15 November, 2014

HONEY + LEMON MASK = EPIC


I was never the cleanse-exfoliate-tone-moisturize kind of girl and I owe this to genetics. My Dad has nice, clear skin and I think I got this from him. For the longest time, my skincare routine included washing my face in the morning, removing makeup as soon as I get home, and washing it again before going to sleep. When I was in my 20s, I got a few sun spots that looked like mini-freckles probably from being at the beach almost everyday ( this was for work ) and from exposure to the sun whenever I travel. However, it could also be that I didn't get them entirely from environmental factors. It could also be genetics because my Mom's side of the family has Spanish blood or something. She, my grandparents, and all her siblings have freckles.

What made me change my mind?
I'm 32 and I'm always mistaken to be at least 10 years younger my age ( really thankful for the genes, Mom & Dad ). I'm 32 and  I want to age gracefully.  That's when it hit me that I need to start taking care of my skin. I'm not-so girlie-girlie and I'm still staying away from chemicals like I always have, but it's time to love thy body more.



One morning in January of this year, I just woke up and felt that I needed to give my skin more TLC. I started this regimen in January and it worked well with me. I know this because I had several folks tell me that I was "glowing" ( yea, that was the term they used ) a month after. My Mom's sister even asked me what I was doing.

We're bombarded with advertisements that constantly dictate which skincare products men and women should use in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and yada yada yada but really, I just want to keep mine simple.

So, to whoever thought of the Honey-Lemon Mask, you're a genius! The combination of these two apparently help keep the skin supple with the glowing, brightening effect. It also turns out that when these two are put together and are used on the skin, their anti-bacterial properties can help treat zits and fight acne. I have used this mask months ago and I'm back on it.

You'll need ....
a. 1/2 Lemon
b. 1-2 Tablespoons of Honey ( the one that doesn't attract ants )
c. A small dish
d. Spoon
e. Baking Soda ( optional, not-so recommended )

What to do.
a. Wash your face and pat your skin dry. Very Important: Wash your hands before mixing the ingredients.
b. Squeeze the half lemon into a small dish or small bowl.
c. Add the honey, then mix the ingredients using the spoon.
d. Finally, apply your Honey-Lemon Mask onto your face. You can also apply it to your neck.
e. Leave for about 10-20 minutes. There's a bit of tightening that you'll feel. It's normal.
f. Wash the mask off with cold water.


Baking Soda is totally optional and is not recommended because of its PH level, which is more alkaline. It tends to strip off the protective part of the skin, but I've used it the very few times that I felt like exfoliating. This is a skincare regimen that I swear by and do twice a week, tops. Lastly, what makes this DIY Honey-Lemon Mask even more amazing is that the ingredients are not hard to find.Ü How about you? Do you have a favorite homemade mask?  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.

PS. Photo Credit(s)
Runny Honey
Lemons

50 comments:

Terri Ramsey Beavers said...

I love trying to take care of my skin so I'm going to try the Honey-Lemon Mask. You are so lucky to have good genes. I have to really work at looking my age, 10 years years ago, like you, I looked 10 years younger. No more though :/.

Jennifer Corter said...

I'm most definitely going to have to give this a try! Bookmarking! Thank you for sharing!

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

That sounds so refreshing! I bet that would be great to do first thing in the morning as a little "wake me up."

Fiona said...

This mask sounds lovely for the skin. I wonder if it could be made into a body scrub with some sugar or sea salt?

Shirgie Scf said...

Wow, another wonder courtesy of the great Lemon. I am also using lemon, not for the skin though but for my scalp care. It;s winter here in Korea and I am not happy with what's going on to my hair and scalp and lemon is my DIY remedy.

joannappok said...

This is great! I've put just plain honey on my face before and it did wonders. I've never thought of adding lemon into the mix as well! I feel like it would really clear up my skin. Thanks for the great DIY recipe! I'm bookmarking this :)

Heather Jones said...

Oh never thought of putting these two ingredients on my face, but it turns out I have them on hand, so I just might experiment.

Catherine Sargent said...

This sounds interesting. I have never used a mask before. I may have to try this.

Melissa Vera said...

I too need to take care of my skin. Thank you for this mask recipe.

spiffykerms said...

Awesome. I can imagine that this mask would be super hydrating, and especially brightening if you'd continue using it for a number of years.

Delia @ Happy Blogger Plaza said...

This DIY mask sounds wonderful and oh so natural! Just used the exact one bought from the store though. What are the odds, I know!

CourtneyLynne said...

This face mask sound amazing!!!!

Mama to 5 said...

This sounds amazing! Reminds me of what I put into my tea! Sounds great for the skin!

Franc said...

It looks easy to do and also effective. It's much safer too because of its natural ingredients.

Trisha Grimes said...

I am going to give this a try! I've never made my own facial mask so this should be interesting! I could really use a little skin pampering though and love that this mask has anti-bacterial properties!

Sandy Olsen said...

I had always been sceptical about face masks. Only recently, I'm starting to think about applying one. I like the home made recipe.

Eileen Chow said...

I love trying home DIY treatments. Sometimes you just don't know what is put into cosmetics. Thanks for sharing!

Johanna Both said...

Yeah, fortunately i have the good genetics as well. But in wintertime i always feel like my skin needs a little bit more pampering. This is great diy recipe to start with. Thnx for sharing.

Amanda Kee said...

I love DIY mask. I been doing them every now and then for a few years!! They are fun to do with little girls too! hehe. Sleep over and homemade DIY mask. they love it!

Ann B said...

I love reading DIY recipes. Thanks for sharing. This looks like something my skin would love!

Annemarie Leblanc said...

This face mask sounds amazing, it must smell very good too.

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

PErfect combination - lemon and honey always go well together! PErfect!

Cindy Gordon said...

I am going to have to try this! Got it marked for later!

Sophie's Plus Size Wonderland said...

Will be having a go at this!

Krystal Butherus said...

I've always wanted to make my own face masks! This sounds like a fun idea!

My Thirty Spot said...

Great mask! Much needed for these colder months!

Bonnie Gowen said...

This sounds really fun and refreshing. Will have to try this soon.

Yona Williams said...

I am like you...I would like to say that I look younger than my age...and never really paid attention to active skin care and anti-aging remedies much. I recently started to realize that you are never too young or too old to take precautions to "fight the hands of time." Remedies from nature are some of the best things we can use!

Rubbie Anne Abad said...

SOunds easy to do! Time to try this

Loudthinkin said...

Honey and lemon have so many good ingredients, no wonder your skin is glowing. Will definitely try this mask!

Fernando Lachica said...

Honey and lemmon are the primary ingredients in exfoliating facial skin. It really gives positive results.

Anna Sundqvist said...

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you want to age gracefully ! It is so important to start taking care of your skin from an early age - we all think we are invinsible when we are young but , trust me, you will be so thankful you did when you get older !

Jason P. said...

Will most definitely try! I've been hearing so many good things about honey I really have to try :D

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

This is definitely a tried and test formula, but just be careful for those with sensitive skin as the lemon might be too harsh on the skin. So put for a shorter time if you have sensitive skin!

May De Jesus-Palacpac said...

Oh wow! What honey doesn't attract ants? I wonder. I like buying the ready-made masks but I think I want to try this one just to experience it.

Fred Hawson said...

I am not too keen on putting honey on my face. But yes, I guess it would be better than putting chemicals. Same as you, I am just a simple soap and water guy, but with age yes, I need to moisturize more.

Stephanie said...

I've been using various honey masks for years. The only thing I don't like is how it tickles your face when it starts to heat up on your skin. I always have to put a towel around me to catch the drips LOL

Angelo The Explorer said...

I dont really put mask on my face, but since this is all natural, I guess I can try and make this tomorrow!

Franc said...

My worry here is it might be too sticky for the face. I'm sure though that it will work just fine.

Roj Tom said...

For me these kinds of mask, especially with lime will get me into allergy. But of course it will be helpful for anyone who is not having these issues..

Louise Banta said...

By just looking on the photo and imagining it on my skin, it already feels refreshing. I will try this out and I'm hoping it will work on me too. Thanks for sharing.

Raymond Vasquez said...

I don't really put something on my face.haha I do wash my face in the evening and in the morning, and well in the middle of the day especially when I just went out and felt that dust are on it, but that's it.

Not much fan of applying anything on my face. Your natural approach is interesting, will share that one to my sis and mom. :-)

Gillian Ong said...

I'm going to try this mask! I'm a huge fan of honey lemon :P

Hannah Green said...

I love DIY masks, the more organic the better. This sounds like a good one x

Suzanne said...

I am fortunate to have good skin as well, but yes, age will change that up I am sure. I like the idea of an inexpensive mask that works, thanks!

Miss `Chievous said...

Homey and lemon?! But they're both expensive!! Lol. This must be good for the skin though.

Eliz Obih-Frank said...

This just sounds so wonderfully refreshing that I will try it. Lemon is a great skin brightener so I'm looking forward to it. A bit of oatmeal in it is good too.

Alissa said...

I've heard about this but didn't try it. Now that I've seen this again, it's like its calling my name to try it out. Very natural too!

Kylie wenn said...

I love to drink honey lemon juice... Now I know they make a great combination for mask, too!~

eLaNaKcL said...

Nice! I love DIY mask too.