17 February, 2015

Ramen Love at Shitamachi Podium

Shitamachi Podium

Being a South Girl all my life means that growing up, Alabang Town Center's pretty much our go-to place in our little kingdom. It was when I started to have friends from what I usually call the "Far North" that I would sometimes explore places outside the BF-Alabang Area. You can't just make me go to the North, unless it's some place in Rockwell ( not-so-North ) and Podium. You just have to bribe with something that isn't here.

I like Powerplant and The Podium because ...
1) They're usually not crowd-infested. My patience just dwindles in a crowded place. Please don't judge me.Ö
2) They have stores, restaurants that you can't find here in the South.
3) They have nice cinemas with no long queues — The Podium especially!

I discovered  Shitamachi  in Podium by accident. It was a very random, lazy Saturday afternoon & P and I were hungry + killing time. Craving for ramen after work and seeing Shitamachi just before buying our movie tickets made my ramen girl heart skip a beat. I'm just so so glad that all these ramen restaurants are popping up left and right, making my ramen heart very happy. [ Read: Ramen Love at Nihonbashitei ]




Chasu Ramen at Shitamachi
That's P's chasu cooked just right. Chasumen at P395 or approx. $8.80


Great broth
P and I like Shitamachi's broth. It's crucial. For me, it's make or break. I love how their broth is not too salty, but still flavorful. P's Favorite, the Chasumen, has a "milky tonkotsu broth with aged shoyu, chasu slices, and topped with ajitam, bokchoy, cabbage, leeks, and sesame seeds."

If you're in the mood for something spicy ( which usually is the case for me), you ought to get the Tantanmen. This one's bold and very rich. It's already spicy as it is, but I eat this with kimchi and I always add drops of chili oil. The Tantanmen boasts of "spicy ramen with homemade roasted sesame paste and spices, topped with spicy ground pork, bokchoy, leeks, and ajitama." It totally hits the spot!


Shitamachi's Tantanmen
Volcano Ramen at Shitamachi
Volcano Ramen


I was told that the Volcano Ramen is Shitamachi's best-seller and signature dish + it sounded like not-your-typical ramen. I was curious, so I tried it. I was expecting some kind of a play with this. Admittedly, I was waiting for a mini-eruption but of course, there was never anything like that happened. Ahaha. With the Volcano Ramen, your noodles and all the ingredients are placed on a sizzling bowl and you simply pour the broth while the sizzling bowl is still hot. It was ok, but it's not Russ-friendly because it took me forever to eat my ramen coz it was too hot ( blaming my Thyroidectomy for doing this to me ) and by the time that everything's Russ-temperature, my noodles were kind of thick and soggy.


Worry not non-ramen eaters
What I like about Shitamachi is that they're not all ramen. I can bring my Mom here and she won't have to give me a charity meal by forcing herself to eat ramen. Lol. Good News: Shitamachi has non-ramen dishes like Beef Yakiniku Don, Spicy Chasun Don ( which I'm going to try next time ), Chicken Teriyaki Don, Chicken Katsu Curry with Cheese, Gyoza, Seafood Almond Roll, and a lot more.

The photo below is their version of Japanese Fries, but could also pass as Chips & Dips. It's served with three kinds of dips: Dip #1, Dip #2, and the Wasabi Dip. It's obvious which dip I liked most :)


Shitamachi Mango Cream Flan Dessert

For sweet endings, you can never go wrong with the Mango Cream Flan. It's like a mix of Panna Cotta and Mango Pudding. It's sweet, but not overwhelming. Other choices for dessert are the Japanese Creme Caramel, Matcha Panna Cotta, and the Yam Roll w- Vanilla Ice Cream.




Overall, I enjoyed dining at Shitamachi in Podium. Their staff are very courteous, enthusiastic, and friendly. It's the kind of warmness that will make a customer come back. And, to make things even better, I scored good ramen again.Ü If you're craving for ramen and want a nice, hearty bowl of happy food, Shitamachi is one of the places that you can go to.  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


★ ★ ★ ★ ★


✎  SHITAMACHI CHASU, PODIUM
  +632 5714568
  5F, The Podium Mall, Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong


70 comments:

Masshole Mommy said...

It sounds like you had a great eating experience. All of that food looks absolutely delicious!

Laura Gonzalez said...

Yumm! I wish I could eat this right now! Thanks for sharing this.

Beth Williams said...

I probably shouldn't have read this when hungry-- especially because ramen is one of my favorite foods! This really made me miss when I lived in Japan.

Krystal said...

This sounds wonderful. I wish I could find authentic food like that in the states. It's never very good though. =(

Echo A said...

This looks so yummy! I would love to eat at an actual Ramen house some day.

Terri Ramsey Beavers said...

Oh my, everything looks so tasty. I would love to try this restaurant one day.

spiffykerms said...

I think I'd be all over that dessert at the end. Anything with mango in it, I go bonkers for.

Lisa said...

This looks so delicious!

Nina Say said...

I have always wanted to try real ramen. I bet it tastes amazing.

Autumn Blues Reviews said...

Looks like a very nice place to eat. I would definitely like to try it out. thank you for sharing.

celebbabylaundry said...

I love the type of food a lot, especially those bowls of broth and noodles!

Liz Mays said...

It looks really tasty and warming. I can see why you liked it!

Ashleigh Walls said...

These meals looks delicious! I have never tried ramen at a restaurant but this makes me want to try it!

Fiona said...

What a delicious looking meal you had! I am loving the look of that mango dessert at the end.

CourtneyLynne said...

Omg this place looks pretty tasty!!! I love a good bowl of ramen

Sar-Jayne said...

I just love ramen noodles, I eat them at our local Wagamama Japanese restaurant whenever I can. Soon good!

Bonnie Gowen said...

Mmmm I would love to try those Japanese fries! They look really good, well all the food looks pretty good. =)

Cherri Megasko said...

I love ramen ... I just made some for Sunday brunch. I am delighted that so many ramen shops are popping up all across the country.

Ann B said...

I've never had ramen. The photos in your post make me want to give it a try!

Paula Schuck said...

Yum! All these dishes look and sound delicious. I would love to try something like this someday.

Katarina K said...

I love how those meals look! I wouldn't mind to try everything here!

My Thirty Spot said...

yum! I have heard of this recipe and that it is phenomenal. Thanks for sharing these fab photos.

Eliz Frank said...

The volcano ramen sounds like food I'd love to eat, and that mango cream flan is to die for... Now I'm hungry.

Debi Gerhart said...

I love ramen too, but I have never tried it in any of these ways. The Volcano in my opinion looks just so tasty with the poached egg on top.

Notorious Spinks said...

This looks so good. I'd like to try the volcano one, too. I love a good ramen noodle. Thanks.

Gabriel Bregg said...

Several of my friends from the Army have spent a year or more since they got out in southeast Asia and they have all raved about how much better authentic food is - I hope to be able to do some traveling and experience it for myself.

Sef Tiburcio said...

Ramen has been my favorite comfort food whenever I feel stressed. Thanks for you resto referral, will visit this one out.

Manu Kalia said...

A restaurant worth a visit. I am amaze on how the Chasumen is perfectly made. I wish I could try it. Thank you for the review!

Irish said...

If only traffic isn't bad, going to north will be less stressful. They have nice places to go there but I'm hesitant to visit because it means I have to drive hours and experience the traffic along edsa.

Franc said...

Ramen is really popular now and it's nice that they have unique taste for Ramens here. Definitely a must try.

JOJO VITO said...

I love that steaming hot volcano ramen, their serving is quite large :)

Justin Vawter said...

I've always been curious about Tantanmen Ramen. It's my first time hearing about Shitamachi though. I'll check it out next time I drop by Podium.

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

I haven't tried SHitama yet but it looks like they have some really good food!

rebecca wong said...

Not a ramen fan but the broth looks really yummy.

Skinny Brokovich said...

Japanese food is always on top of my list.. I hope we have this one here in cebu!!

sumo said...

Wow, great food photography. The article has made me hungry so I need to go find somewhere to eat for lunch and it is only 8:00 am. lol

Crystal Wachoski said...

I've never even heard of that place before but I'm from the north, lol. I sound like a character from Game of Thrones, lol.

Andrea said...

This looks amazing and so yummy! Japanese food is always a favorite of mine.

MikiHope said...

There is a Ramen bar that will be opening soon not too far from me--of course I am in the US. I am going to try it out!

Christi at SexyMoxieMama.com said...

That looks like a great restaurant. I love Japenese food but I have never had REAL ramen before.

Crystal Green said...

It sounds like you enjoyed your meal. The flan looks good. I love their atmospheres that they create in their restaurants.

Elizabeth O. said...

I am a ramen lover. Thanks for the write up I will visit Shitamachi too!!

mail4rosey said...

A good broth can make a meal (or a bad one can break it). The pictures in your post look delish!

Ourfamilyworld said...

It looks like you had a great dining experience. I love the idea of an egg inside the dish. It must be delicious

CourtneyLynne said...

Omg all the pictures look absolutely delicious!!! I'm obsessed with Ramen and I live in an area without any ramen -_- it's horrible especially now that I see this and have a huge craving lol

Carissa Warner said...

Omg your fodod pics made me hungry. ramen never looked so good

Karen said...

Their ramen looks good! Even in this hot weather, I love eating ramen. Will drop by the Podium to check it out

Fernando Lachica said...

I like the volcano ramen when we visited the place last month. Truly, this place rocks with their menu that cannot be found in any restaurant. Nice place.

Elizabeth O. said...

The photos made me hungry. The Volcano Ramen looks tasty!

Kylie wenn said...

I really loves to eat ramen. They are so deliciously yummy!~ Looking great in your photo!!

papaleng said...

Me too love Ramen noodles and the restaurant seems a nice one. I am based in Muntinlupa for more than 15 years and ATC aside from Festival Mall I considered my territory.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I have a phobia for eating ramen every since I worked at a Japanese company for 3 months. I couldn't imagine eating any ramen since then and it has been 1.5 years!

Fred Hawson said...

I have not been to Podium for a very very long time. I think the last time I was there was for Michael Buble's first free mall show there more than 10 years ago. Reading this review, I think we should visit that mall again soon to see what we are missing.

Louise Banta said...

I'm glad they do not offer ramen alone to cater people like me and your mother who doesn't hate ramen, but just don't want it. Hehe. Sometimes, it is these simple services/products that make a restaurant/dinner great. :)

Raymond Vasquez said...

Waaah Ramen! I've only known of this place now. I must visit this place soon. I'll be in Metro soon, so this should be part of my IT.

Khushboo Motihar said...

Such delicious food! The broth in particular looks very yummy. Loved reading about your experience :)

Katrina Centeno said...

I am reading this in the middle of the night. I felt my stomach grumble. I would opt for the non-spicy ramen.

Anne V said...

I'm a huge ramen fan, I whip up some on a weekly basis, mostly with chicken for a lighter meal. I don't think I can take the temp of the Volcano Ramen, same as you, I'm not into piping hot food. My tongue and lips burn easily. I wish you tried their Gyoza, now that I would go out for, haven't perfected the art of making my own, yet. Shitamachi sounds great, hope I get to try dining their soon. :)

lovemindanao said...

another place to put on the list.. I love ramen very much ,,, there is something about the soup that seems irresistible ... yum ...

Jason P. said...

I honestly can't remember the last time I was at the Podium. Would really love to try Shitamachi someday soon! The food looks good! :D

Amanda Love said...

There's nothing like a good broth and I'm like you, I just hate crowds. I like small cozy restaurants to eat in.

Sunshine Kelly said...

I prefer the Tantanmen Ramen than the Chasu Ramen it has more flavour and spice. Well perhaps I prefer the stronger taste or heavier flavour.

lee rosales said...

Im honestly laughing when u said about the far north places in manila. I feel you. Haha. South girl forever! Anyways, I'm also a ramen lover. You might wanna try a carinderia ramen house in malate. In front of v hotel. Promise. Ang sarap at 95 peaoa lang super busog kana

Pooja Kawatra said...

It looks yummy and the portion is just appropriate. Price is quiet okay for this big bowl.

Sumi Go said...

I don't frequent The Podium, but I'll definitely checkout Shitamachi the next time I find myself in the mall. :) I'm curious with how their ramen fairs against all these ramen houses from Japan popping up like crazy here in the metro. Anyway... It's already been a while since my last bowl of ramen. Haha! :D

Franc said...

I also prefer less crowded malls. It's hard to move around when there are a lot of people. Rockwell used to be my default hang out before and now it's BGC.

Raquel said...

At first glance, I thought the food was nilaga because of the ingredients. Then I read on and discovered it was a totally different dish. Did it taste as good as it looked? Yum!

Ling Tan said...

I love ramen! The soup base in this shop looks good - nice and thick, just the way I love it!

Danessa Foo said...

Ohhhh.... Ramen! Those pictures are making me salivate right now!
I'm just like you, can't stand crowds... :)

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

I got to eat there back when it was still on soft ppening and glad to know they have improved!! The ramen we gad was oilier back then.