17 October, 2014

Ramen Love at Nihon Bashitei

I grew up not liking noodles mostly because I always heard my Mom tell our helpers, whose favorite afternoon merienda was instant noodles, to not make my younger brother and I have them. She hasn't changed her thoughts about instant noodles. Up to now, she still thinks that there is zero- nada- nutritional value in them. My brother had this instant noodles phase and boy, he really never heard the end of it. Mom would lecture him and giver 101 reasons why instant noodles are unhealthy. Her motherly words have always influenced my lack of appreciation for noodles.

Albeit a late bloomer, my love for noodles, particularly for Ramen, started when I watched Brittany Murphy's film The Ramen Girl on HBO in 2008 — it's a nice film and a pretty effective ramen Marketing tool. So, when I finally tried it in its true form ( yes, the non-instant version ), Ramen instantly became my favorite comfort good. And, since then, I have always loved Ramen.

My huge bowl of Shoyu Ramen. Best Price at P180, approx. $4.


Getting lost in Manila for the love of Ramen
One Saturday, my colleagues and I agreed to have Ramen for lunch. Kathrina would always invite us to go out for non-office food, but our other colleague ( Marvin ) and I always said no to her. There was this one Saturday though that was a perfect time to make-up for all the times I have willingly declined all the lunch offers.

Saturday work usually ends at 12-noon, but for different reasons we all had to extend that day. That's how my colleagues and I ended up looking for Nihonbashi Tei in Manila. It took us practically forever to find it. Oddly, we did not find it on Waze because Kathrina misspelled the name of the restaurant. What a major and unnecessary blunder. I really wanted Ramen that afternoon so there was no way that I was giving up on this. Despite being a little agitated, we continued on our journey to find Nihonbashi Tei. Besides, both Katrina and Marvin highly recommend Nihonbashi Tei so I was under the impression that the place earned a reputation for being one of the go-to places for good Japanese food for tourists, Japanese expats, and locals.

Girlfriend Tip: If ever you're in the area and you plan on heading there you're supposed to drive by Bocobo Street, Maria Orosa, and finally Mabini. You'll go past Pan Pacific. The most visible landmark is The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf along Mabini Street. It has a nice facade and it's huge. You can't miss it.



Inside Nihonbashi Tei. It reminded me of one of the restaurants I went to in Roponggi.


Cheapest + Delish Ramen in Manila
Kathrina shared that the place is usually packed especially on weekdays. We were lucky that there was no queue that afternoon. It only took a few minutes til we got our Ramen fix. Nihonbashi Tei's Ramen is not as bold & flavorful and as colorful as Ikkoryu Fukouka's or the other more creative Ramen restaurants that have been sprouting left & right, but it's definitely a good place to go to for Ramen.

IMHO, everything on the menu of Nihonbashi Tei's reasonably-priced. For a place that is not a fast food joint, I was surprised that everything is very very affordable.


Chuka Tsukemen, P280 ( $6.20 )


My ramen companions & I, with happy tummies.



Will I come back? Definitely. And, it isn't because food's cheap. I genuinely enjoyed how unpretentious the restaurant is, the excellent service and authentic Japanese hospitality shown by Nihonbashi Tei's team, and their food. It's a place in Manila where I'm sure to get a nice Japanese meal and a hearty bowl of Ramen with fresh noodles, Onigiri, and Iced Coffee ( must-try! ) or Nata de Coco. They also have Kimchi on their menu so this gives me another reason to visit again. Yup, believe it or not I eat my Ramen with Kimchi.

Overall, my Nihonbashi Tei experience is alright so it gets my Ramen approval.Ü And, turns out it sits next to our project's show room & business center in Manila so there is huge chance that I will come here often. I might even try something non-Ramen next time. I heard their Sukiyaki is a best-seller.  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


★ ★ ★ ★ ☆


✎  NIHONBASHI TEI
  +632.708 2807
  483 Pedro Gil Street, Ermita, Manila ( across The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Mabini )


60 comments:

Masshole Mommy said...

Sounds like the food there is really close. I haven't had ramen in ages and now I want some!

Liz Mays said...

I've only tried ramen once and I didn't like it, but I think it was because of the broth. I just need to try again!

tracerscouponaffair said...

That looks so yummy!

Catherine Sargent said...

I have only had the packaged Ramen. I would love to try real fresh Ramen it looks really good.

Marie Moody said...

I love, love, love Chinese food, but it's when I don't know what it is that I won't eat it.

Andi said...

There is absolutely NO comparison between instant ramen and the real thing - so glad you finally had the change to try it and love it. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area there are so many awesome ramen places - I am super lucky!

Kung Phoo said...

I like noodles also.. ramen noodles here come in packages of 50..

Carra D said...

Looks great! Glad you enjoyed your meal. It's always about the experience I have at a restaurant , if a place has affordable great food but bad customer service, who wants to go back. It's all about the overall experience.

jen temcio @dapperhouse said...

This looks delicious and healthy. I would love to visit here and try their food!

Ann B said...

I've never had Ramen noodles. I know a lot of people who love them. The dishes you shared look fantastic.

FamiGami said...

I love ramen but I can't say I've ever had it in a restaurant. Sorry to hear it wasn't better than average.

jo said...

Why do I have to see this at midnight. Now I can't cook and all the restaurants are closed. Anyway, I have been there, but I guess I'll try it when I get home. :) Hopefully soon!

Kath Rivera said...

There are so many Ramen Houses today here in our country. I don't know where to eat, the only ramen I tasted was from Tokyo Tokyo.

Eliza Ferree said...

I grew up on the instant ramen noodles and loved them. Today I still make them for the kids but unlike as a kid I throw veggies, eggs and hot dogs in it to give it a bit more food. My son always quotes the fact there is no nutritional value, to which I reply add up everything else I put into it. haha. Sounds like you found a place that would be worth visiting again. Glad you were able to find some type of like for ramen, I've never ate it at a restaurant before.

mail4rosey said...

I haven't tried ramen, but I would like to try it. I bet my husband would love it for sure.

Bonnie Gowen said...

I love noodles. I would love to give this a try sometime.

Faithfully Free Blog said...

Never tried ramen. Think it is time to change that.

Ashley Nicholas said...

OMG, that looks amazing!! Ramen is my favorite food!

Michelle said...

I used to buy instant ramen until I became more salt conscious. I've never had fresh ramen before.

Natalie H said...

Look at all that soju, sign me up.. haha that food looks amaizng.

John Benliro said...

I wasn't a fan until I personally have a taste of it a few months back. A Thai friends introduced me to a Ramen house and instantly, I fell in love. Now I am heading back there. :)

Kylie wenn said...

Yummy! I love Ramen!!! Time to eat!

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

Honestly, I think Nihon Bashitei's ramen isn't that good as compared to my favorites Ukkokei and Ramen Nagi. You should try the Spicy Tuna rolls there next time, they're super good!

Franc said...

Ramen has been a real favorite now. I hope to try this one too as it's just nearby.

Louise Banta said...

With all honesty, I can't say much about Ramen because I haven't tried one and I don't have any plans of trying too. I love noodles but I don't know why I don't like the look of ramens. Weird, I know. But if ever I do try one, I would go back to this post and tell you about it.

I'll suggest this place to my friend who REALLY loves Ramen. Every week she has to eat this. Hehe.

xo,
Louise of The Legendary Ukayista | Bloglovin'

Fernando Lachica said...

Never tried this Japanese outlet but I loved ramen and anything noodles especially Chinese. Yes, actually, some kind of noodles fits for this kind of meal.

Fred Hawson said...

Ramen priced below P300 is already reasonable. I like ramen very much but I think more than P300 per bowl is too expensive for a bowl of noodles. I am curious to try this one out.

Sim @ SimsLife.co.uk said...

That looks absolutely delicious! Never tried ramen before but will do the next time I see it on a menu! Simone x

Loudthinkin said...

I love noodles... There are so many ways to make it healthy. But I have a taste for Maggie noodles popular in india and not so much for Ramen

Eric Leen said...

Thank you for the review. My future wife and I are researching for Japanese restaurants for our travel next month. This will be included in the list. We just love Japanese food and restaurants. Aside from being nutritious, they always make sure the taste is awesome. Can't wait to visit there. I wish and I pray they will set up a branch in Negros.

Eric Leen I LOVE NEGROS

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

I am really not a ramen fan at all - but I guess I could give this one a try.

Miss `Chievous said...

Haven't tried an authentic ramen yet! Just the instant ones. I should probably try one soon.

Hazel Ann Lo said...

Hmmmm... I would totally bring my boyfriend to this place soon! :) We just love food and we are slowly learning to love Ramen. Do they have another branch in Metro Manila? Hmmm.. even if they don't I think the trip there will be worth it!

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I used to love ramen, until I know how much calories is in a bowl! Haha, avoiding them like crazy now!

Suzanne said...

Always great to find a restaurant that is inexpensive yet makes great food. I can see how happy it made you rand your friends ;-)

Chelsi Bernardino said...

This post makes me crave for ramen at this moment!
It looks so yummy and very affordable. :)

Jason P. said...

I've only been to their branch near Pasong Tamo and I definitely agree that the food is authentic and affordable! I'm so happy there's a branch in Ermita which is about a hundred times nearer to me! So excited to go back! :)

Eliz Frank said...

You take great photos! You made the simple, yet tasty Ramen noodle dish look like a gourmet feast... Delicioso!

Marc Teng said...

I am a ramen lover too, and I look forward to try this soon. Nice blog btw.

Esther Ju*Lee said...

ramen is one of my comfort foods! and i loved ramen girl.

Sarah-Louise Bailey said...

Oh my goodness what an amazing looking restaurant and that bowl of raman for the price is absolutely amazing! x

JOJO VITO said...

Oh I love ramen, its my comfort food. And your photo of it made me crave now :)

ROBERT LEE said...

Good find. I myself love noodles. While my go to noodles are Chinese, Japanese is second. As a matter of fact, last night I went to the closest place to where I live. Shangri-La Mall was closed so I went to Greenfields and ate ramen!

Victoria Heckstall said...

I am a huge fan of noodles, I want to go there and try this ramen,

Aziel Morte said...

Sounds so Yummy! I love ramen so much I love to go there

Jessica Harlow said...

Ramen Noodles definitely are not a dietary staple in our house...I kind of see your Mom's point! lol But, that being said, I'm not a stranger to them either. They do come in handy for some recipes and the nutritional value can be upped by adding other foods to them!

Kendra Williams said...

I haven't had ramen in a long time. All of your food looks so good!

berlin domingo said...

My mom would say the same words as well. She restricts my boys to eat noodles. Now, i am married to a guy who loves ramen and anything with noodles. The boys then grow up eating them and loving them, basta not the instant ones.

Rej Relova said...

I loved The Ramen Girl! I watched it my Dad way back and it did entice me to know more about Ramen. I've only tasted instant ramen before because of a Korean grocery store back in Legazpi. I've been wanting to try out legit ramen here in Manila but can't seem to find the perfect resto near our place which is not only accesible but also affordable. Manila is a bit too far from our house so my hesitation is building. I would love to give it a try though!

Sydney Fashion Hunter said...

I can understand your Mum not really wanting to eat instant noodles. There is not much to them but there is a big difference between instant and fresh! Ramen is something I still need to try. Sooner rather than later I hope!

Jessica Ayun said...

I guess I need to lecture my mother about instant noodles the 101 reasons. haha. She never listens to me and continue to buy for my brother's craving. You got a great find in terms of price and taste. I normally get really good ramen that cost higher than what you tried. I and my girl friends should check this out.

Gene said...

I'm not really into Japanese food but I crave every now and then. And since the food scene is really saturated now, I'll take your word and will definitely try this. Not to mention reasonably priced! Btw I so love your mom's statement on noodles. LOL.

Laveena Sengar said...

I haven't had ramen in such a long time. I think just tried twice. If your favourite food joint is near by it's real cool. I would love that.

Glenda·K Blogger said...

I haven't had romen in years. Although 2 of my kids love the taste of it very much.

Sam (@followyouroad) said...

This is the second ramen post I've seen today! Looks like a sign to me. The food looks great and the ambiance. It's the kind to take your boss to :)

Dominic Barrios said...

Hmm the place looks small if I'm going to judge the restaurant by it's parking space. But basing on the interior, the place looks really neat and well-maintained. The prices do look reasonable. So far, that's the range of the prices of ramen's I've seen via blogs. Hoping to get a taste of these Ramen hype.

CourtneyLynne said...

Omg can we say yum?!?! I just love ramen!!! Must give this place a try!

Mommy Rockin' In Style said...

I didn't know there is such a good ramen house around Ermita. Hubby and I will definitely go and check this out. The food looks delish! Thanks for sharing!

Mhaan | www.mommyrockininstyle.com

Kandi said...

Ramen sounds amazing right now! I need to try to find some!

Veronica said...

My mother used say the same about the instant noodles and ... what can I say, I agree with her lol
Although it seems to be a super fast and easy to make food, I would still not go for it. Even though I believe that it will taste good... mama was right hehehe