21 December, 2014

FOOD TRIP: JAY-JAY'S BF PQUE


One thing I love about holidays is how roads are almost spotless. It's usually a nice time to drive around and if you get extra lucky, you end up discovering something new. Early this month, after Mom and I had our bonding over grocery shopping, we passed by this new building along Aguirre Ave. here in BF Parañaque. Although it wouldn't be my first time to dine at  Jay-Jay's Inasal  ( I frequent the branch in Macapagal ), it was a good time to try the only restaurant at this time in the new building on this food strip in BF.

Before you continue reading, allow me to warn you that this is going to be carb-filled post but please indulge me on this.Ü You're in for some comfort food staples of Filipinos that warm one's heart and tummy. Jay-Jay's happens to serve a lot of these favorite Filipino dishes.





Pork Tocino, P135 or approx. $3


For the love of comfort food
Tocino is one of the best all-day breakfast meals of Filipinos. So, the moment I saw the signage from the road, I already knew what I was gonna have and it's what I always get when I dine at Jay-Jay's Macapagal Branch: Pork Tocino — it's cured pork that is a little sweet & best eaten with vinegar dip and it's something that will always have a spot in my heart. [ Read: Homemade Pork Tocino Recipe ]

Admittedly, I was disappointed when I saw their Tocino Meal. There were just a few slices on my plate and mine sure didn't look too enticing, but I was up for it anyways because I haven't had breakfast yet that morning. I just got used to seeing the huge & really generous serving of the same meal in Macapagal so this doesn't get my two thumbs up.


Initially, I had no plans of getting Chicken Inasal, but my Mom said that the two of us would look funny eating at an Inasal Place and not have it. I obliged. Chicken Inasal is a popular dish from Bacolod that's "not marinated or prepared like the usual chicken barbeque found in the rest of the country. The marinate does not make use of soy sauce and consists of other ingredients to create a unique flavor found only in this part of the Philippines. There are different variations to this dish's preparation". [ Read: Bacolod's Chicken Inasal ]


Chicken Inasal ( No Rice ), P99 or approx. $2.20


The Chicken Inasal ( got the pa-a or chicken thigh ) was a good call because I haven't had one in years. I remember how my friends and I used to drive in the middle of the night all the way to Greenhills from our little kingdom here at the South, just to have Chicken Inasal in the most popular Inasal place in San Juan. Yes, this dish is that good. So, if you ever get to visit Manila or even Bacolod in the future, the Chicken Inasal should be on your list of local dishes to try.

That morning, Mom was in the mood for a classic comfort food — The Palabok, a noodle dish with this thick, orange, shrimp-flavored sauce with bazillions of toppings such as flaked smoked fish ( Tinapa ), Adobong Pusit, pork, shrimp, sliced wedges of hard-boiled eggs, chopped green onions, roasted garlic, chicharon and is best enjoyed with some calamansi. [ Read: Manila's best pancit palabok ]


One thing that I like about Jay-Jay's is that they have this relaxed, South casual dining vibe and yet they have good brewed coffee. The reason why I'm saying this is because there are some casual dining restaurants that will just serve their guests with overpriced 3-in-1 coffee. I'm glad that the experience with Jay-Jay's is different. It's always a superb deal to find a place that serves a un-pricey great coffee.




Regardless how carb-filled they may be, we all have those moments when we just need our favorite feel-good comfort food. It's nice that Jay-Jay's BF Parañaque offers a wide selection of different Filipino dishes and people can have them even at 3:00AM! I just wish that they'd be more generous with their servings.Ü  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆


✎  JAY-JAY's INASAL
  +63 943 7066848
  Ground Floor - MetroSouth Mall, Along Aguirre Ave., BF Homes, Parañaque ( across Scuba World )


40 comments:

Franc said...

I like the food at Jay-J's because it's great for groups. The one in BF has a better ambiance than the places I've been to.

Masshole Mommy said...

All of the food looks fantastic. Now I'm hungry ;)

JOJO VITO said...

agree...same here, I also love discovering new things and new places to eat...sometimes it doesn't have to be a great looking restaurant, it can even be just a simple eatery but offers great food

Michelle said...

I love their dishes but especially that coffee looks wonderful.

Alyssa Collazo said...

Great pictures, that food looks delicious! Especially that coffee! Thank you for sharing

Tanya Coffman said...

Jay-Jay's sound like a great place to get something to eat while relaxing. I could really go for a cup of their fresh brew too!

Susan Wojtkowski said...

Looks like a great find while on the road. Finding great local food places while traveling is one of my favorite things about road trips. And that food looks delish!

lisa said...

These look so delicious! Especially the Chicken Inasal.

Shaney Vijendranath said...

Sounds like a place I'd love to visit when I'm on the road traveling! I love comfort food and I absolutely love trying new restaurants. My hubby and I always try to be the "Masterchef" Judges. Hehe

Liz Mays said...

Oh wow the food looks great. It looks like a cool place to hav lunch with friends.

Stacie said...

Your breakfast looks really good. What is the stringy stuff on the place above the eggs and tocino?

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

I haven't tried jay jay's but their food looks really good specially the chicken inasal.

Sophie's Plus Size Wonderland said...

Oh the Chicken Inasal looks very yummy. I love trying different cuisines, it's so nice to discover new foods.

Catherine Sargent said...

All the food looks and sounds great. Sometimes you just need to have a carb filled meal.

Sol Felice Alvarado said...

Silogs and Inasal are the two things that come to one's mind when they think about Filipino comfort food. Anywhere you can guarantee that it's affordable. Jay-Jay is one of the go to if you want to eat inasal. If I'm not mistaken they also have a branch in Ortigas? Yeah, I dined there a couple of times.

Ann B said...

The food at Jay-Jay's Inasal looks so delicious. I would love to try it sometime.

Michelle Hwee said...

These foods look delicious! I was drawn to the egg the most. I love the descriptions you gave and the overall vibe of the restaurant.

Elizabeth O. said...

Jay-Jay's food looks very Filipino! I would love to try it sometime!

Cher Littleton-Megasko said...

Oh my goodness! The sweet and sour pork with a vinegar dip sounds wonderful! I just love trying new ethnic foods and these all sound great!

Amby Felix said...

Everything looks so simple and yummy!!

mail4rosey said...

I agree about the coffee. A good cup of java can really make a good meal, awesome! I'm glad you had a nice dining experience.

Krystal Butherus said...

I always try the coffee wherever I am. A good cup of coffee can make it or break it! :) Great pics!

HilLesha O'Nan said...

My mom has a Filipino friend that she has been friends with YEARS. She'd probably enjoy this type of food. Even though I'm a strict vegetarian, I must admit that the food looks really good!

Susie Buetow said...

Now I want to take a food trip to Jay-Jay's!! I loved the review. The food looks great and I love how you ended with coffee- my favorite for sure!

My Thirty Spot said...

WOw! I have never heard of this place, but if I am ever in Paraaque, I will have to check it out for sure! - Erin Kennedy

OY HZ said...

The Chicken Inasal looks yummy! And it's really great that they serve brewed coffee instead of instant ones.. :)

Fred Hawson said...

Thanks for the honest review. I am not always fond of inasal places because of the chicken meat can tend to be dry and hard.

Kylie wenn said...

Looks like you had a great meal! So yummy!

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

These are not the usual food we have in Singapore. Are they uniquely in Manila? Wanted to try the PalaBox most!

Anne V said...

I'm all for chicken inasal but Paranaque or even Macapagal is a long way from Rizal. Maybe when we visit the inlaws in Las Pinas, we might just swing by and check out this place.

Ling Tan said...

Are these local cuisine in Manila? It's dinner time as I read this post, and now I am Very Hungry!!

Melodi Steinberg said...

The egg and pork dish looks perfect for me. Lots of protein!

lovemindanao said...

such a pity coz i eat in places where the cost values the quality. but as what you experienced this place is not in my list

Raymond Vasquez said...

I've got to experience this food place soon. I'll be visiting the Metro in Mid May. Will have to roam around and see it for myself. Taste it myself. :)

Raine Pal said...

They have nice serving. As I see it, food serve are splendid and expensive-looking, but food are indeed affordable.

lee rosales said...

I always pass by jay j's resto in bf. I also see one inside sm sucat. I think they also offer bulalo. Great that they offer affordable meals.

MELISASource said...

Oh wow that food looks and sounds so good! Even the coffee looks amazing!

papaleng said...

The chicken inasal looks tempting. Next time I visit my friend in BF, I will visit this place.

Franc said...

I like the food at Jay Jay's. It's perfect for barkada and team gatherings.

Pooja Kawatra said...

This is indeed totally a different range of food. I love exploring the new variety of food and this will be definitely a good choice.