They think that they're in love. They triumph over the challenges life throws at them.

I'm giving This Is What Happy Looks Like - ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆



I only liked this part and it was at the beginning. This was the part when I didn't know that they were 17-year olds. I liked that the story took off from the email exchange but I really couldn't think how an email message could be accidental. You could missend an email to a person in your contacts, but to send something to a total stranger???

From: EONeill22@hotmail.com
Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:18 PM
To: GDL824@yahoo.com
Subject: what happy looks like
Sunrises over the harbor. Ice cream on a hot day. The sound of the waves down the street. The way my dog curls up next to me on the couch. Evening strolls. Great movies. Thunderstorms. A good cheeseburger. Fridays. Saturdays. Wednesdays, even. Sticking your toes in the water. Pajama pants. Flip-flops. Swimming. Poetry. The absence of smiley faces in an e-mail.

What does it look like to you?



If you're into reading, books ( ebooks ), and stuff, I invite you to share these awesome reads with the rest of the girls at Book Club Friday.
Just head over to Heather's at www.blondeundercoverblonde.com or Katie's at The Nerdy Katie.

My last Book Club Friday post was David Levithan's The Lover's Dictionary.
☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Good Vibes.
__RUSS.

40 comments:

Tonya Lewis said...

Great, I thought I knew what Happy looked like thanks for really letting me know hahaha

P Bishop said...

The absence of smiley face in an email. That was funny. They wouldn't like me! Thanks for the info on ebooks!

Sherri Jo said...

I want to read this... thank you :)

Lavende And Lemonade said...

There was a movie at Cannes along these same lines...an Indian lunch box delivery that a wife sends and gets delivered to the wrong guy. Different technology, but a fun idea. :)

Franc said...

I guess you are at a different level now, which makes the plot not so much applicable already.

Frank Joseph said...

Am a fiction reader and always get that joy of reading summary of books, then I get the urge to read all the book... And this look like something i will love to READ.
Thank you.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

Isn't an email from a stranger considered a spam mail? But the content is really nice!

Sandy Sandler said...

I've read this book and loved it. I did enjoy your review. Thanks for sharing.

Danielle said...

Thank you so much for giving an honest review. So many people give you fluff reviews instead of their honest opinion.

C. Hawkins said...

Interesting - I don't understand how you could randomly email a stranger either lol

Michelle Christopher said...

I hadn't heard of this book. While it is not my speed either (I am way past teenage love stories), I am always looking for a good read.

Shoshanah said...

I've heard great things about Jennifer Smith's books and I do love her covers. Of course I've yet to read a single one, but she's definitely an author I'd love to check out.

Ann B said...

Thank you for sharing your review. I have accidently emailed someone but they were on my contact list. I don't know how you could accidently email someone that you did not know. Makes for an interesting story though.

Rebecca Swenor said...

Sounds interesting and it is possible to send a e-mail to some stranger. Purpose for everything. Thanks for sharing.

Jade Schwartz said...

I think it's a cute story, I love romance and story like this interest me. Even it's for a teenager.

Terri Ramsey Beavers said...

I've not heard of this book before but I'd love to read it to see if it's suitable for Tyler and Alyssa to read. They are bookworms like me but I'm kind of particular about what books I buy them.

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle said...

This sounds like a great read. I also love the idea of a virtual bookclub. Very cool!

LaShawn Wiltz said...

I've never heard of this book before! It sounds like an interesting story.

Elizabeth O. said...

Sounds like a really cute love story! The kind that makes me feel good afterwards!

Saranghae Korea said...

I thought it's a self help book judging from the title. So it;s a romantic novel. If somebody I didn't know send me an email by mistake, I would treat it as a spam and will not bother to even read it. haha...

Roselynn Mercedes said...

I'm totally envious I have wanted to be part of a book club for a long time. I haven't heard of this book before I definitely need a good romance novel to read so I'll be grabbing it on my next trip out.

Lisa Codina said...

I'm always lokoing for a great new book to read!! Thanks for this...this one loos interesting!

Jeanine said...

Thanks for sharing your honest review. I am constantly looking for books to read, or to make sure I avoid... This will be helpful!

Donna L. Ward said...

What an honest review - it does sound like fun possibilities - and yet... - Thank you - It sounds like it had greater possibilities in the plot from what you've said, but oh well!

Dogvills said...

Those are great reading suggestions. I am sure my teen would love to read one them

mail4rosey said...

I have a 16 yr old in the house. I bet she'd love to read it. :)

Chrystal Mahan said...

This sounds like a great book. I am all about books that help others to be happy and enjoy life no matter what their circumstance.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I used to read a lot but nowadays, blogging took over so I rarely find time to grab a book and read. This sounds interesting.

Dawn McAlexander said...

I don't think this book would be for me either. However, it sounds like something my daughter might enjoy!

Adannna said...

I really appreciate your honesty in this review. I love a book that really creative and takes me to new places not the same old tired storyline.

Vaneese said...

I'm pretty particular about the books I read as well. While I am a fan of YA literature, it has to be a certain kind.

Cher said...

Great, honest review. I don't care to spend my valuable time reading books that are that predictable either.

Yona Williams said...

Even as a young adult, I didn't read YA novels. But, happy to me, is seeing a baby laugh. A warm day. Puppies and dogs, in general.

Terry C said...

I have never heard of this book until today. Thanks for giving us an honest review. I might check it out.

Kelly Hutchinson said...

This sounds like a book my daughter would like ,who is an avid reader.

Krystal Butherus said...

I really like the title. It inspired me to think about what really makes me happy. I might have to flip through this one!

Lynndee said...

Sending an accidental email to a stranger is possible. Like when you typed the wrong email add. :) I love the title of the book. Very interesting.

Nile Flores said...

I'm always looking for a new book to read, so I do rely a lot on reviews and recommendations. Thanks for letting me know about this book. :)

Alysia from My Domestic Dish said...

Awh, it sucks that things went really downhill for you and I'm surprised you still gave it 3/5 stars. It seems like the plot line has been reused so many times that it's hard to stay original OR to not bore people with an overdone idea.

The Mommy-Files said...

I used to belong to a book club and loved books like this. Just wish I had more time to read :)