27 July, 2014

BROW CODE BASICS

Boys, so sorry coz this one's a girlie post :D
About 3 weeks ago, a couple of female colleagues told me that they liked how my eyebrows were shaped and done everyday. Siempre, kinilig naman ako.Ü At the same time, I was surprised that one of them mentioned how she noticed that I don't put a lot of makeup but my brows are always nice. I'm too lazy to do the whole shebang so I always stick to my basics: filled-in eyebrows and lip color. It's the perfectly simple, not time-consuming, won't get me late morning routine. As blah as this sounds, trust me, it creates a nice and sometimes striking effect + it saves time in the morning.

Learning how to fill and shape
I was not blessed with thick eyebrows — this, I think, must be an Asian thing. OR it could be that it really isn't the best feature of either my mom's or dad's side of the family. So I have to do what I gotta do. I was a Freshman in High School when I started shaping my eyebrows. I didn't do it per se because the first and last time I made an attempt to shape them, I ended up with a bald right brow. I looked funny. From then on, I vowed to just let the pros do it. I visit my stylist whenever it's convenient. Then when I went to College, my morning moment started to include doing my eyebrows, and my brow pencil became my super best friend.



Don't forget to groom those arches.
Photo Credit: Beautiful Brows: Put Your Best Face Forward by Michelle Bilodeau


I have this weird habit of looking at women's eyebrows. I won't give details about the stuff in my head because these will surely get me in trouble. Point in fact is, you ought to give those brows a wee bit of time. Filling 'em in should be part of your routine. If you're not convinced, just take a before and after pic of yourself ... without and with shaped and filled in eyebrows. Try to see the difference, then take your pick :)

I have been practicing, doing experiments slash trial-and-error with the tools that I need to use. It took a while before I found the brow tool that's Russ-friendly. It was some time in 2011 ( I was checking out the newly-renovated SM Makati ) when I discovered one of the best things ever ...   Wet N' Wild's Ultimate Brow Kit  . It has a pair of tweezers which I found very convenient, a nice angle brush, slide-out mirror, gel, and two shades of brown that blend perfectly. This product is just amazing.


I get my Wet n' Wild Brow Kit from Pure Beauty, in Alabang Town Center.
Photo Credit: HipCosmetic.Com


To show you guys how awesome it is, check out the two photos below and make sure to look for me. Top photo has me with arches in one thin line and bottom pic has me in — well, I like this more. Same person, better aura.


I look different in these two photos. Yes? No?


And with that, these are the basic brow codes that I think we women should do.
1) Groom + Shape. This is the first step to having vavavoom brows. I've mine done at a brow design studio.
2) You need to pick your weapon and the right shade. Is it a brow pencil? A powder? An eyeshadow? What color?
3) This is the best part: Fill-In + Define. You may visit this page for a really easy-to-follow tutorial :)

One thing that any girl should know about these amazing arches is that, as cliché as this sounds, practice makes perfect.Ü It gets better each time, most especially when you find your own style. ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


45 comments:

Bonnie Gowen said...

I don't wear much make up myself. I may have to try this brow thing your talking about. Thanks for the tutorial.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

I also am not blessed with thick brows, so I'm very thankful that we now have lots of eyebrow products available to beautify ourselves haha. Go to SM MOA next time! Its beauty section is also newly renovated. :)

JackieJacks said...

You need to keep sharing this post and also show people that it's not cool to overpluck your eyebrows. There's not much makeup can do for your brows when all you have is a single line of hairs left. Half of my Facebook friends have these crazy arches and nearly no hair. When they try and put liner or shadow on their brows they seriously look like clowns. I also notice eyebrows before anything else on a face and most of them are tragic!

Couponing in Central Florida! said...

Thank you for the tips. I have very thick eyebrows and get them waxed every other week. But my daughters are super thin, this is perfect for her

Gabby OBrien said...

I have a little brow kit in my makeup kit. I don't find myself needing to tweeze my eyebrows as much since I started using it, since I will just fill in the gaps and make everything even anyways!

Annemarie Leblanc said...

Got to keep those brows in check.

Mrs. Mashed Up said...

Great post! Taking care of your brows definitely changes and defines your face. I definitely see a difference when I neglect my brows (which is often :-/)

P Bishop said...

I have thick eyebrows and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have never touched them. You did a great job of showing how to make your brow a little thicker. Nice job!

Kristin Y said...

Great information. I really have never thought about filling in the eyebrows but I can see how that could really highlight your looks.

Celebrity VIP Lounge said...

I am not a fan of my brows. STarting to get grays too. Amber N

Ann B said...

I never do anything will my eyebrows but I really should! Thanks for sharing the tips.

Rebecca Swenor said...

I know I need to follow your brow code for sure. I brows are thinning with age.
Thanks for sharing.

Jessica Peeling said...

Thanks for the tips! I use Urban Decay's Brow Box and it works so well! Awesome for fill-ins. :)

William Stone said...

As a follow-up post, you should give some direction on the proper amount of shaping (i.e. when enough is enough). I have known several women, my grandmother included, who got carried away with shaping their eyebrows to the point of plucking them of all but a few hairs. Yikes!

Maria Constanza Oller said...

I hate doing my eyebrow I dont like to draw attention to them. One is way lower than the other thanks to a car accident.

mail4rosey said...

I'd like to get mine done professionally at least one time. I don't mind doing them myself, and I appreciate tips always.

Coupondipity said...

Great info...I have to admit, I'm pretty lax about my brow shaping. Need to do a better job!

Texstar said...

Eyebrows can change the way a person looks. Thanks for sharing. ~ Don Purdum

MaryJane Tauyan said...

Nice!! Reminds me to browse my brows tomorrow hahaha love readin g this still trying to learn how to do it properly

Kath Rivera said...

I agree with you that having a groomed and clean brows can make you look different. It can change the way you look giving more define features on your face. Those tips are very easy to follow but it takes time to master and perfect it.

Rachael Yerkes said...

Oh wow, thanks for the tips. this is something I definitely needed to learn.

John Lopez said...

Yes, this is a girl post lol. Cool info for the ladies though. Keep it real.

mommyfix said...

Great tutorial! I definitely neglect my eyebrows during the make-up process...thanks for sharing!!

Leira Pagaspas said...

I need to learn more about this as I don't know how to fix my brows.

Michael said...

I will come back when you post a boys entry! *LOL*

Kristen said...

Nice advice. my mom does this to her eye brows. I have the opposite problem!

Brijdeep Kaur said...

whoa.. that's completely opposite in my case as I have very thick eyebrows, and I need to get them threaded, plucking is so very painful and not my thing, currently I'm using an eyebrow trimmer.. well, you could borrow some from me lol.. that was informative post.. :)

Margaret Darazs said...

Cant wait to try this! Looks fairly easy.

Onica MommyFactor said...

I have never enhanced my eye brows. You have to know what your doing. I'm afraid that once I mess with it, then I have to keep up the maintenance.

Nanda Reis said...

I enhance my eye brows everyday! It makes a huge difference. I never tried this kit but when I find it I will get it =)
I usually enhance my eyebrows with a fine angled brush and a matte brow eye shadow - it works great!!

Happy new Year!

Skinny Brokovich said...

Great way to groom brows. I never thought its that complicated. Happy new year

papaleng said...

Indeed this is not a boys post but I do love girls with thick brows. Gonna share this post to my nieces.

Alissa said...

I'm so blessed to have been born with a thick eyebrow. Used to hate it but now I'm embracing it!

eLaNaKcL said...

I agreed that eyebrow really does bring out the features of our faces. Shaping it is so important.

Franc said...

It's nice that you can now make your brows better and design it to match your facial features. You can definitely have a better brows by following the brow code.

sharon sree said...

I have thick dark brows and to be honest until recently I never bothered too much with them. But in the last couple of months when stronger brows were making a comeback, I experimented a lot with filling and shaping them in. It's a great way of adding depth and definition to your eyes.

Louise Banta said...

I don't put makeup too and my eyebrows were first shaped for our graduation shoot. Days after the shoot, I also got praises how I look better with well-arched eyebrows than before. However, since I'm not that kikay kind, my eyebrows grew and it looks terrible now! Haha. Thanks for reminding me through this post that I will be trying out this brow studio near me. I think just fixing the eyebrows and putting some power and lipstick/gloss is presentable enough. :)

Kaarunya :) said...

I didn't realize so much depended on the eyebrow till I read your post now, thanx for that :) As you mentioned I will surely try a pic with and without :D You will be true and I will have to groom my brows often now :p Keep up your good work ;)

Karen of MrsLookingGood said...

I'm bad when it comes to maintenance and grooming of my brows. I go to the nearest salon near our home just to have it cleaned and shaped.

I totally agree with you that there's a huge difference if you've filled in your brows, mas may dating. But you're very pretty to begin with so mas na enhance lalo.

Fred Hawson said...

Good thing there are now better ways of grooming ladies' eyebrows. Those eyebrow tattoos they used to do before are really ugly when they are already fading.

Angelo The Explorer said...

Great tips for specially for ladies! There are also some men who want to do the same. well not as much as the women of course! Just make sure not to put permanent ones. :) Happy New Year!

Rhea Bue | Styles and Writes said...

This is a nice tip! I will definitely keep this in mind :)

Eliz Obih-Frank said...

After years and years of abuse, my eyebrows need a transplant... Haha! I love what you shared with us.

Nicol said...

brows are definitely important. i always have to do it even if i don't wear makeup

Vanessa said...

I think that every woman needs to take proper care of her eyebrows because they make the eyes more expressive and outline the female beauty, great tips!