21 March, 2015

Side Trip: Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar

Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar

Cobbled Stone Paths. Close to Sea. Heritage Houses on a Sprawling Estate. Town Plaza. Fresh Air. A Glimpse of Colonial Life. History and Culture. I was transported almost back in time. I was in heaven! If you've been reading this blog for a while, then you probably know that I am madly, wildly in love with Colonial Philippines sans the bad stuff that the Spaniards did to Filipinos back then. If given the chance to live in the 1800s, I would.

I learned about Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar from P. He was so eager to take me here. He talks about it all the time because his family's good friends with the owners and they're always invited to visit the place. I was blown away the first time I set foot at Las Casas and I knew that it's one place in the Philippines that I'd always come back to. And, if you'd be traveling to my country in the nearer future, I suggest that you spend a day or two or more at Las Casas. Trust me, it's worth the 4-hour drive from Manila to Bagac, Bataan.




What to Expect
Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar is tucked away in Bataan, a province full of history — a province, which for me, stands for courage, selflessness, and heroism. It's but appropriate that this expansive heritage resort is situated in Bataan, a province that has played an important role in Philippine history. It is famous for The Battle of Bataan and the gruesome Bataan Death March during World War II. [ Read: Why We're Called Bataan ]

The concept of Las Casas is a heritage resort that takes its guests back to the Spanish Period. Right now, they have more than 20 restored and reconstructed heritage houses with each structure ready to wow anyone who enters with great Filipino talent ... each house with a story waiting to be told. Everything at Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar is beautifully old school.

"Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar celebrates Filipino Heritage through showcase of Filipino talent, ingenuity, and craftsmanship. The legacy of our forefathers, and beautiful Filipino customs and traditions are desired to be preserved through the restoration of the houses in here. Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar yearns for Filipinos to step back into the past, and re-live the traditions and practices that are distinct to our culture.­" - Source





What to do. What to see.
While guests have an option to avail of the Day Tour ( P850 or $19 for the tour + snacks only; P1,200 or $27 with a set meal, and P1,500 or $34 per head with a minimum requirement of 30 persons if you'd like to avail of buffet ) , I highly recommend staying for at least a night to fully appreciate the whole Las Casas experience. I had the chance to go for a Day Tour with colleagues, but it wasn't as fun and as nice compared to the time that I stayed in Las Casas for 3 days wherein we were housed at Paseo Escolta.

If you're here for a Day Tour, be sure to rent a bicycle. It gives you the convenient of going around the heritage park given the limited time you have and it also makes a lovely element that goes well with all your Las Casas photos. There are private casas that are ideal for big groups. But if you're a small group, Paseo Escolta will do just fine.

The beauty of staying for a couple of nights is that you don't have to cram all the activities and the tour of all 20-something houses, rest, and relaxation in half-a-day. Moreso, you get to try the different restaurants at Las Casas, lounge by the batis-inspired pool, go to the beach ( it's not white-sand, but the Bataan sun can give you a glorious tan! ), be entertained by the performances at Plaza Belmonte, and experience what plaza life is like back then during the Spanish Era.









What to eat. And, where to eat.
From what I remember, guests are not allowed to bring in food but that's alright because there are themed restaurants inside Las Casas that let you dine in style. I love Casa Marivent because of their Filipino-Spanish dishes while P likes La Bella Teodora. He was never a fan of Filipino-Spanish food so La Bella is his best bet whenever we're at Las Casas. La Bella Teodora is P-friendly because they have pizza and pasta on their menu.

At night, you have an option to dine at the plaza. The Las Casas Team puts together this beautiful and festive town gathering. Most of the guests who are checked in usually gather at the plaza at night for good food and the cultural show. You need not do this every night though because the performances are pretty much the same so one night would be okay.





I'm planning to go back to Las Casas soon.Ü There are still a lot of things to see and do. Several structures were being built the last time I was there. I saw a church, a couple of hotels, a bridge, and new houses to be reconstructed. It looks like they're building a new town plaza past La Bella Teodora and it won't be a surprise because they still have so much space on this 400-hectare property.





I am thankful for the efforts, time, and resources that Las Casas management has devoted into the restoration of these Heritage Houses. Some people may not agree with me thinking that the team behind this heritage park strips towns of their heritage and culture. But I'd rather see these old houses restored elsewhere than leave them in their original locations without having anyone look after them. Just my two cents :) ☮..Peace + _Love + Spreading Some Travel Vibes. RUSS.


★ ★ ★ ★ ★


✎  Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar
  +632 3325338 / +632 3553032 / +63 917 8729361
  Bo. Pag-asa, Bagac, Province of Bataan


85 comments:

Cher said...

This sounds like a great trip. I have not visited the Philippines yet but it is on my "to see" list!

spiffykerms said...

What a gorgeous looking spot! I can only imagine the amount of relaxation would be happening if I went there. Looks sooo beautiful.

Masshole Mommy said...

That sounds like an amazing place to visit. I loved looking at all your photos. It's a gorgeous place indeed.

Ashley said...

I can totally relate with the desire to live in another time, though not so far back in time. I've always said I was meant to live in the 1950's ;) This village looks incredible and is definitely something I would love to check out should i get the chance to visit your country. We have a restoration village by our home and I love the feeling of stepping back in time!

Alli Smith said...

I've never had a chance to visit the Philippines, but I would love to tool around on a bike and visit all the sites, including this one. Looks like so much fun!

Lisa Codina said...

This place is stunning...it looks so peaceful and rural. I would love to visit somewhere like this!

(Terry) My Journey With Candida said...

You are making me want to travel to Las Casas in Bataan. Close to the sea and cobbled stone paths sound like it would make a very romantic getaway.

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle said...

Wow. Everything about this place is wonderful. It's all so beautiful, from the accommodations to the beach. I love it!

Chubskulit Rose said...

That looked like a complete relaxation time. YOur post warms me up, I wish I could go to the beach right now. I miss eating the ice cream na tinitinda sa streets hehehe.

Melissa Pezza said...

I think this looks amazing! I love the accommodations and I love the scenery. It's wonderful!

Grace said...

What a wonderful experience this was for you and I love places like this where you can learn the history of events that took place in a country and enjoy being there as an outing. Loved the photos and hope I get to go there some day.

Joseph James said...

This places looks like so much fun. Looks like you had a wonderful time there. The weather looks great!

Cara (@StylishGeek) said...

How fascinating it must be to be able to stay in a place rich with history and heritage! Thanks for sharing your travel adventure! I enjoyed reading it!

Tanya Coffman said...

Looks like you had an elegant stay! That water is so blue and refreshing <3

Olivia Schwab said...

It looks like you had an amazing trip! The water is so blue and I'd love to go here!

Bonnie Gowen said...

Looks like a great trip to take. I love when others post about places I have never seen. Makes me feel like I am there too. =)

mail4rosey said...

I don't blame you a bit for wanting to go back. Everything looks absolutely amazing.

Mhie Lee said...

I never had a chance to explore my own country. This place is so inviting and I love going history,I just wish to have an opportunity to explore here. You're lucky to explore this kind of place.

Liz Mays said...

I really need to start traveling out of the country.I'd love to go here!

Nina Say said...

Oh my goodness I would want to go back too! It is an absolutely gorgeous place.

Terri Ramsey said...

I know Philippines is one of the most beautiful place in this world, I'd love to visit in the Philippines one day.

Ashley Howard said...

My brother in law has visited the Philippines and loves it. Now I kind of wish I was able to explore there with my family!

http://dailyleisure.com/category/travel/

Cassie said...

This looks like a truly incredible trip. Lots of spectacular views and plenty of stuff to do!

Elizabeth O. said...

Wow so beautiful!!! I’ll visit it if I ever take a vacation in the Philippines!

Roselynn Mercedes said...

It looks like you had a wonderful trip so I don't blame you for wanting to go back. I would love to go there one day and visit some of their beautiful beaches, I have heard nothing but great things about them.

celebbabylaundry said...

What a beautiful place, I would love to visit there myself!

HilLesha O'Nan said...

It looks like a beautiful place to visit! I'm looking forward to getting more usage out of my passport since I'd love to travel internationally more. The Philippines is one of the places I'd love to cross off my traveling bucket list.

Pauline C. said...

Wow that’s a lovely and culture-rich place! I hope I can visit someday since I’ll be learning a lot about Spanish-Philippine history!

Lauren Richardson said...

This sounds like a great trip. I have not visited the Philippines yet but it is on my "to see" list!! Thanks for posting!

Michele D said...

Those buildings are beautiful and the craftsmanship is unbelievable. Thank you for sharing our travels with us. It really looks like a must place to visit.

Lisa said...

This place looks amazing! I hope I can visit someday!

Kori Tomelden said...

I have not had the opportunity to visit the Philippines yet but there are so many places I want to see. My dad's family is from there so I really want to learn more about my heritage.

Erin said...

Wow! What an incredible trip. Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Ann B said...

This looks like an amazing place to go on a vacation. It looks like you are having an amazing time.

Yona Williams said...

I loved seeing the water scenes in your photos, and hearing about the area. I would have liked to try some of the Filipino-Spanish cuisine if I were there. I love trying new dishes.

Jeanine said...

How awesome. Looks like a great, interesting trip! I don't blame you for wanting to go back - it looks lovely!

CourtneyLynne said...

Omg what a fabulous place and filled with history!!!! Sounds like a great place. I would love to visit myself someday :)

Christina Aliperti said...

This looks like a wonderful vacation. Everything looks so beautiful and peaceful. The perfect place to relax!

Sara-Jayne Jones said...

Beautiful photos - and breathtaking scenery! I would love to visit the Phillipines, and if I was you I'd be itching to get back there too!

LifeAsAConvert said...

This looks like a great place to visit. I'll have to take my man into going here one day :)

Krysta said...

Looks absolutely beautiful! I love the special places we find that steal our hearts. Traveling allows such beauty to constantly surprise us! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Varga said...

Looks like it was an amazing trip! Would love to visit someday!

Krystal said...

I would like to try that Filipino Soanish cuisine! Those dishes sound appetizing. Nice photo!

Beth Williams said...

This looks like so much fun~! I absolutely LOVE the Philippines and can't wait to go back.

Soiree Design Studio said...

Good for you for wanting these houses restored! So much history there. Such a beautiful place.

Danielle @ We Have It All said...

This looks like an amazing place. I wanna go!!

The Mommy-Files said...

That sounds like a fun place to visit. Love the pictures you shared.

Danielle @ We Have It All said...

The thought of visiting the Philippines never crossed my mind. It looks so pretty though, I love your photos.

Sef Tiburcio said...

The place looks nice. I will definitely reco this to my friends and have a getaway!

Janine Ella said...

I agree! I love the colonial period without the bad history of the Spaniards too. These times I think the Philippines was a great place to live. And I want to live in those vintage houses! I didn't actually know about this so thanks for this post! Would check this out again when I'll plan to go to Las Casas someday :)

May De Jesus-Palacpac said...

Bataan is so beautiful! I've been reading blogs and blogs about it and I'm drawn to it. Good thing you mentioned about the day tour. I don't want to feel to hurried while trying to tour the place. I don't think I'll enjoy that way.

Franc said...

I've been wanting to go to Las Casas but never just found the time and company to be there. I was able to visit the site though and it was really beautiful.

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

Oh my - wonderful places. Seems like it was a lot of fun, makes me truly want to go!

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

I've always wanted to go there, I've seen lots of photos of the place showing the charm that comes with seeing Spanish-era architecture. I could really tell how much you loved your experience there and how you can never get tired of the place!

Gil Camporazo said...

Wow, it is a recollection of prehistoric time. I surely love the heritage place, especially the park. Very nice place indeed. By the way, I am looking around to find the caleza. Is there one, not to mention the bicycle...?

JOJO VITO said...

wow.this place is already in my bucket list....hopefully this year :)

TweenselMom said...

I've heard of that place before and it seems so classy. The beach looks so pristine. I hope to be there soon.

Janice Lim said...

I've been hoping to bring my family here for ages! Hope we'll finally be able to do it this year. :) I've heard so many nice things about the place.

Mommy Peach said...

I've seen a groupon deal for Las Casas at Deal Grocer before but at that time I didn't have the time to go there. Now that I do, I think I'm too pregnant to make the trip. I'll just list it down on my bucket list.

Vanessa said...

These heritage houses look amazing! It is a great thing that they are being restored as a pert of the Filipino cultural heritage. I would like to visit the place one day.

Badet Siazon said...

I also love heritage houses and old-world charm. I'd love to visit this place in the future.

Suzanne said...

What a beautiful place to visit! Such rich history to be enjoyed with the amazing architecture and landscaping to wander. It would be hard to leave!

Louise Banta said...

This is the kind of places I love to go! My mom usually say I'm like an old person enjoy old-style things. She's right. From some reason, heritage sites/houses comforts me. I would love to visit here with a friend who loves to know history and stuff like that. Just wondering, how much was the room you had for your stay? :)

Anne V said...

Las Casas looks great! Haven't been to Bataan yet, but this sure makes me want to visit soon! Can't wait to try the food there too!

Sumi Go said...

Las Casas Filipinas de Azucar has been on my bucketlist since the first time I've read about it! And your post definitely convinced me to go here really soon! Will have to book a night (or two) here asap! <3

Raymond Vasquez said...

I've not been to Bataan. And these just makes me want to visit Bataan too. I'd love to explore places like this. Heritage! Culture! this is on my list now.

Kylie wenn said...

Lovely place with wonderful charm! I bet you enjoy your visit very much!

Elizabeth O. said...

The water looks inviting! I've never been there, but I would love to visit some day.

Fernando Lachica said...

Discovering this place looks wonderful and am sure the food too. You enjoyed a lot and more to explore next time.

Raquel Mitchell said...

Looking at the pictures made me feel like I was transported to another place and time. I’d really wish to visit there when schedule allows.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

Thanks for sharing the information from the trip. I like how you provide the cost so that we know how much we will expect to spend. But I guess the beautiful scenery is the selling point!

Amanda Love said...

Oh this looks like a great place to visit. So much to do and see and eat. If I'm ever in this part of the world I'd love to visit.

Amie Hu said...

Looks like such a fantastic vacation! Gotta love a holiday destination with culture AND beautiful beaches.

Karen said...

Las Casas Filipinas is making its name in the tourism industry. Putting old houses into one place while keeping its natural structure is a good idea but I learned it's very costly too.

lee rosales said...

Great vacation you had with your lovedones. I have never been in Bataan, though we plan to go there. I just hope this year we'll be able to go there

Fred Hawson said...

I have been wanting to visit this place for a long time since I heard about it. My office went there last week, but unfortunately, I was not able to join that trip. I think an overnight stay would be better, but the per person charge sounds too much.

Evelina Anya said...

The trip looks great! Glad that you have a good time ;) The places looks very nice

Franc said...

Las Casas gets more enticing every time I see the photos of the place. I really like its old school charm.

Pooja Kawatra said...

The place looks really great i have never been to this or any surrounding place but looking at the photos and details i think to make a trip soon.

papaleng said...

It would be a perfect date for me and my wife to have a day or 2 at Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar. Seems you have a great day out there.

Jason P. said...

It's always nice to visit the old towns that still resemble our country's rich history. Definitely looking up Las Casas for a next possible getaway! :D

Danessa Foo said...

This looks like a fabulous place to visit. Love the castle outlook and feeling. Thanks for sharing :)

Sunshine Kelly said...

Las Casas in a quite and simple town yet it gives privacy and tranquility. I like the calm sea and peaceful surrounding.

Ling said...

From where did you make the day trip from babe? Manila? It does look like a pretty place worth a night at least, for the cultural show.

jared's mum said...

i have read great stuff about this place, hopefully i can visit this with my boys one of these days.