07 December, 2015

Food Trip: Marius M Spa & Café, Cavite

Tucked away in the heart of Silang, Cavite is a lovely garden café ( I think that's what it is ) that's also a spa — Marius M Spa & Café. I frequent Silang and have been going to this town since 2011, but I don't remember hearing about  Marius M Spa and Café  until that one weekend in July when I had to work extra hours because of a 4x4 off-road race that I was co-organizing. A male colleague of mine knew that I was a foodie and he suggested that we go to Marius. Whenever I'm in Slang, I always dine at either one of my two favorite Bulalo heavens: Glo-Anns and LZM. The change of atmosphere from my 'usuals' was a likable experience.

Marius, Silang, Cavite

BUT but but ... unless you're a local, you probably won't know about Marius. When I said that it's tucked away in Silang, believe me, it is concealed. Surprisingly, it's not that difficult to find because they're situated close to the national highway. However, this doesn't exactly give them cookie points because there's no way that people can just walk-in to their restaurant. They don't have directional signs in the area so I guess they rely entirely on word-of-mouth. Other than the small Dunkin Donuts shop along Aguinaldo Highway, you won't have other Marius markers. Lol. Seriously, they need to put up some directional signs.Ö

If you're Tagaytay-bound and are coming from Manila via Aguinaldo Highway, you just need to look for the lone Dunkin Donuts shop on this stretch. It's past LZM ( left side of the highway ) and Glo-Anns ( on the right side ). When you see Dunkin Donuts, that's your signal to slow down because at the intersection where the stoplight is, that is where you make a left to J.P. Rizal Street. Then you turn left ( again ) to R.M. Asuncion Street. This small, quiet street that leads you to Marius.




Paintings for Sale at Marius, Silang Paintings for Sale at Marius, Silang Plants for Sale at Marius, Silang


A fusion of sorts
I'm not sure if that sounded right but that does sum up my thoughts about Marius M Spa & Cafe. You won't be impressed with the facade — but don't worry because you're up for a visual treat once you set foot inside. I thought that it had a bit of a semblance ( just a little ) with Sonya's Garden with a nice artsy-fartsy twist to it. They have an area with paintings, chairs, home accents, huge vintage mirrors, candle holders, chests, clay jars, vases, and a lot of gorgeous wooden home decors. I did fancy this side of Marius. I got the chance to speak with the owner and asked if these items were his collection. Unfortunately, they're not. There would have been a nicer story to tell if they were, no?

If you explore the place a bit more, you'll find yourself being greeted by a lot of greens! A little further down, you'll see more greens. Spending most of my days in the city makes this truly a knockout.

Towards the left side of the area that says "Plants For Sale" is an outdoor garden dining area. I liked that their tables and chairs weren't matching. The fact that they did not just stick to one type of furniture gives the place a casual and chill vibe. Although I think, they need to do something with the roofing and their ceiling — everything was galvanized iron sheets. We dined at 2 o' clock in the afternoon and boy, it was scorching hot. The fans were of no help. I remember eating, not moving so much, but sweating like a pig. If the weather were cooler, Marius would be an easy favorite.


Chicken Wrap + Greek Lassi Pork Tayuba Chicken Sisig All-Day Breakfast Beef Tapa


Food Variety
There's a choice of appetizers, soups, salads, mains, pasta, pizza, all-day breakfast, rice dishes, and desserts. When we were there, we ordered ( food pics are up there ▲ ) Chicken Wrap — which they say is one of their best-sellers, Chicken Sisig, and Tapsilog. I ordered the Tapsilog, priced at Php190 or $4, which was good but it didn't make me happy. It had just 5 thinly-sliced pieces of the Beef Tapa. The Tayuba, which is their version of a popular Pinoy dish ( the Adobo ), is more promising at Php150 or $3.20. The pork was tender, cooked just right, and flavorful.

My colleague was disappointed as well with her Chicken Sisig ( Php160 or $3.43 ) and it's not because of the taste. Similar to my Tapsilog, the portion size of the Chicken Sisig was for a kiddie meal as my colleague puts it.

If you have a sweet tooth, there's not much desserts to choose from. There are only 4 items and bad news, they don't have anything chocolate here. You could pick from the Buko Sorbet with Lychee & Spiced Budbud, Mais Con Hielo, Mango Torte, and Apple Crumble. Marius drink offerings make up for the variety that they lack in the desserts. They have Strawberry Shake, Sweet Lassi ( which I had and it's a must-try; it's priced at Php140 / $3 ), Tea Fizz, Rootbeer Float, Iced Tarragon with Pandan Tea, Iced Barako, Cranberry Juice, Herbal Tea, Hot Cocoa, and Barako Coffee. They also serve beer and wine.

Girlfriend Tip: Picky wine-lovers may have to try to not be fussy.


Marius, Silang, Cavite Marius, Silang, Cavite Marius, Silang, Cavite




My first visit would have been nice if it weren't for the portion size and if the place was not hot. They're staff were warm and attentive; service was commendable so that made up for the things I whined about.Ö Will I come back? Yes. Surprised? Really, I would. I'd bring my friends who are into paintings and those who want to shop for lovely home decors. And when I do visit again, I will try their Shrimp & Crab Wrap ( Php240 or $5.14 ), Hungarian Ghoulash with Linguine ( Php260 or $5.57 ) Iced Barako, and their Mango Torte ( Php220 or $4.72 ).

And guys, it could be a good date place especially if you're doing a long drive from Manila. You just have to pick the right dining time :)
 ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆


✎  Marius, M Spa & Cafe
  +63.917.6048041
  RM Ascuncion Street, Silang, Cavite


50 comments:

Eileen Kelly said...

What a great place to visit. I am a foodie, so I have to say the food choices are completely yummy!

Jerwel De Perio said...

Lovely place. It gives you the feel that you're in a province but still part of the city.

Elizabeth O. said...

I don't really mind a place that doesn't look over the top. It looks quite relaxing to be honest. I love the numerous artworks inside and the food looks amazing!

Franc said...

The place looks refreshing with the plants and the artworks. They have also tasty looking food.

Erica Villas said...

This is brilliant. I live in Tagaytay so I will definitely make a journey down here. I love the arts and deco here. Hopefully the food is right up my alley too.

Katrina Centeno said...

I was hoping for a good review on food. I hope they read this and improve on their menu. The place looks promising. There are lots of artsy fartsy things I like.

Fred Hawson said...

I do not know if I will ever get into this neck of the woods, but it looks like will be a good lunch if ever we make a stopover there. I hardly go to Tagaytay anymore because of traffic.

Raymond Vasquez said...

This is a cool place to dine. A cool place to spend time with someone special. I love the ambiance.

yvonnembertoldo said...

Wow! Those food photos look really inviting. And the place seems to be very relaxing. Will surely give this a try when in the area.

John Paul Quiambao said...

food trips are the best. i sure love to visit this place and try the food one day. :)

Sunshine Kelly said...

Wow I love this cafe, the view and surrounding it so serene and peaceful to chill.

lee rosales said...

I havent seen this cafe along silang. Is this along aguinaldo hiway or not? But the area is really for art lover like me

ConciergeLibrarian said...

This is fantastic...not really a foodie but it all looks appetizing....the venue looks relaxed and laid back

Leslie said...

Wow, that looks tasty. I love spa's, I usually give gift cards to my mommy friends so they can get pampered and have a time out. Thanks for the look around.

Liz Mays said...

I like the ambience of the place and would give it a try. The portion size doesn't bother me. I think most restaurants over-serve us anyhow. ;)

Michelle Mink said...

looks like a relaxing place to get a meal

Ickle Pickle said...

This place looks amazing and the food delicious - shame about the portion size. Kaz

Angie Scheie said...

The food looks delicious! Are there any actual spa treatments here, or is that just in the name?

mail4rosey said...

Thank goodness for the scent of coffee to bring us in, even w/o signs, right? :) I'd give it a try. :)

ana de jesus said...

I love the ambience the paintings remind me of street art

ROBERT LEE said...

Could have been better sana if the prices were right. Pero somehow, while reading especially at the beginning of the post, the lack of signs already tells me one thing - the owner is not committed to excellence. By excellence, I mean the portions for example. The lack of road signs is a glimpse into how the owner wants to run the resto/cafe.

When it comes to food, I have only one rule. Value for money and plus minus for healthy or unhealthy. For the place, the set up looks nice. Food may be tasty but when it is expensive due to small portions, then that is not something I would want to try.

To put things in perspective, I love the food at Italianis but when it comes to value, I rate a carinderia along Roces (QC) higher. :)

Tina said...

Nice article, the pictures look awesome. It looks like a place i would love to visit. :D

Travelerette said...

It's funny that the place looks so hard to find. But I like that kind of artsy decor. I'm sorry that you weren't more impressed with the food, but your pictures look great! I haven't tried most of those dishes ever, but I hope to someday!

Johna Paguinto said...

This place looks so lovely! I love all the beautiful and quirky art pieces. Too bad I live far from Cavite, but I will have to take a day trip there to see this place. Really want to try their chicken wrap, it looks so good!

Alison said...

What a fun place to eat! I think seeing all the beautiful art would make for a beautiful place to have lunch. Then hitting the spa right after that would make for a perfect day!

Sheri said...

I really cannot stand it when a restaurant does not make the proper provisions for their guests when it is hot. Fans after a while tend to blow out only hot air, so instead of cooling down you are only heating yourself up more. Plus with food to go with it, it just becomes worse. The food looks good and I love the fact that there is so much artwork.

Ainie Callora said...

The place looks lovely for art lovers! We have a place in Naic but I don't know where Silang is. Lol. I would lov to dine, drink wine and chill! I think it's much better to visit at a much later time so it won't be too hot?

Zwitsy said...

Good read. Thanks for being detailed in sharing your trip to Marius M Spa Cafe. I like the set up of the place just as how you describe them and by how you took all those shots from the said cafe. I just wonder how hot the place, is it really hot that makes you uncomfortable? I just hope that they'll get the chance to read this review of yours so that they will work out in improving the cons about their cafe.

Eunis Campijiyos said...

This is so brilliant, I might consider try something unique too. The place is not that far.Just 1 drive away, loving the art in there. I guess will try the healthy foodies in their cafe ;)

Cheryle Ramos said...

Feels like home! Been to Silang before and it's a very peaceful place. I always like the typical "lutong bahay" meals. However, it seems that they are not competent with regards to price.

Ayesha said...

I will be visiting Cavite soon. I guess this is perfect timing huh :) I love Sisig I've tried it once and I'm craving ha-ha :D Good thing they have it here. The place looks cozy and I think best place to stop when you're super hungry *winks

Rachel Mouton said...

What a great atmosphere at this cafe! The food looks amazing too :)

Mom Knows Best said...

The food looks delicious. That is a bummers about the portion sizes.

Amy Jones said...

This place looks so gorgeous! It might be a little hard to find but for me that just adds on to the experience of getting there!

Jasmine said...

This place looks so beautiful and serene! It reminds me of a place where I grew up on Maui called the Sacred Garden. Should you ever find yourself in Hawaii, make sure you go there!

Enricoh Alfonzo Naidu said...

Love the local art, great photos taken.
Glad you had such a fun experience

Anna Nuttall said...

What a great idea to visit. xx

www.annanuttall.com

Anosa Malanga said...

Sounds like an amazing place and love that it's tucked away

krystle cook said...

I hate when portions are too small. I hate leaving a restaurant and still be starving.

Karlaroundtheworld | Karla said...

The ambience feels so natural and organic in a good way. I haven't been to this place yet and it's great to see my all-time fave sisig there! Thanks for sharing this to the world!

Lexie Lane said...

That's a really cozy place to dine in. All the food made my mouth water!

Shannon Peterson said...

I love the setting and the ambience of the restaurant! It looks so homey!

Maya said...

This looks like a relaxing place to visit!

Laura Starner said...

This looks like a wonderful pace to visit. The food looks delicious.

Ana Fernandez said...

That pork tayuba looks so delicious! Would love to go there!

Life With Kathy said...

That looks like an amazing place to eat. All the food looks so delicious! I love all the art there too. That's so beautiful!

Kiwi said...

Look this post was effective because it made my mouth water. I know you said it was hot but it still gives off a great vibe!!

Ckrusch said...

Love the ambience! The food! I would love to visit a place like this! Thank you for sharing it!

CourtneyLynne said...

Omg this restaurant looks so yummy!!! Wish it was a tad bit closer to me so I could give it a try!

Yona Williams said...

The Pork Tayuba looks like something that I would eat. I love all of the artwork and natural features that you've pointed out here.