19 September, 2014

ONE TREE HILL LESSON NO. 1: DON'T JUDGE


When we're very much into a series, we usually find ourselves relating to one of the characters. Yes? Agree?

When I was starting to get hooked on One Tree Hill, I didn't expect to see myself in one of the girls in the series mainly because they're in high school. It didn't seem like there was someone who would fit the bill. Or I must have spoken too soon. Come S2 of One Tree Hill, I've grown to love the character of  Brooke Davis  because even at her lowest moments, she's always been the stronger, I-wont-take-crap-from-anyone female characters. Brooke's character has strengths that I have.


Quiet things no one ever knows
I cried a lot during the part where Marvin "Mouth" McFadden delivered an impromptu peer endorsement for Brooke Davis in the episode Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows.

In the series, Brooke Davis was always judged badly by others. I'm so sure that this also happens in the real world —— people pass judgment on others just because they talk this way or because they speak their minds, etc. People judge, without asking. People judge, without understanding. People judge because it makes them feel superior over other individuals. People judge because it probably makes them feel good. It sucks, right? I have had my share of situations when others have already "marked" me even before they get the chance to know me. It gets worse when you're aware and you well know who is saying what about you. While I will truly never understand what motivates those who recklessly judge others away, I have always made a conscious effort to not be anything like that. Yes, it can be avoided.

I used to mind and I usually tell the person off, but as I got older I have mastered the art of not tolerating such actions by simply shrugging it off and letting those who really know me speak on my behalf. As a functioning and responsible adult, I know that time is valuable and I choose to spend mine wisely. When I sense that someone is about to give me another judgmental rant, I walk away. And, if it happens in the workplace, I let my performance and actual, tangible results reflect the kind of person that I am.

There will always be that one person who will always have a problem with you. So, when things go out of hand and all the crap pile up, trust that we all have Mouth McFaddens in our lives who will genuinely be there for us and will stand up for us when the time comes. These are the people who deserve our time, friendship, and love. I don't know if I can convince you to watch One Tree Hill, but please, indulge me on this. This is a portion from Mouth McFadden's speech in one of the episodes of OTH's S2, EP14.

"She never cared what clique I was part of, the kinds of clothes I wore or the fact that I have to ride the bus. She looked past that stuff. This year, Brooke's had her share of ups and downs. Just like all of us, but most of you never saw it.  Because even when life got hard, Brooke never let it in.  She was just - Brooke. Tough, smart, one-of-a-kind." - OTH, Quiet Things No One Ever Knows || Watch it in YouTube


Image Credit: digiday


Be the bigger person, all the time.
I still can't grasp what pushes people to harshly judge someone. And, as if not enough damage has been done, the source unknowingly exerts extra effort to broadcast the bad stuff which feeds on others who share that common interest. It's when extra actions are taken that things are blown out of proportion. To be the bigger person in these kinds of situations means understanding others rather than passing judgment and most importantly validating whatever the information is before believing it. To be the bigger person means knowing when to tell the other person, "Stop. What you're doing is not helping anyone." To be the bigger person means being able to walk away if you need to.
☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


20 comments:

Masshole Mommy said...

You're absolutely right, but sometimes it's not easy to be the bigger person. You know?

Of Coffee and Crackers said...

I was once an avid fan of this Series. Though after the moment Moirah Kelly gave birth, wasn't able to follow it.


Brook was my fave among all the characters... ")

Samantha Angell said...

This is definitely a great lesson. It can be very hard at times not to judge others, but like you said- you never know what is going through their heads, so just be the bigger person and shrug things off!

Liz Mays said...

Everyone's situation is different, and I really try not to judge people because we really don't know their backstory. Even if we did though, it's not our place to decide whether their decisions are right or wrong. I figure if nobody is in danger, then we need to zip it.

Cindy Gordon said...

Sometimes being the bigger person is so hard to do. But its the right thing to do :)

Franc Ramon said...

I haven't watched One Tree Hill but I've heard that the series is great and has a cult following. You are right in always being the bigger person and make the more rational choices.

Sharon Wong said...

I never watched one tree hill, but I agree with you. I think we should all stop judging people.

Sandy Olsen said...

I haven't seen One Tree Hill, but I do agree that we get hooked and start relating to one of the characters in the series. The only TV series I end up listening on these days is The Winx Club (my daughter watches it).

Kathy said...

Relating to the characters is what makes a show great. I'm glad you were able to connect.

Lori @ More With Less Today said...

It is hard to do in the moment, but afterwards, it feels great. It takes practice!

Bonnie Gowen said...

I don't understand why others judge so badly either. Pretty sad.

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

I have to agree what you said - sometimes, you just have to walk away, if you need to.

mail4rosey said...

I haven't seen One Tree Hill. Sounds like it's good though!

Ellie Swinton said...

I LOVE One Tree Hill so much! I actually haven't watched it for ages so maybe I can revisit soon... Completely agree with what you say about Brooke, she's definitely a strong woman x

Hil'Lesha O'Nan said...

Wonderful article, and I couldn't agree with you more!

Ann B said...

As hard as it can be to turn the other cheek, it is important to remember we do not know what the other person is going threw. I try to smile and walk away if i have to.

Rebecca Swenor said...

I feel most people that don't judge others are the ones that grow the most. I would not what to be judged so I don't for the most part. Thanks for sharing.

Robert Rammuny said...

You're so right about this. No one should judge people before knowing their full story.

Margarita Ibbott said...

When you judge people it is a reflection of your own insecurities. Sometimes we need to look inwards to understand why we do things. Great post!

Erica Brooks said...

Good post. I've never watched One Tree Hill but I definitely agree that we should not judge anyone.