16 August, 2014

Food Trip: Where to get the best Lechon in PH

I had an event last 04-JUL and we had Lechon, but I was not able to try even a teeny-weeny piece of it. I have been craving for Lechon for a while so you can imagine how bummed I was. There is one Lechon though that I would love to have ( again ) but it's about a 1.5-hour flight from Manila. Boo.

Lechon, which is roasted suckling pig in Spanish, is not entirely Filipino because there are different versions of it in other parts of the world. It is always a blockbuster here in the Philippines. People get excited when they're told that Lechon will be served at the party. In fact, you will find it most homes during town fiestas, big family gatherings, corporate events, and other festivities. You'd often find this as well during milestone birthdays & anniversaries, Christmas dinners and that makes this scrumptious roasted whole pig is a certified Filipino favorite.


There are a lot of places here in the Philippines where you can order your Lechon. I have tried a lot, but I have my Top 3 that I will always recommend to anyone who would want to serve Lechon for a party or event.


Spot #3 goes to Ping-Ping's Lechon.
Located along the Lechon Capital of the Philippines, Ping-Ping is considered to be one of the Lechon originals in the country. I had a chance to visit and dine at their main branch in La Loma. Aside from Lechon, they also served other Filipino dishes. || Ping-Ping's is at 14 A. Bonifacio Ave., La Loma, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines; Contact Number (+632) 740-2175.

Ping-Ping's Lechon
Ping-Ping's in La Loma, Quezon City


Spot #2 goes to Elar's.
Elar's is very popular amongst caterers. All caterer's I've worked with for my events recommended Elar's. And, whenever they have clients who require them to have Lechon in their menu, this is their go-to place. Following that, most parties that I've attended served Elar's. Last Christmas, Elar's Lechon graced all three (3) Christmas parties that I organized. That's how tried & tested they are.

Since Christmas is a very busy season, we ordered our Lechons a month ahead. You can have it delivered, but it's best to just pick it up. • Elar's is located at 151 Quezon Ave. corner Speaker Perez St., Sta. Mesa Heights, Quezon City; Contact Number (+632) 731-7551.


Spot #1 goes to Zubuchon in Cebu.
This is what I'm craving for and I will happily fly to Cebu just for Zubuchon. It's that good! It's a bit different compared to the other Lechons that I have tried. I learned from one of the guys at their branch in One Mango Building along Maxilom Avenue that their pigs get a lot of TLC from what they eat to how they're taken care of — made me think of Kobe Beef.Ü

Their Lechon is so tender, it practically melts in your mouth! No wonder Anthony Bourdain said that the Cebu Lechon is "the best pig ever" on his show, No Reservations. So, if you ever have the chance to travel to the Philippines in the future and Cebu is part of your itinerary, you cannot not go to Queen City of the South without dropping by one of Zubuchon's branches.

P and I dined at Zubuchon located at One Mango Avenue Building, Gen Maxilom Avenue, Cebu City. This is their contact number: (032) 239-5697. Zubuchon also has a branch for pasalubongs located at the Pre-Departure Lounge of the Mactan Airport.



The Lechon is a guaranteed gastronomic treat that makes any gathering extra-special. And those that are cooked the old-fashioned way will always be exquisitely good. With that, I leave you guys drooling over the Lechon snapshots and promise me you'll try it if you ever get the chance to visit the Philippines.   ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.

35 comments:

Rochkirstin Santos said...

I've heard of Ping-Ping's Lechon in QC but not much interested because our family does not eat pork. Some say we're missing a lot hehe anyway, I can recommend this to parties and events in the office.

Mrs. Mashed Up said...

Yummy looking!! I love crispy pork skin! I'm really going to have to try this style of pork preparation!

Diana Villa said...

I love lechon, is one of my favorite foods. It looks so tasty and yummy, thanks for the great post :D

Cat said...

That looks fantastic! I have always wanted to try some of the food shown on No Reservations.

Ronda Ogilvie said...

I love all things pork! that being said, I'm not sure I could eat it while the head was still attached :( sounds delicious!!

Christine Topley said...

I love pork but looking at these pics my arteries are having a coronary LOL Is it fatty tasting??

Ben Butler said...

This looks delicious! I love pork. I'll bet the skin is tasty as well. I imagine it's all crispy and delicious.

Kath Rivera said...

Lechon is the star of fiestas and celebrations here in our country. Yes, Ping-Ping is one of the oldest store where my family buys lechon.

Bonnie G said...

Wow that's a lot of yummy bacon. =)I wonder what my kids would say when they saw something like this on our table. ;)

Margarita Ibbott said...

That looks really delicious... I've never bee to the Philippines but it looks like I'll have to make a trip now!

Annemarie Leblanc said...

I couldn't eat an entire pig like that, it's just unappetizing for me.

Ann B said...

I've never had pork prepared that way. The meat looks very tasty and moist. I must try it some time.

Angele @Shoeboxbegone said...

not sure I could eat meat that looks like its live form.... but great post!

Maria Constanza Oller said...

OMG I cant stop drooling the pig is cooked really similar in my country is called "cerdo a cruz" it is my favorite way to cook a pork the meat is so tender and packed with flavor.

♥ Vanessa said...

I haven't been to the Philippines in over five years, and am already pre-planning my next trip. I hope to visit again in two years or so. Thank you for the great tips.

Growing Up Madison said...

We don't eat pork but not sure if I would eat this even if I did. Just looks kinda creepy to me. :)

Rebecca Swenor said...

I have never had a pig cooked this way before. I loose my appetite when I see the head. Love pork. Thanks for sharing.

Rayveniael Kel'Adoria said...

I've had Lechon before, as a mexican family feista dish. While it looks a bit intimidating I do enjoy it!

Erin Tracy said...

I've never had suckling pig, but it looks pretty good. We almost went to the Philippines when we lived in Malaysia, but never made it. If we do, we'll have to keep an eye out for these places.

Priscilla Yeo said...

We only have suckling pig on special occasions, especially weddings or some religious rites.
It's a yummy dish for the Chinese here in Singapore!!

Cheers~
Pingerrain*Priscilla
http://www.pingerrain.com

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

We have suckling pig over in Singapore and Malaysia too, and they are often used as an offering or festive celebration. Although they taste delicious, I keep myself away from it for health reasons! Too much fats!

rebecca wong said...

I love suckling pig! LOL!!!! Never tried the ones in Philippines but hopefully soon will have the chance to go there and try. =)

fyhmd said...

I know Elars and I like it. Zubuchon I have tasted, but I was not impressed the two times I tasted it. - Fred

Loudthinkin said...

I don't like pork and I don't think I could ever have this version either.

Vanessa said...

Lechon seems like a great culinary challenge for me to try, it must be something like a typical national dish in the Philippines, I guess. It is great that you also recommend some favorite spots where we can try this meal if we tour the country.

Ling Tan said...

Oh thanks much for this round up! This looks like a must try kinda dish, and th crackling looks too good!

Suzanne said...

This looks and sounds yummy, but I am not sure I could eat something if the face is still attached, LOL.

Franc said...

I have to agree that Zubochon lechon is really delicious. I remember bringing home some from Cebu a few months ago.

Jason P. said...

The search for the yummiest lechon is often a topic for debate everywhere. Lechon is one of my biggest guilty pleasures! Haha! I've yet to try Elar's but Zubuchon is pretty good! :)

Ecuador InMyEyes said...

Yummy pics! Lechon is a big thing here in the Ecuador too. And people love to eat adult pigs that are cooked whole too. Horneado is an adult pig cooked in oven and it's one of my favorite foods. I love to try lechon in the Phillipines! I bet it's really tasty too!

Justin Buenagua said...

Zubuchon is a dream place! I've seen it get featured on various shows and blogs and all they say is that it's the best! I hope I can try it someday.

kanu nato said...

You must try the Bacolod's lechon, it is delicious too. I also love lechon and everytime occasion strikes lechon is always present.

Fernando Lachica said...

Ping Ping's lechon is superb for this kind of food ever since. Really very delicious lechon in town like Lydia's.

Eva Arce said...

Not really fab of lechon but I love it when I see people smashing each and every part of it. Its like there's a contest of something like who would get the best part of the lechon. :)

Eliz Frank said...

I've never heard of lechon before, but I can tell it is a very popular dish. Enjoy yours and keep us posted.