21 July, 2015

Food Trip: Shi Lin

Shi Lin

I'm not the biggest fan of Chinese food but since P is Chinese, I've come to appreciate Chinese dishes — it hasn't reached that level of ultimate love similar to how I feel about Greek, Vietnamese, Japanese, Mediterranean, and Italian food but I am slowly getting there.Ö When it comes to Chinese restaurants here in Manila ( both fancy and casual ), he'd be the best person to ask. He's brought me to several Chinese restaurants and so far, all of them have been great.

Stating the obvious, it was P who introduced me to Shi ( the howe said this is pronounced 'SHIR'.Ü ) Lin some few years ago. I first dined at their branch in Podium, Ortigas and have loved their food ever since. We sometimes go to their branch in PowerPlant, in Makati and on days when P visits me in the South, we eat at Shi Lin in Alabang Town Center. I have a love affair with food and dining out; it takes a lot to make me come back to a restaurant but I tell you, if I leave a restaurant happy, expect to see me often. This is pretty much what happened to Shi Lin & I. :)




Xiao Long Bao in progress
Xiao Long Bao in progress


Home of the best Xiao Long Bao in Manila
Some say that Shi Lin is Taiwanese of some sort because the name of the restaurant was taken from a district in Taipei, but their food looks very much Chinese to me: Salt & Pepper Squid, Spicy Spare Ribs, Spicy Pork & Shrimp Wonton, Prawn Cake, Xiao Long Bao ( Soup Dumplings ), Braised Beef Noodles, Congee, Almond Jelly with Lychee, etc. Anyways, I am not here to get into a debate whether it's Taiwanese or Chinese.

I didn't grow up eating Xiao Long Bao because my family and my friends weren't into Chinese food. So, the first time that P took me to Shi Lin was to make me try Xiao Long Bao ( pronounced SHOW-LONG-BAO ), which by the way, is his super favorite. We always get the order with 10-pcs, priced at Php246 or approx. $5.55. "The Xiao Long Bao recipe originated in Shanghai but the recipe has been adapted all over China and Hong Kong. No one knows where the exact Xiao Long Bao recipe came from but usually, the dish is consumed more in the south of China where unleavened dough is used to make the dumpling skins." [ Source: iFood.TV ]

I am always encouraged to eat these little bun baskets of happiness whilst they're still piping hot, which means, as soon as they are served on the table. Unfortunately, I really just couldn't. After my thyroidectomy, I've found it difficult to take in anything extra hot because it scalds this tissue part near my trachea ( I think that's what's it called ). If you'd like to know the proper way of eating Xiao Long Baos, The Food Republic has this easy-to-follow illustrated guide.


Xiao Long Bao Noodles with Sesame and Peanut Sauce Spicy Shrimp & Pork Wonton Spicy Shrimp & Pork Wonton


Our Shi Lin ritual
Other Shi Lin favorites that I love are the Spicy Shrimp & Pork Wonton ( Php135 or approx. $3 ) or the Spicy Vegetables & Pork Wonton ( Php118 or approx. $2.67 ). You ought to eat these with a bath of vinegar + soy sauce + some chili oil + ginger slivers, which altogether give a nice kick ... nakakatanggal ng umay. P and I share a common liking for Shi Lin's Fried Rice and since he hates anything spicy, he always gets the fried and non-spicy versions of my Shrimp & Pork Wontons. And, when he's extra hungry, he gets an order of Shi Lin's Noodles with Sesame & Peanut Sauce ( Php145 or approx. $3.28 ). For those who want veggies, I recommend the Stir-Fry Native Spinach.

A meal is never complete without a sweet ending, right? Shi Lin has Cool Almond Jelly with Lychee, Hot Almond Cream with Sesame Balls, Red Bean Pancake, and Shi Lin Cheesecake. Although it's not a dessert per se, Shi Lin's Deep Fried Mantou ( Chinese white bread served with condensed milk ) is our favorite sweet fix. A plate of 3-pieces Deep Fried Mantou that costs Php95 or $2 is good for sharing.


Shi Lin's Deep Fried Mantou




Great Service. Xiao Long Bao. Generous Portions. Xiao Long Bao. Reasonable Prices. These make Shi Lin a popular dining place especially for quick but satisfying meals.

Have you tried Xiao Long Bao?
 ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


★ ★ ★ ★ ★


✎  Shi Lin
  +632.8699869
  Ground Floor, Alabang Town Center, Corporate Avenue, Muntinlupa, 1781 Metro Manila


55 comments:

lee rosales said...

Fried mantou and fried shrimp & pork wanton are tempting. I love fried wantons the most. Its good to see that you can watch those cooks how they make their food. You will see how clean is the kitchen as well

Pooja Kawatra said...

Wonton looks yummy specially the fried one and noodles with peanut sauce. Great variety they are offering !

Elizabeth O. said...

It was in Taiwan that I first had a taste of Xiao Long Bao. There was a kiosk right behind the hotel where we stayed. People were lining up for this dumpling soup for breakfast. It was so good and since then I've been a fan. I have yet to try Shi Lin's.

Karen said...

I am now convinced that foods in Shi Lin are great because you have been to or keep coming back to several of its branches in Metro Manila. And the price is good too.

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

I've actually been to Shi Lin in Taipei, but interestingly, I didn't find half of the restaurant's menu in that district. I do love their food though, especially the noodles with peanut sauce.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

It's pretty interesting because Shi Lin is actually the name of a famous night market in Taiwan, and the dishes like xiao long bao you had are more chinese ( from china) than Taiwan!

Shi Lin can be pronounced as Shhhh Lin
And Xiao Long Bao is Siao Long Bao :)

Raine Pal said...

I love Chinese food and these foods are my favorite. A next food spot to visit in Manila.

Franc said...

I've tried their Rockwell branches. I love their dim sum and dumplings. They also have a lot of Chinese meal offering.

papaleng said...

Chinese foods are my kind of dishes. Those pao are so tempting. Can I have one?

Fred Hawson said...

Thanks for this recommendation for another Chinese restaurant. My folks always want to try new Chinese restaurants. Now we know what to order if we stumble on this restaurant one day.

Kelly Chin said...

As usual I will go for the Xiao Long Pao & Wanton. I can't tolerate too much peanut so I will avoid those food with peanut.

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle said...

I would love to give this restaurant a try. The food looks fantastic.

Masshole Mommy said...

I am a huge Chinese food fan and I think all that food looks awesome. Wish I lived closer so I could go there and eat.

Christy Maurer said...

I am a huge fan of Chinese food! If I lived close to this, I would have to visit! It's nice that you go with him even though you aren't crazy about Chinese food.

Nina Say said...

I am officially drooling. This is my favorite cuisine, and I haven't had any in too long.

Theresa Pickett said...

I don't love all Chinese food, but what you got looks really good. I'd definitely try it.

Ricci said...

This post is just making me hungry. I could totally got for some Chinese food right about now!!

Heather Jones said...

I love wontons! I could eat them all day. Delicious looking food. Looks like a lovely place to dine.

Shaney Vijendranath said...


Everything looks so good! I'm a huge dumpling fan. Just indulged in some yesterday. Yummy! I'm hungry now.:P

Wandering Carol said...

I love Chinese food, particularly dim sum, but I have the opposite problem as you. My husband isn't a big fan so we don't it that often. Luckily I have a friend who loves Chinese food.

Ron Leyba said...

Your crisp and great photos made me crave for Chinese foods now Russ. Love them all!

Chubskulit Rose said...

You are making me hungry, literally. Looking at this food makes me wants to go in the kitchen and cook!

Lynndee said...

I LOVE Chinese food! I'm drooling over your photos here actually. But I'm not sure if I've ever had Xiao Long Bao. Are they the same as siopao?

Christy Garrett said...

The food looks amazing. I just ate lunch and I am still hungry. My mouth is watering. :)

mykidsguide said...

You are making me hungry. All those food looks so delicious. I love Xioa Long Bao!

Jacqui Odell said...

The food looks amazing! I want to try the shrimp wantons!

Faye Wilkerson said...

I wish I could make those dumpling so beautifully. I can't get the twist down perfect. I'll keep trying.

Chrystal Mahan said...

My husband adores Chinese food and he would eat it every day if you let him. While their are some dishes that I like, I couldn't eat it every day. So, when we do eat it together, its usually a special time.

Louise Banta said...

I'm a huge fan of Chinese food and their dumplings! However, I'm not a fan of xiao long bao for some reason. My parents love it though. I guess I prefer hakao (or hakaw) more than that. :)

Annemarie LeBlanc said...

Shi Lin's Xiao Long Bao are the best! I love Chinese food! Anything from chow mein, to wonton, to steamed or fried man tou. The flavors are just so unique and yummy.

Ling said...

Ah these look like very decent shanghai dim sums and dishes! Your bf has great taste even when it comes to food I see ;)

Lisa said...

I want to try that Mantou...it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing all these yummy food photos, I'm totally drooling now.

Mrs. Stephens said...

Those dumplings looks delicious. The noddles looks so yummy. I would eat all this food in a heartbeat.

mail4rosey said...

I do love a good wonton every now and again. I'd love to learn to make them at home.

Dina said...

I love the crab rangoons the most. I think I'd have a hard time saying no to any of that htough.

Jessica Simms said...

BEautiful food and beautiful presentation! It all looks so delicious!

Rebecca Swenor said...

It would be interesting to see how Chinese food is made. I totally love Chinese food and so does my family. Thanks for sharing.

Tracy Iglesias said...

You had me at Fried Shrimp and Pork Wontons, those look so GOOD!!! I would like those right now!

Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

Martine Jolicoeur said...

This looks so appetizing! I am a fan of Chinese noodles. It would be a pleasure to eat at that restaurant!

Danielle X. said...

Everything looks so yummy! I love dumplings and egg rolls so these dishes look great to me. The fried mantou sounds like a yummy treat.

Tiffany C said...

Wow- those dishes look amazing. I love eating Chinese food SO much and now I am hungry! :)

OY HZ said...

Shi Lin is actually the name of a street in Taiwan. But nonetheless, Xiao long Bao originated from Shanghai I believe. I love a good xlb anytime! :)

Erin said...

Oh wow, everything looks so so good! I'm so hungry now!

April Mims said...

This food looks really tasty! We don't eat a lot of Chinese food because a lot of it isn't what we think is authentic.

Franc said...

I like the part that meals won't be complete with a sweet ending. I love the cool almond jelly with lychee.

MELISSA U said...

Wow! I love your photos. Hehe. I am now craving for some shrimp and pork wonton :)

theresa said...

OMG! Fried shrimp, fried shrimp, fried shrimp, are my faves! Anything shrimp and seafood actually. Looks delish. I love dumplings and would love to explore more Chinese food.

Irish said...

I like chinese cuisine especially their dumplings! I'll try this restaurant when we visit ATC next time

Camesha | Mama Motivator said...

I'm a sucker for noodles. These look yummy! I have never had the fried mantou. Sounds interesting.

Gil Camporazo said...

I am too curious to check this out especially the greatness of its service as you made mentioned it. It is good for you that you've experienced their meals and they're satisfying. My knowledge about this Shi Lin is too limited. I just rely on what you've presented it here. Thanks for that.

Gabriel Bregg said...

Looks amazing. Southeast asian food has so much more variety in it than most american food. Makes me jealous.

Sef Tiburcio said...

Aside from the Pork Wonton dish, are there any friend food to choose from? Eyeing for Peking Duck meals.

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

We're not chinese but we love Chinese Food. We haven't tried Shi Lin, though.

Albert, N. said...

I actually love Chinese food but i'm still struggling with the chopstick :)

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

I'll ask my husband to take me to Shi Lin the next time we eat out.