07 January, 2015

Carpe Diem: January 2015

To New Beginnings

New Year ... a blank page, a fresh start, a clean slate. I am more than ready to embrace all the amazing opportunities and wonderful adventures this year has for me. I've been told by my Chinese friends that things will be a whole lot better in 2015 + this year is going to be very good for people born during the Year of the Dog ( me ), Horse, and Monkey. But hey, these signs stuff should only serve as a guide and shouldn't mean anything absolute because at the end of the day, success and good fortune are brought about by hard work and our actions. Right? In any case, I am already claiming them — adventures, lessons, triumphs, and everything in between.




Just Do It
Image Source: Website


The previous year has been nothing but incredible and in 2015, here are the lessons from 2014 that I shall take with me:
- Actions will always speak louder than words. If you want to make a point, don't just say, DO it.
- Traveling keeps me sane. And happy. I am so making more time for it this year.
- Fairy tales have taught me that good always prevails, so be good at being good.
- You need to take it easy on yourself because no matter what you do, you cannot please everybody.
- Sincere hard work ( that kind that does not have ulterior motives ) will always be rewarded.
- You lose friends along the way, but you'll always meet and make new + better ones.
- Sometimes, it's alright to say NO. Sometimes, it's perfectly okay to make a decision that's not popular.

Moreso, I like and I will ...
Feeling extra inspired and brimming with hope & good vibes for the year, these are the goals I've set for 2015.
- I will read at least 30 books. This one's inspired by one of the most creative women I know and fellow bookwork, Iza.
- I will travel alone to at least 1 country.
- I will visit at least 3 more countries.
- I will go on a road trip to at least 5 towns in the Philippines that I have not been to.
- I will continue to push for more actual face-to-face human interactions regardless how busy everyone is.
- I will take the 2015 Brokers' Licensure Exams.
- And finally, I will take my chance ( again ) at driving. Let's see if I will finally learn how to drive this year.


Travel Bug
Image Source: Website


My Favorite Blog This Month: Pieces of Liz ( www.rubyredconfessions.blogspot.com )
I've known Liz since our old school blogging days in 2003 and I'm happy that I got the chance to finally meet her last year. Liz is also a member of the Secret Book Club and she is one of the most pleasant and nicest bloggers I know. Do visit her blog if you have extra net time today because you she writes about beauty finds, restaurants she loves, books that we read in our Secret Book Club, and more!

What I'm Reading
The Secret Book Club's January 2015 Book of the Month ( BOM ) is Diana Wynne Jones' The Islands of Chaldea. Has any of you read this title? I'll have my post up next month or earlier for Book Club Friday.

What I'm Watching
I'm back to Once Upon a Time. I stopped somewhere in Season 2 last year and I recently started watching the third season of this twisted fairy tale. I read some stuff on the net about the series and I love how even Once Upon a Time's gotten the Frozen fever. Don't worry, there are no spoilers. But I did see a couple of posters and articles that said #onceisfrozen, so yeah, Elsa and Anna are going to be in Storybrooke.


Once Upon a Time
Image Source: Poster and Photo



What I'm Eating
After all the nonstop eating from the 2-week long holiday, I'm back to my regular meals and that means I'm back to eating healthier. For those of you who have been with me for the past months, you'd probably recall that I signed up with Fitness Gourmet PH for a 1200-calorie per day meal program, which I did for 6 weeks towards the end of 2014. And now that the holidays are over, I need extra help. I signed up with Diet Lite and Easy Cafe for a 23-day meal program. Day 1 will be on 15-Jan.

What I'm Drinking
I have committed to stop drinking Coke Light or Coke Zero and will drink water instead. This is something that I've started before but I went into some sort of stress-eating for a certain time and I failed. BUT this year, I will redeem myself :)

What's Making Me Smile Right Now
I'm excited to see a friend who's visiting from Australia. We were supposed to meet several times but it never seemed to push through because of the weather — timing was always wrong because each time this friend is in the Philippines, Metro Manila is always flooded, lol! I kept telling my friend to stop coming to Manila during the rainy season and I'm glad that he decided to visit on a non-rainy season month. Hopefully, everything works out okay this time.




I end this post with a huge smile on my face + I'm feeling extremely excited about everything that I will DO this year. We only pass this way once, might as well do the things we're deathly afraid of ( in my case, solo travel and driving in Metro Manila — I hope our driver doesn't hate me for this, ahaha ), take the plunge, and make the trip worthwhile. Yes?

Your turn now :) Is there something that you've always wanted to do but you've always been scared to even try? What are you most excited about this month? What's making you smile right now? Happy 2015 everyone!  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


55 comments:

Freetail Therapy said...

Once Upon a Time is one of my favorite shows right now! I have such a crush on Rumple :P ANYWAY, great post, thanks for sharing!

Rodel Flordeliz said...

Happy nEW year! as to what i always say to my friends , 2014 was practice, lets own 2015! for me, more travel destinations this year.Good luck!

Sumi Go said...

Glad you're already working towards these goals! :) I learned a lot from 2014, and I'm excited to see what this year can offer too. I share your hopes for traveling more (both locally and internationally), and to finally learn how to drive. Haha! Anyway, I wish you all the best this 2015! :) More love, happiness, blessings, successes and less Coke. ^_^

Beth - Musing Housewife said...

I have a lot going on in my life this year. I've decided on a change in career path which I'm a little excited about!

Fatemah Sajwani said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. I have also made a resolution for no coke. have a great 2015. May God bless you.

Amie Hu said...

One of the quotes that is recurringly important in 2014 is: those who matter won't mind, those who mind won't matter... the learning points you have listed are very meaningful and applicable too.

In 2015 I will also try driving for the first time! :) Good luck to us!! <3

May De Jesus-Palacpac said...

I was just going through my personal list for 2015 and I just realised wishful thinking isn't the same as going for the things you want. All because of your blog. I wish I traveled alone when I was single, but hey, I can still do the "I will read 3 books" or something. :)

Fernando Lachica said...

You started the 2015 right and very inspired to live your own way. As for me, I have to continue my novel writing with a series of books and publishing at National Bookstores. Likewise, additional concepts of novels intended for young and Filipino audience.

Sim @ SimsLife.co.uk said...

What a fantastic post! Love the idea of travelling to at least 1 country on your own... may add that to my own bucket list!

As for stopping to drink carbonated drinks, it is much easier than you think! I have not had one since the start of the year and feel great for all the water I am drinking.

Good luck for 2015! :)

Sim @ Simslife.co.uk xx

katrina centeno said...

I hope you will achieve your goals for 2015! Wow. You will visit at least 3 more countries? Nice. Looking forward to reading about that experience.

Vanessa said...

Meeting friends from other countries is always an enriching experience, so you will have a great time when the rainy days are over, wish you lots of travels in 2015 as well!

eLaNaKcL said...

Happy that you make a resolution for a healthier and happier you. All the best!

Angelo The Explorer said...

Great way to start your 2015! You pointed out very important things people should do. This is also a great motivation.

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

I'm planning to travel alone to one country too! Do you have any prospects for the country you will be visiting?

Sunshine Kelly said...

New year, new beginning. I am going to start eating healthier and have a balanced lifestyle. Time & tide wait for no man, so don't procrastinate. Just do it.

Miss `Chievous said...

I should consult you for the books to read! I have committed to read 35 books this year. ;) good luck on your 2015 goals, especially to the brokers licensure exam! You can do it!

Fred Hawson said...

I will echo your resolution to read more books. Lately, I only get to read mostly my kids required books only, and I need to read more. Hopefully this can happen this year.

Louise Banta said...

Happy New Year Russ! I love the thought that "If you want to make a point, don't say it, DO IT."

Thanks for sharing this so I could carry that idea throughout this year.

I've always had this business and community in mind that I will be pursuing this year. I hope I could really achieve that dream, this year.

May we achieve our goals and dreams together. :)

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

That's a very positive post to start of 2015! I should work on one too... A private one though because I have too many blog debts in the line!

Marie said...

Interesting!

Like you, I am looking forward of traveling alone to at least 1 country and visit at least 3 more countries.

High five!!!

Eliz Obih-Frank said...

These are all great goals and you can do them. I love the idea of traveling and that is one I plan to do more of.

Tanya Coffman said...

I really have a whole bucket of things I'd like to do. This year, I'm starting with things I can manage...to manage my time better.

Catherine Sargent said...

Happy New Year. You have a great list of goals for 2015. Good luck with driving it just takes a little practice.

Masshole Mommy said...

I hope you have a great year in 2015 and do everything you want to do. I am hoping to travel more,t oo!

Krystal said...

Good luck with all of your goals for the coming year. Even if we never meet all of our goals, they're great for keeping us motivated.

Nina Say said...

I am doing everything I can to make 2015 the best year yet. And it is all based on one of the quotes you shared, actions speak louder than words.

Sharon Ruggieri said...

Well good for you girl! Love your optimism! I have the same goal for 2015 that I've had for year. Not to have triples ;)

Liz Mays said...

I've never watched Once Upon a Time before. Maybe I'll check it out too! It sounds interesting.

Elizabeth Copeland said...

I love Once Upon A Time. I've watched everything available on Netflix, but missed many of this season's shows on regular TV, so I'm stuck! I don't want to miss anything.

CourtneyLynne said...

Ahhhhhh so funny you mention Once Upon a time!!! I actually watching that right now on Netflix as I write this comment!! Awesome show :)

Soiree Design Studio said...

Love this blank sheet of paper. It signifies such a wide open opportunity to start over and start fresh. Hope you get everything you want this year.

Nicole Ramage said...

I need to do more traveling and be more adventurous this year, after I get off bed rest in April.

Elizabeth O. said...

I believe in seizing the moment! I can’t wait for what 2015 has for me!

Tammilee Tips said...

Great list!! I love the fresh clean slate of a new year! I have set several small and large goals for the year!

Rebecca Swenor said...

You have awesome plans for this year indeed. I am afraid but am going to try starting a blog along with an online store this year. Fear can sometimes be a good thing. Thanks for sharing,

Jenni said...

I love your list. There are a few new shows I'm watching. Actually starting from the beginning. One is Dexter and the other is Dr. Who. Gahhh. So many awesome shows and so little time.

Adanna said...

I would love to start my own business this year, I am going to take baby steps but I am really excited.

Terri Ramsey Beavers said...

You have a great list and I hope you achieve everything on it. I read about 30 books a month, lol. I need to put the books down and do something amazing this year.

Lynndee said...

I didn't learn how to drive until I got here in the U.S. There's no pedicabs here, so I had to learn. LOL. Good luck to you. I hope you will learn how to drive this year. Also, have you been to Gensan yet? You should include it on your list of towns to visit.:) Have a great 2015!

Chrystal Mahan said...

I am hoping 2015 is going to be so much better for me. I will be 40 and I have to come to terms with a lot of things in life. Things that will never be. Things that could not be helped. I am hopeful of change.

Cher Littleton-Megasko said...

My husband and I are both addicted to Diet Pepsi. Several months ago we cut it completely out of our diets cold turkey and were doing really well. But now we find ourselves slipping when we are out and about.

mail4rosey said...

I'm happy to have a routine back again too. I love the holidays, but 'routine' is a word that just doesn't work the whole month of December.

Margarita Ibbott said...

I certainly hope that you get to visit three more countries if not for selfish reasons that I want to read the blog posts and see the pictures.

Manu Kalia said...

What an amazing read. You just made me want to make a list for my goals for 2015. Thank you sharing!

Lisa Rios said...

What a great post indeed! Good luck for you to achieve your goals for 2015. I am eagerly waiting to read more about your travelling experience. Your post is really motivating. Thanks for sharing.

Jhady said...

I still can't believe it's 2015. Time flies fast, I didn't even notice it. My goal this year is to eat healthier, lose 20 lbs, exercise more and whatever pop out in my brain that I want to do. LOL

Stephanie C. said...

Looks like you've got a great start to this year! I love your outlook! All the best!

Paula Schuck said...

I always pledge to read more books every year but I never can get through them all. Good luck on accomplishing all your goals!

burlap+blue said...

Love this post! Your goals are so similar to mine! Most of my goals revolve around better health and my blog/shops. Thanks for the inspiration!

Angela Christoper said...

Wjhat a great post!! I had a great time to read this thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts!

Kiwi said...

Thanks for posting some of your intimate thoughts and goals for 2015. I definitely think traveling makes me sane and I want to travel more frequently!!

Maureen Hitipeuw said...

Sounds like a great year in 2014 and you have accomplished a lot. May 2015 brings you all that you wish and want for.

Erica Bodker said...

I need to get back into Once upon a time. I use to watch it all the time then I just forgot. I must :)

couponhauls said...

I love your list. There are a few new shows I'm watching. Actually starting from the beginning. One is Dexter and the other is Dr. Who. Gahhh. So many awesome shows and so little time.

Katarina Kovcin said...

Such amazing post, i love how you captured previous year and set goals for the next one! Lovely!