29 June, 2015

Carpe Diem: June 2015


Tallest Building in Manila
Love on top's embraced by a surprisingly gorgeous June sunset
at the tallest building in Manila, Golden Empire Tower


Even as a kid, June was never my favorite month. June meant that summer's over and that it's the start of the wet season. Classes in the Philippines start in June and now that I'm working, it just screams horrendous, the nightmare kind of traffic all over Metro Manila. The usual 30 to 45-minute drive from my house to my office would stretch to about 1.5 to 2 hours. The ride back home is worse. And all that points to me getting up an hour earlier than usual so I won't be late for work.

While it did seem a bit different this year, I still don't like this month. I don't think I ever will. This year though, surprisingly, it has not been raining that much yet. It even feels like June gave us an extended summer because the weather's been surprisingly warm and humid. At the start of this month, I had the chance to join a couple for a wedding pictorial at one of our projects in Manila. It was drizzling in the morning and it was a pleasant surprise that we all were able to enjoy a magnificent Manila sunset that day.

See that photo above? That was taken at the helipad of the tallest building in the city ... ah, the perks of the job.Ü





My Favorite Blog This Month: Love & Road. ( www.loveandroad.com )
When I'm not thinking of a Marketing campaign and when I'm not blogging, one of the things I do is read travel blogs. I just left a comment at Elizabeth's blog that travel is my muse. The things that I want to pursuit and the places that I want to see are one of my sources of motivation and encouragement. On my free time, I have my iPad with me ... check my NOTES and you'll find that 80% of the stuff there is about traveling.Ü And, one of my recent discoveries this month which has become a new favorite love  Love and Road , a travel blog started by a Brazilian couple who both quit their jobs and well, they've been traveling and living the life. They've had adventures in Asia ( and they've been to the Philippines ), Africa, and Europe. You guys will probably not be surprised if I just quit my job one day and go on full-time adventure.

What I'm Reading
I really haven't had that much time to read lately except when I do my weekly holy 2-hour me-time at a nail salon. I'm struggling to finish The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones and Ursula Jones.

What I'm Watching
Catherine de Medici is starting to grow on me.Ü This femme fatale is one of the reasons why I watch Reign. At the same time, the series has gotten me interested in 16th century France. I have also started to read more about the events that happened during these years particularly Catholicism and the rise of Protestantism. I'd probably dwell on those in a separate post. Reign is a series that's inspired by the early years of Mary Queen of Scots.


Reign, Season 2
Image Credit: Voguish at Best


What I'm Eating + Drinking
I signed up with Fitness Gourmet PH ( healthy 1,200-meal program ) this month. I've put on a bit of weight last May ( gasp! ) because I did some stress-eating — that's just so bad, I know. BUT I'm happy to share with you guys that last I checked, I've shed about 3.5 pounds and I'm on the road to losing about 5 more pounds.

What's Making Me Smile Right Now
Someone is making me smile right now — a new mentor has been introduced into my life. I am grateful that amongst all the managers at work, he hand-picked me to help him out. I am overflowing with respect with this man because he's instrumental in equipping my previous bosses with the right things to put them up there. Not only that, he's behind the huge success of so many real estate companies as well as commercial & retail centers.

Our meetings would go bout 2-3 hours every other day. I usually hate meetings, but these have been different because I always look forward to them. I have been learning a lot from this man and if the heavens permit, I will be given an opportunity to have a valuable addition to my portfolio + I may also be given the chance to work on the 'legacy' that I have always dreamt of for the company that I'm connected with right now. Wish me luck :)




That's pretty much June 2015 for me. I'm curious. Do you like June? What's June like in your city?
☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


45 comments:

manikreigun said...

June has brought me a sense of thrill. I got excited by the thoughts of going to school (mainly to see friends and classmates), and the horrible rains meant longer sleeping times at home!

Love your shot at the rooftop, I wish I could have a go from that spot as well! x

http://www.manikmakina.com | That M Blog

Masshole Mommy said...

I can't wait to hear how that meal plan works for you. I have been stress eating lately and need to take off a few pounds.

Jessica said...

June felt like a really slow month for me but it was actually super productive! I'm really looking forward to July though!

Liz Mays said...

I need to look into those shows. I've been doing some reading since I've been traveling so much these past few weeks,.

Cindy Gordon said...

Your rooftop shot is amazing! Truly amazing! For June I felt like I sailed through. July is my time to seize the day!

Christy Garrett said...

Wow you travel a long ways to and from work. I couldn't do it. Have you considered telecommuting? I would at least ask because the worst that can happen is they say "no".

Nicci said...

I like to watch Reign as well, although I don't like the choices Mary is making at the moment. And that is a beautiful picture of the sky!

Lauren Harmon said...

Congrats on your weight loss, I bet that feels awesome! I also haven't been doing much reading lately but I need to!

Adrianas Best Recipes said...

Nice to hear more about you and your taste. As well as that you are smiling, that is important for a healthy life. Congrats!

Czjai Reyes-Ocampo said...

It's been a pretty busy month for me since my boy is back in school. Mornings are usually extremely hot and humid, with the occasional heavy downpour in the afternoon.

Terri Ramsey Beavers said...

Thanks so much for sharing. Here in Georgia, June means heat and more heat. The gnats and mosquito are terrible. I'd love more of the wet stuff to keep them away, lol. Keep smiling.

Ron Leyba said...

Me, I love JUNE. Why? It's my birthmonth!

That helipad photo you have looks good. I think you have a lot of those pics mainly because of the kind of job you have.

Elizabeth O. said...

Losing 3.5 pounds is amazing. I'm thinking about getting those meal plans, too.

Good to hear that you have a new mentor. I wish you all the luck!

Holly @ Woman Tribune said...

I love me some travel blogs. The places you can see from around the world are amazing and open up my eyes to so many new things.

Carly said...

That photo is absolutely beautiful! You definitely have a great perk to your job right there! :)

Erika Awakening said...

Absolutely amazing photos! Thanks for sharing your latest news. Love that sunset.

Fariha N. said...

I also put on some weight this past few months. It's something that I have been working on for a while and I am making progress.

Jeana B. said...

Having a reason to smile every day is a great blessing. I hope you find more fulfilment.

Beth Williams said...

Wow, congrats! That's a good accomplishment. Also, that photo from Manila is beautiful

Kendra Williams said...

It's great to hear that you have mentor that you respect!

Roanne said...

Wow, that's quite a stunning view you got there. Funny though, my office building shares the same name without the golden, but it is not the tallest building around here. Best view I've got so far was from an office building in Silom (downtown Bangkok CBD area) which offers a majestic view of Bangkok, tad bit better than Sirocco where The Hangover 2 was shot.

About diet and fitness stuff, it really is a pain as you get older. I've been meaning to shed 10 pounds but sometimes I think getting my old weight back fr college days is just a thing of the past. Enrolled in a gym for a year and got into different classes ranging from dance to boxing. Trimmed down my food as well, but I can't seem to let it go coz I love to eat and cook! I did lose 5-7 pounds at one point, but I guess my weight is more of yo-yoing, losing and getting the pounds back. :(

April Grant said...

Being on the opposite side of the world, I don't like June for the exact opposite reason. It means that hot and muggy summer is here and I either have to hole up in the house or quickly shuttle between locations.

Jasmine Watts said...

I need to take off a few pounds. How that Meal-plan work for you and what is that Meal plan?

Jen JbBoutique said...

WOW what a stunning view and what a gorgeous picture. It is funny how different part of the world is so different. June is one of my fav months and summer really started to come for us in the UK.
Jen x
http://jenjbboutique.co.uk

My Thirty Spot said...

I love this! This is such a cute post! I love posts like this, a little info about you, and the currents of your life. I have also tried delivery meals. I loved them! Saved time and I lost weight too! Good luck! - Erin Kennedy

Fred Hawson said...

Right, June equals school opening so it is also not a very favorite month. I welcome it now because of the beginning of the rainy season to cool down the very warm summers we have been having lately.

Fatemah Sajwani said...

June has been a really great month for me. IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY LAST MONTH, GOT A REALLY AWESOME INTERNSHIP AND POSTED MANY FUN ARTICLES ON MY WEBSITE.
<a href="http://whatfatemahsays.com>Fatemah Sajwani | What Fatemah Says </a >

Nicol said...

ooo well done on your weight loss! sounds like a good june!

Hannah Green said...

This is a great overview of what you are you enjoying. I love post like this. I always find some new loves from them.

Louise Banta said...

Wow! The view is breathtaking! Though I wanna see the scenery for myself, I don't think I could survive at the top as I have fear of heights. Hehe.

Sin Yee said...

So fast, the first half year has passed. It brought me both good and bad thing. Can't wait for the second half.

Pooja Kawatra said...

Though i dont like month o June as it is pretty hot everywhere but yes at the same time a month to relax with family during school holidays.

Franc said...

It's nice that you have found a diet that works for you. Good luck on the more pounds you'll be losing and for the new month.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I always wanted to do what you did. Summarizing what you did every month is a good recap and allow people to look forward to see how to improve. But somehow, I never got the chance to do so :(

Ayesha said...

The photo is incredible! I bet you are having much fun in your job. Congratulations in advance on that legacy! I know you can make it :)

Russ R. said...

Thanks, TIFFANY. The original plan is to do it at the start of the month but I guess when busy-ness kicks in, I end up writing towards the end. Have a great week ahead dear.

Franc said...

It's also nice that you found a mentor. I'm sure you'll be a lot better learning from him.

Sef Tiburcio said...

Good thing you are enjoying your life lately. Also, I want to sign up for the meal plan thingy, I am gaining weight because of too much work overload in the hospital. Patients are somehow toxic. :(

Manu Kalia said...

What an inspiring post, this will trigger more motivation to fellow who wants to weight loss.

Janice Lim said...

Great updates! Good luck on that potential opportunity at work and congrats on the weight loss. I hope I lose weight soon too. What's your secret? :)

Sunshine Kelly said...

June was a tuff month for me too. Misunderstanding happened that was out of my control, things went wrong and many more. I hope July will make it up for all that.

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

Ako din, I used to hate June because that means classes starts na and vacation is over. I hope you are feeling good this month, though.

theresa said...

I think I want to watch what you are watching but I really just don't have the time right now.

Shayn Summer said...

I wonder how it is like to be traveling and living the life. I'm sleepy as usual so I haven't have much time for watching and reading. I'm planning to read Immortals series though. June month is wala lang, a normal month to me.

Mommy Peach said...

I've heard a lot of good things about Reign. I think it's time I watch the series.