07 November, 2014

Book Club Friday: Colleen Hoover's Ugly Love

This is the first time that I've read a Colleen Hoover title and I'm happy to share that I finished the book in half-a-day. I wasn't blown away because I have outgrown chick lit, but I must say that I genuinely liked Colleen Hoover's writing style in Ugly Love. It was sort of poetic-lyrical, which I found fresh compared to the other books I have read. It was also a pleasant break from all the corporate documents that greet me everyday. I liked how her tone shifted chapter after chapter, seamlessly integrating flashbacks to the present without getting the reader lost and at the same time pulling the reader to finish the story because

In a nutshell:
This super duper hot guy is jaded, is stuck in his past, and refuses to let go.

Then comes this super duper hot girl who kind of changes his life.

They spend a lot of time together & things get complicated + ugly.


Colleen Hoover's Ugly Love explores this power of love that most of us fear. I'm not an exception to this. It shows us how awful it gets when something very special is lost. I hate it when stories of perfect couples end ( I guess what they have is not-so-perfect after all ) ... putting the pieces together and getting your life back on track are two of the most challenging things to do especially if what was there in the past was something very beautiful.

How does the present compete with the past that's no longer there but hasn't really left? Tragic, ain't it? "Ugly love becomes you. Consumes you. Makes you hate it all. Makes you realize that all the beautiful parts aren't even worth it. Without the beautiful, you'll never risk feeling this. You’ll never risk feeling the ugly. So you give it up. You give it all up. You never want love again, no matter what kind it is, because no type of love will ever be worth living through the ugly love again."

But then, "God gives us the ugliness so we don't take the beautiful things in life for granted." :)

I'm giving Ugly Love - ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆



Did you read anything good or fun lately? I invite you to share these awesome reads with the rest of the girls at Book Club Friday.
Just head over to Heather's at www.blondeundercoverblonde.com or Katie's at The Nerdy Katie.

My last Book Club Friday post was Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.
☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Good Vibes.__RUSS.

35 comments:

Fiona said...

It's great that you enjoyed this book, four out of five stars is a great rating. I so wish I could devote time to reading an actual book. I miss reading literature other than blogs.

Franc said...

I like the insight of the book that the ugliness is what makes beauty standout. It would also help us appreciate the beauty.

Kung Phoo said...

I like that.. he does give us ugliness so we appreciate the better things in life.

Catherine Sargent said...

This sounds like a good book. I will add it to my must read list.

Lynndee said...

Haven't heard of this author before but based on your review, it makes me want to grab this book pronto and read it. I do wonder if the library has it. :)

Erica Brooks said...

I usually read personal development or mystery books but this sounds like a good read. I'll have to check out Book Club Friday.

Brandy said...

I would totally love to read this book; sounds like I may cry a little reading it but it would keep my interest. Will look into it, thank you!

Nina Say said...

What a powerful feat ugliness is. I'd love to read this book.

Emilee said...

I haven't read this yet. I'll have to add it to my goodreads account. Thanks!

Ann B said...

I have not heard of this author before. I will have to check out this book next time i am at the bookstore.

Touristmeetstraveler said...

The cover art looks really well done and the title really grabs my attention, this Colleen Hoover novel sounds like one I'll have to give a read.

Liz Mays said...

I'm surprised, but this actually sounds quite interesting to me. I may have to check this one out!

Esther Ju*Lee said...

haha i like your in a nutshell summary. :) i've been trying to catch up on my reading. i'm so behind on my reading goal. do you use goodreads?

Shaney Vijendranath said...

Sounds like something I will enjoy reading, hope it's available here in South Africa.

Elizabeth O. said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Just hoping I have all the time.

April Mims said...

This sounds like an interesting book. It's always nice to have a quick, easy read.

Rebecca Swenor said...

Sounds like an interesting book indeed I will have to read this one. Thanks for sharing.

Coolmoms Cooltips said...

I haven't read anything lately. But I would be curious to read this!

Lale Gil said...

I've never even heard about that author. Its always nice to add another book to my to-read list!

Miranda Myrabev said...

sounds like my kind of a good book, thanks for sharing might add it to my list

Cia Says said...

Losing love IS the fear. This book is definitely of interest.

Cia Says said...

Losing love IS the fear. This book is definitely of interest.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

I haven't read any books lately as I am very caught up with work. That's a good ending quote to remember. The same thing is that God lets us see darkness to let us appreciate the light! :)

HilLesha O'Nan said...

Cookie cutter books don't interest me in the least, so this is definitely my type of book to read!

mail4rosey said...

Ugly really does make you appreciate when things are good. Thanks for sharing it!

NJ @ A Cookie Before Dinner said...

I'm always looking for new books to read. I keep a running log in my planner so I don't wander aimlessly when I head to the library. I'm going to add this one to my list!

jo said...

I haven't heard about Ugly Love but I think it sure is an interesting read. I'll suggest this to my sister too.

Alysia from My Domestic Dish said...

I feel the same way- I've outgrown Chick Lit, or maybe it just wasn't my preferred genre from the start lol.
That being said, I like one that's a bit more real in the sense that it gets ugly at some point too. I hate those books where it's "Will she, won't she? Will he, won't he?" the whole time and you just *know* in the end that things end up hunky dory -_-

Melissa said...

I'm not really one for any romance style books, but the ugliness of this has my interest piqued. I just may have to check it out myself.

Carly said...

This sounds like a really good book. I will be adding ugly Love to my To Read list!

Erin Kennedy said...

Always looking for a good read. Thanks!

Ecuador InMyEyes said...

Sounds like a really good book to read! I love your review of it!

Krystal Butherus said...

Just added it to my Good Reads account! Will check it out soon.

Jessica Doll said...

Great review. I've got to get some more time together to actually read books. :)

Liz Martin said...

I enjoyed reading this book Russ. :) And I have to say bonus points for me is that the book's got some quotable lines. :)