23 December, 2014

Dinner w- Friends + The Best Craft Beer in Singapore


While some say that social media and technology hurt friendships, I don't think this is always the case. Both may be a blessing and a curse, but for the most part, I have always been grateful for 'em and how they've helped keeping in touch with family and close friends a lot easier. At the start of the year, I made a promise ( and a pseudo-resolution ) that I'd make extra effort to meet up and hang with friends. I still believe that nothing beats face-to-face human interaction. Agree?

It was the right thing to do after almost two years of going dark & avoiding people. So, when I was sure that I was flying to Singpore, I took my chance to meet up with friends that I have not seen in a looooong time. I had dinner with Joe and his wife, Kelly. Nicolo, one of our batchmates who's taking his masters in Singapore joined the three of us while I was there. It's such a grown-up thing to do when you meet with friends while you're traveling — that may just be me, but I'm sure you get what I mean. [ Read: Side Trip: Bugis ]





Clarke Quay


Captivated by Clarke Quay
I can't help but think about a portion of Pasig River when I was at Clarke Quay and Riverpointe. There's a portion in Makati going to Rockwell that can be turned into something like this.Ö I'm sure that it would have been a huge hit here in the Philippines. It's just too bad that Pasig River isn't exactly something that would draw people in.

Going back to the trip :)
I'm not too sure how long Joe & Kelly have stayed in Singapore, but I found it so cool how they're like locals already. We had dinner in Marché at Somerset. It can be tricky at first, but I liked the concept of the restaurant and I can't wait for them to come to Manila sans the strictness. I find it strange that at this day & age where every business takes a lot of extra promotion from social media shares, I was told that taking photos isn't allowed inside. Thus, I got nothing of Marché to show you guys.

My friends brought me to Clarke Quay. We did walk a lot and it was all cool. Walking just seems to be a lot more fun when you're in a different country.


The Turkish Man who sells and flips ice cream in Clarke Quay is both a charmer and a performer.


Zobel Represent.Ü Joe + Russ + Nicolo


Brewerkz, I'll be back.
Beer was never my poison of choice because it makes your belly big. However, you won't ever hear me say no to it when on a trip, much more if it's craft beer.Ü Joe took me to Brewerkz. He and Kelly say that  Brewerkz  is the ultimate beer place in Singapore. Vince, another friend of ours, told me that it's one of his favorite places in Singapore and he never fails to go there whenever he flies to SG.

Craft Beer ( as always ) and Brewerkz didn't disappoint. It was bustling with locals and tourists and we're lucky that there were still seats for us. If you're the type of traveler, who, like me, enjoys a drink or two when traveling, you might want to check out Brewerkz. You'll love their signature and seasonal beers. The Honey Apricot Ale and the Black & Blue Berry Mead were my favorites.


Brewerkz Beer Sampler: Pick any four beers of your choice.


And more craft beer to enjoy :)


With Nicolo, Kelly, and Joe.


The evening didn't end at Brewerkz. After everything we had, we still managed to save room for Twister Fries. Yup, we walked some more to go to McDonald's to get Twister Fries, which at that time, we no longer had in the Philippines so it was such a treat when I found out there were Twister Fries in Singapore. Please don't judge me, lol.




If only I had extra days to spare, we would have gone to more places but it looks like I will just have to visit then again soon. Knowing that you have friends-friends in another country that you can ring anytime to hang with is such a huge comfort. So, if any of you guys will be in Manila in the nearer future, be sure to let me know. We read each others' blogs and I'm sure we're all getting to know each other pretty well. I'd love to meet you in person during one of my trips or one of your travels. I think that'll be awesome. ☮..Peace + _Love + Spreading Some Travel Vibes. RUSS.


50 comments:

Masshole Mommy said...

I think some face to face interaction is ok, but I am totally ok with a relationship being totally online, too. Singapore sounds absolutely amazing. I would love to go!

Tanya Coffman said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure of Singapore! It would be nice to have a few extra days while your on a trip to see the sights...but at least you found your Twister Fries! :D

lisa said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun! I am so jealous, i wish i could go!

Rochkirstin Santos said...

How I miss Singapore with all your stories and photos! The Clarke Quay is really a cool place where it's best to hang out and enjoy the view at night :)

The Mommy-Files said...

It sounds like you had an awesome trip! I definitely agree that walking seems like a lot more fun when you're in a different country - ha ha! Sounds like a great restaurant.

mail4rosey said...

We don't have Twister Fries at our McDonald's. I'm curious now. :) Looks like you had a great time out!

Esther Ju*Lee said...

we've only done a long layover in singapore.. but we had no idea about the craft beer scene. hopefully, we'll stay longer next time.

Ace Paragoyo said...

I missed SG,hopefully I can visit again SG and try craft beer!

Thanks for sharing.

Ann B said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I agree with you. Walking around is always more fun when you are out discovering a different country.

eLaNaKcL said...

Interesting craft beer. Would love to try out different type of beer some day. Thx for sharing.

Sin Yee said...

3 years ago I have celebrated Christmas at Singapore. That was a great day. Miss it a lot.

Fred Hawson said...

I like Singapore and I like Clarke Quay. Beer and alcohol are not really my thing though.

OY HZ said...

Glad you enjoyed the time in Singapore! Have a merry xmas!

Angela Pavese said...

I love the East and I have not yet visited Singapore
thank you for sharing with us your photos and you impressions

Lucia ♡ said...

I had no idea you were still blogging, dearie :) Glad I found you on here ;)

How about a meetup with Karlie and Cindy when I come to the Philippines? Karlie and I want to make it happen in 2015, fingers crosses :)

Cher Littleton-Megasko said...

How interesting! One of my favorite things to do is go to a local microbrewery and get one of their beer flights. I love taste-testing and comparing my thoughts about each brew with my dinner companions.

Jeanine M said...

Looks like a really great time! I haven't ever been to Singapore but would love to visit. I didn't know there were places like this, my husband loves his beer!

Gillian Ong said...

heard so much about clarke quay , though I've been to singapore, never really been there yet! will visit again soon and check this place out1

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

Welcome to Singapore and I'm glad you've enjoyed your stay!
Do keep in touch with me the next time you come again and we will do a small meet up! I thought it's nice to meet up with the native bloggers whenever I'm overseas! :)

Elizabeth O. said...

I love Singapore to bits. It’s such a wonderful country for sightseeing, shopping and parties!

Alissa said...

I have never been to this place but I've been to SG! So many places I haven't seen :(

Rebecca Swenor said...

It is totally awesome to meet up with friends when you are traveling. I the beer sounds amazing and I would love to try the Black & Blue Berry Mead. Thanks for sharing.

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

this posts makes me miss my boyfriend who is in singapore right now :( the place there is wonderful. I plan to go there again next year.

Vanessa said...

Wow, Clarke Quay looks really captivating and I love your pics documenting the night life there, seems like a great place to chill out with friends.

Louise Banta said...

I've been to Singapore for a couple of times but never did I get to really spend time in Clarke Quay. It was always raining hard when I'm there. Anyway, next time we visit, I hope I can take my father, who is a beeraholic, to Brewerkz. Thanks for suggesting. At least I could take my dad to a place he'd enjoy. Last time we went, only my mom and i enjoyed. Hehe.

Danica Reed said...

Oh, Singapore is one of the best places on Asia. I would like to try your fun :)

Jinxy and Me said...

What an amazing brewery. I love the placemats so you can see and read what you are drinking. I also love the glasses they use. Looks like fun.

Eliz Obih-Frank said...

I can tell you had a wonderful time in Singapore. It is definitely on my bucket list of places to visit...

Soiree Design Studio said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip. Singapore looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for the tour.

Krystal Butherus said...

Craft beer is my favorite! I wonder what kind was the honey apricot? That is usually my favorite. We do not have twister fries in the US but now I need to find out what they are!

Lynndee said...

That looks like a lot of fun. My brother works in Singapore and this reminds me of him. He had probably been there with his friends. :)

Esther said...

Signapore looks like a great place to visit. I agree I love social media to keep in touch with family and friends but there is a bad side to it too. I am not really sure which one out ways the other.

Kylie wenn said...

It's been so long since I last went to SG.. I'm glad to see you have lots of fun in Singapore!

Liz Martin said...

i should check out that Clarke Quay when I go to Singapore. :)

Nicol said...

i really want to go to singapore one day. will have to go when i next go to asia

Reginia Cordell said...

A balance between social media and actual interfacing is important.

I am just leaving Singapore today. It's such a fun city with tons of food options. I would so move there if I was a food blogger. Food anchors socialization in Singapore.

Franc said...

I'll be in Singapore at the end of the month. I'll definitely try this craft beer.

Len said...

I'm Glad you had reunited with your friends, and i am curious about the craft beer... i guess i might try it as well when i go to singapore;)

Julianne Caparos said...

I've never been to Singapore yet! one of these days hahaha and true on that, walking seems to be more fun when your in a different country lol

Author said...

Singapore sounds like a really nice place to vacation, i'd really love to visit someday. i wonder if i would get to enjoy such great moments like you did if knew no one there. im sure the locals must be friendly?

Michelle T said...

That's great that you are making more time to hang out with friends, I need to do more of that myself. Twister fries sound really good wish they offered that at our McDonald's here in the U.S. but they are probably like Arby's fries are here.

Sam said...

When I travel I usually avoid the city because I'm an outdoors person. But SG has its charm that brings work and life together. I hope to see Sentosa very soon, and of course the nightlife!

bluedreamer27 said...

I don't drink beer so I know nothin about these drinks but how come they all look good and tempting to me haha.. maybe I should give beer a try soon

Joanna said...

I think it's great when you have friends all over the world and you get a chance to meet them when you or them visit. I always try to do that when I'm visiting places. You also get to explore little town gems that you wouldn't know otherwise.

Jaear Paguio said...

Face to face interaction really does sound more sincere and fun though social media is definitely a big help in getting in touch with our friends and love ones when we don't have the luxury of time and resources. Good thing you had fun in Singapore. It's one of our must travel into bucket list.

ROBERT LEE said...

When it comes to beer, I only drink SAN MIGUEL LIGHT. I drink others too, but none tastes better for me than my trusty regular. LOL. Looking at the pictures, it is so beautiful. Yes, like you, I wish we have something like that. If only Pasig River is not polluted, imagine with proper city planning, the riverside would be some of the most sought after commercial lots in the whole of Metro Manila. As it is, it became the domain of squatters.

Kristine Redillas said...

It's really a great place to go to especially if you want to escape Manila. What's great in having friends wherever is that it's easy to go to places. You know someone and have a place to stay. Saves money!

Candice Nikeia said...

I would love to visit Singapore someday soon. It seems like a beautiful place according to your amazing photos! I love technology so much but I am a people person so I enjoy meeting people in person. Thanks for such a great post!

xoxo, Candice
http://www.candicenikeia.com

Yogo and Cream said...

Yes, too bad our Pasig river is too polluted to be transformed into a great place like Clarke Quay. By the way, I find it both amusing and intriguing that Turkish people leave their country to do an ice cream business. I've also found a Turkish ice cream man in Taiwan and other countries. As for the beer, I don't really drink beer but this is a good recommendation for beer lovers out there.

Miss Piggy said...

Haven't been to singapore and it is part of my bucket list. Im planning to go there with my mom and my sister. Singapore is a great place. I love how strict they are.