01 July, 2014

HALF-WAY THROUGH 2014

Do you ever get those perfectly random me-time moments, unexpected situations that make you think about life and stuff?

About two or three Wednesdays ago, I got into this reflective mood. The first six months of the year came by so fast. And, with friends getting married left & right + colleagues I've worked with for years resigning, I couldn't help doing a bit of wistful thinking. Then, it rained. I usually don't like because too much rain affects my mood in an annoying way, but that night, on the way home —— the sound of rain was very soothing. I felt like I was a in quiet place :)

I thought about the people in my life, what I've been doing these past months, and how I was doing now considering that I was supposed to make a big move last May but it didn't push through. I really couldn't complain about it. Do you guys remember the time my prayer was not answered? ( You can read about it HERE )  That was an unexpected super low moment, but I have moved on and continue to appreciate the now. I know that my life is not perfect and I do not always get what I want. My Mom would always tell me, "Count your blessings."


"And to be renewed in the spirit of your minds." - Ephesians 4:23
Image from Bahman Farzad

So, I do count my blessings ( instead of troubles ) and I count them twice.Ü It's healthy, you should try it. These little reflections keep me grounded, remind me of my goals, and help me focus on what's important and not on the trivial ones. Prior to writing this one, I read an old post that I wrote in January, MAKING 2014 COUNT, to see if I'm on-track and to find out whether I was going to give myself some great news. With half of the year done, I see that things have not been good because they were definitely better and there's no way I'm complaining about these.

Halfway through 2014, have I made this side of the world a little better? Yes, I think I did.

I have accepted that I'm an adult now, teehee. We all have to make ourselves good at it.
For a time, I was in denial that I'm already one but when I when took on a bigger role because of what my father did to my Mom, I knew this was something I could not say NO to. Since I am the eldest child, by default, I have to be the more responsible one. There are days that it gets tiring because no one prepared me for this, so things become self-taught and you start to find your way around.

And, I started to work on my fail-proof plan of securing a nice, comfortable future. Everyone should.
10% would be planning ahead, the other 90% would be having the discipline to implement your plans. Times are getting tough and tougher. I just want to make sure that I've built enough cushion when the time comes.

Then somewhere along the way in 2014, I rekindled an old love affair with traveling.
I know the year is not yet over, but this is one of the best things that happened to me. I don't know how I managed to squeeze my travels in, but I'm glad I found time for them. Part of me does regret putting this off for a while, but I have P to thank for reminding that I should enjoy the things that I love doing and for encouraging ( sometimes pushing me ) to actually do them.


Good Vibes from a prayer block that I saw when I was Ueno, Japan


I'm happy that some things never change. For instance, wine will always be good :)
It's okay to have it alone and it's perfectly alright to have a glass of wine at 12-noon. It loses its magic if you make a daily habit out of it. Unless it's official business and for obvious reasons, it's best to do this alone.

This year, I learned that the I-don't-care-what-you-think attitude is liberating.
It worked for me and my life has been peaceful ever since. I deal with some people at work who choose to not make others' lives easier. Nothing pisses them off more than seeing you ignore them + you doing your job well.

There's peace in letting go. It's therapeutic and you'll be happier without the excess baggage.
I'm not just talking about romantic love. Letting go of thoughts that are not useful to you will help you de-clutter your mind. At the same time, you'll find yourself sleeping better. Letting go of old stuff that you no longer need will make room for more useful space in your house or in your workplace. I like the experience of finishing something and having to admit to myself that it's nice. The End.

So far, my 2014 has been awesome.Ü
How about yours? ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.

30 comments:

Kenneth Clutario Agudo said...

Nice write ups! This is indeed an enlightening blog. That is true, life is about doing things that you love with your love ones for it feels more worthwhile than doing it alone

Samantha Angell said...

Good for you that you have done a half-year check in of your goals. Its important to evaluate where you are at. And great that you renewed your love for traveling- its a great love to have!

bxcrochet said...

I have had an awesome 1/2 a year too! So far 55 pounds down on my weight loss journey :)

Michelle F.

Kung Phoo said...

I cant believe its July.. For me it can be hard to just let go.. but in order to relieve stress you must let it go.

Mrs. Mashed Up said...

So far my 2014 has been fine. Life over the last two years have been very event filled. I've started to focus on *myself* and *my* goals recently. Should end the year strong.

Heather Jones said...

Its true. You must count your blessings to appreciate what you have. And I always say an unanswered prayer just means something better is in store for you. I love those quiet reflective moments. I need more of them instead of being as busy as I am!

Rachael Yerkes said...

Counting blessings is always a good idea. And the right attitude is everything. Thanks for sharing.

Miriam Schulman said...

I'm so glad that your year is going well, as mine is too. It's always great to have time to reflect, like you have.

Brijdeep Kaur said...

that's a nice writing.. you must find love within yourself and the things you love.. :)

Annemarie Leblanc said...

I like the quote, there's nothing like doing what you love with the people you love.

Bonnie Gowen said...

I have moments like that as well and not particular found of the rain either. I like the paragraph talking about letting go, something I really need to learn to do to declutter my thoughts.

Sweepster said...

Good luck on your path to accomplishing your dreams!

Kira Thompson said...

I loved this post. Your attitude is amazing. I wish I could adopt this in my own life.

Minta's Creations said...

Yes, I so believe in being grateful for what you have and attitude is gratitude. I think you are heading down the right path..and no matter what you want if you believe it will happen as long as you take action but sometimes it won't show up as the way you literally wanted it to happen but it will be for the best.

themommyavenger.com said...

Always so great to stop and reflect and gauge how you are doing. Sounds like you are doing great!

Liz Mays said...

I'm working on that planning ahead thing too. I know what you mean about there being peace in letting go. When I forgave someone something, it was like 100 pounds was lifted off my shoulders immediately.

Hilary @ The RNY Life said...

Letting go is so important. I learned that this year and it has made my life so much better. You seem like you are having a great year :)

Tonya Lewis said...

Very true words. But life gets in the way and makes that very difficult

Marielle Altenor said...

Interesting, I should do that too. So far my year as been so so and filled with ups and downs. It's hard to believe that we are already in July though lol

Sharon Ruggieri said...

Holy crack-a-moly! The year is half done. And very well written, it's often easier to wallow than it is to pull yourself up by your bootsraps and cheer yourself up

Leira Pagaspas said...

It should always start from there doing what you love and really doing it with the people who matter to you.

Rebecca Swenor said...

If you don't let things go, they will eat you alive. There is always something positive in everything negative. Sometimes people don't realize how good their life is and they need to be reminded. Thanks for sharing.

Couponing in Central Florida! said...

Love your quote. I learn something new daily. Your quote reminded me to do what I LOVE every day!

Ann B said...

I can't believe the year is half done either. I have been reflective lately and I think it is because I am about to make some major life decisions that are scary.

mail4rosey said...

It's so very important to have a cushion. I've found 'just in case' scenarios happen all of the time, and if there's no cushion it can get ugly. Hard lessons to learn.

Emilee said...

Ohh gosh this year HAS gone by so fast! The summer will be over before we know it, then it'll be Christmas. Ack.

Lavende And Lemonade said...

Travel is so good for the soul. Glad you're making time for it again

April Decheine said...

Wow half way through 014 already right! I am still envisioning my dream to move South to experience a fulfilled life in the Winter.

MaryJane Tauyan said...

i should probably do things like this and make a list myself for good vibes

Joemill Veloso Flordelis said...

The don't-care attitude resonates well with me these days, too. Ignorance is bliss as they say. :)

Hey, I missed your blog. So, you've changed URL. :)