15 January, 2015

A Gratitude Note For ...

Thank You
Image Credit: Artistic Dreams

Handwritten letters and notes are probably starting to become a lost art. I didn't want to say that, but it's an unwanted reality that seems to be happening for a while. Times have changed. The digital age has made a lot of things easier and more convenient with a single press of a button. While I am thankful for the gift of convenience that technology has given us, I am ( still ) one of the old souls who fancy writing letters, sending post cards to friends from my trips, and passing notes to colleagues. I find happiness when I receive handwritten letters or cards. Most importantly, I get this sense of fulfillment and joy when I give one myself.

Believe it or not, I have kept every single letter, note, postcard, and card that I have received from family and friends since I was a little girl. They're in this huge blue box in my room that I love to open every now and then. Through the years, these handwritten letters have lessened because most people prefer to send their well wishes and greeting via SMS, Facebook, Viber, e-mail, WhatsApp, etc. But, I have friends, who like me, take time out of their busy schedules to write.




Thank You Note
My little note for Manny ...


It took me a while to do this assignment because I waited for the right moment to give a present to the person that was top-of-mind when I read what I'm supposed to do. I didn't pick a friend or a relative, but I chose someone who I consider one of my everyday heroes. Gratitude Challenge Day 3: Write a Gratitude Note to Someone


Gratitude Journal, Assignment 03
One of my everyday heroes in 2014 and up to today, is Manny. He is the guy who dutifully cleans my work area, wipes my desk, mops the floor, and takes out my trash before 8 o' clock in the morning. He religiously does all these things for as long as I can remember — every single day. He never misses. Well, except for this one time when he got sick for a few days but that was it. I have never heard or seen him complain.

Another thing that I like about Manny is how he never fails to greet me with a sincere "Good Morning" each time he sees me walk to my place in the morning.

Last Christmas, Manny was #1 on my list. It felt great to let him know that he is valued and what he does is appreciated. You know what they say, clutter, a dirty work area, and all other unnecessary stuff on your desk block the flow of chi. And Manny here, helps me start my day right because he helps attract positive energy into my work area.Ü


Everyday Hero
Manny is one of the most hardworking and happy people I know.


Manny, of course, never wrote me back, but the big smile I got when he said thank you to me was more than enough. He knows that I am grateful that we have him around in the office and I hope that my other colleagues value him the same way that I do. After reading this post, I hope you find time to say thank you to someone who's been a hero to you this year. Lemme know how it goes.




3 things that I'm grateful for today are:
›  My Hong Kong trip next month is a go.
›  Because of the holidays and extra no-work days that P-Noy declared, I got almost 2 whole weeks of precious rest.
›  2014 may have been tough, but it was also a year that opened doors for me aka my promotion!Ü ( I can finally talk about it! )
☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Happy Vibes. RUSS.


Other Gratitude Journal Entries
Day 00 - Gratitude Journal
Day 01 - 10 Things I'm Grateful For
Day 02 - Give Thanks for Your Food


50 comments:

Samantha Angell said...

This is such a nice post to read! I did something like this myself last year, where I made a point to send cards to friends/family while living abroad. Definitely brightens people's days!

Nikki said...

I think handwritten notes are still the best way to say thank you, or send birthday wishes, etc. Anything meaningful. Manny sounds like a wonderful person to know!

Rebecca Swenor said...

It is nice to give notes or cards to someone that you made along with receiving them also. I love the idea of giving a gratitude card to someone who needs to know they are appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Gordon said...

I do think that hand written notes are a lost art. With all the technology available at many people's fingertips, we just don't do it. When I get a handwritten note, I appreciate it so much more. I need to start writing more. Manny's smile is wonderful!

Tammilee Tips said...

Hand written notes are disappearing. I remember writing thank you notes after the holidays growing up, and nowadays it so much easier to send a text. I need to remember to do handwritten notes more often.

JaimeLovesStuff said...

I love this idea! I love handwritten anything. I actually still write to pen pals :) Manny sounds like he was well deserving of the gratitude you showed him! Very nice!

Echo A said...

This is wonderful! I love handwritten thank you notes. I think they mean so much more, because someone took the extra time to write it out!

Maureen Hitipeuw said...

Handwritten cards/letters are precious and a lost art these days in the world of internet so it is so lovely that you take your time to do this. Wonderful :)

Rashell Abril said...

hand written notes will always be the best! You can feel the sincerity of it and you'll be more touched! Manny is a great person.

May De Jesus-Palacpac said...

Guilty!

My thoughts have always been faster than my writing, so in my teens, I discovered the typewriter (yes, I'm that old, haha) and have been writing notes and mails with it. Computer and emails have totally made it so much easier for me

But you're right, there's something special about going old school and personalising a note or a letter. I love receiving them, too.

Cebuana Mom said...

My daughter leaves me handwritten notes..such a sweet and sincere gesture compared to a quick message via Viber or any techy platform.

Nanda Reis said...

That is very sweet of you! I think personal hand written cards are the most amazing thing to express our emotions =) Thank goodness technology hasn't stole that from us!

April Mims said...

I love to get handwritten notes that are personal and not just a generic message. It's very meaningful that someone would take the time to sit down and write it out.

Raymond Vasquez said...

You have a great life! :-) Yeah, thanks are more personal when handwritten. :-) I'm one fan of writing letters personally, yeah handwritten. :D

Olivia Douglass said...

I love handwritten notes, they're so personal! I always try to remember to write thank you notes, thinking of you notes, etc.

Lauren Richardson said...

I am in love with handwritten notes! I really need to start writing them more often! And I love that you write a gratitude journal! i have one as well and I love it!

Jason P. said...

What a lovely gesture! Nothing like seeing the smile of someone who you gave a gift to :)

Fernando Lachica said...

Before, when I was working abroad, written forms of communication matters most to me. But now, I still really valued inside my heart.

Ave T said...

I love getting real mail! I'm collecting postcards from all over the world and I'm super happy when I get new countries for my list.

CourtneyLynne said...

Omg totally love this idea!!!! I love getting notes and cards!!! I always save those kinda things because it really is rare to receive those kinda things these days

Tammy @ TOTS Family said...

I am not as good as I used to be at doing thank you notes. I'm glad you took the time to thank Manny. I like to acknowledge those who sometimes overlooked.

Ron Leyba said...

Nothing beats a personal handwritten note if you really want to send what you feel across. Manny there really deserves the appreciation and KUDOS to you for doing so :).

Cassie Tucker said...

Handwritten notes of any kind seem to a lost art form. I've actually taken to writing handwritten letters and thank you cards to people recently and you wouldn't believe the text and FB messages I get thanking me for it!

Penny said...

Getting mail is the best! Good for you to write an actually letter and put it in the mail. Definitely something I'm going to try to do more of this year.

Victoria said...

I love when I receive real mail. It is just something about it that lets me know that we are not 100% reliant on technology.

Skinny Brokovich said...

That's so sweet of you. I love getting things like that!

John Benliro said...

I personally thing that hand written notes are the best. Nothing beats them! I miss receiving stuff made by someone through writing (hand).

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I missed the times when I get to write notes and make cards to my friends and loved ones. Sadly, I stopped doing that too, simply because I don't have that time now!

Karen of MrsLookingGood said...

Love what you did for Manny! A lot are doing "thankless" jobs and it's always heart warming for other people to recognize the work they do and the effort they produce to make your job easier. Keep it up, the often you do this, the more it feeds your soul.

Louise Banta said...

It's a very humble and sweet of you to do that for Kuya Manny. Not everyone would think to do that, right? Thank you for sharing this good deed so each one of us, your readers, would be inspired to do the same. I remember doing this for the man who delivers my lunch back in elementary school. I asked my mom to sent me two lunch boxes so I could give the other one to that man. When lunch came and he gave me my bag, he was very suprised and overwhelmed to find out the other one was for him. He hugged me and cried and told me he will never forget me. Until now, the last time I visited our school, he remembers me and you know, these are the things (feelings) money can't buy.

Sin Yee said...

Till now, I actually still prefer writing more than typing. I still maintain to write a lot everyday.

Fred Hawson said...

I used to love receiving snail mail. I used to have a pen friend and that was my first foray into writing for others. Now, mostly snail mail are bills, ugh!

Khushboo Motihar said...

The gratitude journal is a wonderful concept and it was great to get to know Manny. :)

jassy said...

i like your handwriting. nice :)

TweenselMom said...

we used to write love letters for each other, me and my hubby. he was able to keep all my letters till these days, while me who didn't have permanent address then, lost all of his letters to me.

Geanine said...

I love a hand written note, taking the time out of ones busy day to write a not to someone shows how special they are to you. I try to write a few hand notes to my kids teacher because I appreciate the attention they give to them. So nice of you, and Mannys smile would have been enough for me as well :)

Fatemah Sajwani said...

the hand written card is so adorable. Great post!

Justine Galang said...

You inspired me to do this kind of gratitude as well. We only live once so might as well appreciate everything and everyone that surrounds us. :)

Julia Antoinette said...

Awwww. This is so nice <3 Such a touching story. Kudos to you for starting this movement!

Janine Ella said...

Awww you did such a sweet thing! <3 It's really nice to appreciate people especially the ones working in our offices. That's why I always respond to the guards who greet me good morning and give them kind smiles as well. The cleaning staff, I always smile at them too. :)

xx, Wandering Ella

theresa said...

I was thinking why Christmas then I just discovered that this is a post during the Christmas season. It's nice to see that you gave him a gift. We should be reminded to share our blessings with others.

Joanna Davis said...

That is a very nice gesture to do. I usually send postcards from my trips to my friends. I think it's a nice way to share with them my adventures.

Reu Salvy Valdez said...

I still do handwritten notes on a Card. I just want them to remember every word that I wrote for them. I hope they like it because it comes from the heart. ejeje

Arrianne Guzman said...

I love handwritten letters ever since I was young. And I still make some today! Glad to hear there also other people who value them like I do 😊

Oscar Bornea said...

Personalize letter or notes for someone is very sweet than sending your message electronically. In addition, you can also put some artwork on each corner of any kind paper.

Thanks Russ for bringing up this article. It reminds me of my younger days :)

Ane Fallarme said...

I'm only 32 and I feel old because I'm still one of those people who'd rather write an actual letter and send it rather than send an email. :P

My friends and I are in different parts of the world and even though we face time and chat on messenger a lot, we still write each other letters, because when we're old and wrinkly, we'd all like to sit together, read our old letters and reminisce about our times apart. :P

Frances Vasquez said...

Handwritten letters will always give that kilig feeling. Can totally relate with your old soul. ❤️

Cheryl F said...

Handwritten notes are still my favorite. Especially if it's the one written at the back of a photo :) Im actually keeping notes like this even if it's only written in a scratch paper.

jedbentillo said...

So much love for this post! Miss how real gestures, tedious it may be, touches us in ways we didn't expect and leave a mark we carry in our life's journey. We need more posts like these! Thanks!

Saswati Bhoi said...

What a kind gesture!! :) Thanks for sharing this!! :)