31 December, 2015

Pushed past my limits in 2015


In one word, I would describe my 2015 as   purposeful  . I had my fair share of bumps and as beauty queen-ish as this sounds, I used them to get myself to move out of my comfort zone. It made taking risks easier. I remember telling myself several times this year, "If not now, when?" Tough, grown-up calls made sense. I was taking on greater responsibilities, both at work and in the family. I had no trouble at all with the former. It's the latter that I found emotionally draining but I took on whatever it was being put on my plate.

On days when I felt like bitchin' out ( we all have these moments, right? ) and giving up, purpose always made me tread on. In the process, it has taught me to be selfless. It does a huge difference when you have self-discipline and when you put the interest of others first before yours. Telling myself A LITTLE BIT MORE always went a long way — I am beyond grateful that 2015 brought me opportunities that changed my perspective in a lot of things and at the same time, this year made me a more tenacious yet a more compassionate version of myself.

Let's timehop a bit and see how 2015 has been for me.





First Selfie. Blurred Me. Nope, we're not in Japan but we wish with all hearts that we are.

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


Wishing and hoping that we're in Japan. We did go back to Japan - 10 mos. after this.


This sarong was for rent ( RM 5.00 ) at Batu Caves.

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


Celebrated my 23rd birthday ( again ) in KL


My little cousins are not-so-little anymore 💚💙💜 #FamilyIsLove

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


My grandmother joined her Creator in March,
but it gave the family some time to re-connect.



Hong Kong. ✈️

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


Taking on bigger roles at work


Felt like Circa 2011. More get-togethers please ☺️ #GoodTimes

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


One of my super good friends, B starts his journey to forever


Love. Love. Love. #Weddings #WeddingsPH #Manila #ManilaSunset #BTS

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


And we got another wedding here ...



Did a lot of new projects and firsts with these two.
I tell you guys, it's good to get out of your comfort zone.




Made new friends co-organizing my first-ever 4 x 4 off-road challenge


Grateful and blessed for the 28 years of friendship ( and counting ) with this funny girl 💜💜

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


I dunno how long it has been since she was last here in Manila
but it's great how we just picked up from where we left off,
as if we just saw each other the other day — the only diff now
is that she now has a kid and is enjoying every minute of it.



Got close to the little dude – wasn't as scary as I thought 👍

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


Got extremely lucky to have been allowed to have some days off
to travel ( again ) to one of my favorite countries — JAPAN.
Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara took my breath away. Can't wait to be back!
See photos from my trip in my VSCO page.




I joined an international photo contest for the first time.
Read about it here.




Ended the year on a very happy note. Good times.






I end 2015 and this post the same way as I did last year and previous years before that — I'm taking a minute to not ask for anything but to continue to be grateful for the opportunities, for all the blessings, and for everything that has been given to me. Despite challenges, 2015 has still been good to my family and I. Sometimes, life does get hard and the process can be painful, but each time I look at the bigger picture, I still say that I have no reason to complain. I promise to always do my best to be a good person even if others are not.Ü

To YOU ( the person reading this post ), I am happy that we counted another year of being virtually together. I genuinely hope to meet you in person in one of my future travels. From my blog to yours, may you have a blessed, peaceful, and love-filled 2016 ahead. Happy blogging in 2016 and keep on smiling!  ☮ Peace + ❥ Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.

50 comments:

Sayantini Bhattacharya said...

Great to know you had a great year. May this new year brings all the joy you deserve. Happy New Year :)

Karina Ramos said...

2015 was a year of purpose for me as well. It felt good living with purpose and intention.

Pinay Odyssey said...

Beautiful review of the previous year! We are lucky to live at this age when it's easy to capture moments using technology. I'm glad you enjoyed 2015, and I wish you more wonderful experiences this 2016! Cheers!

Rochkirstin Santos said...

It's great to live your life with purpose. Many people have not yet realized the true meaning of living life and what goals to set their eyes on. This year has been so fun for you especially with travels! :D

Sunshine Kelly said...

Looks like you have many good times in 2015. Let toast for a better and blessed 2016.

Elizabeth O. said...

I love what you said about purpose. That's definitely one of the things that can keep you moving. Thanks for that awesome reminder. I would love to look at this year with a sense of purpose.

Sin Yee said...

Thanks for sharing your story in 2015. I saw a lot of bloggers actually shared theirs. Hmmm... Look like I should follow this trend too. It is also a way of appreciate ourselves.

Franc said...

I like that you mentioned your your is purposeful. Actually, I'm quite envious since the word I get to relate my year is busy. I guess, everything do happen for a reason and has a purpose.

Fred Hawson said...

When I read your blog, it does not seem like you are the type who can "bitch out" (as you say). You seem so calm and patient. It must have been such a terrible event which would make you do so.

Bhushavali N said...

That's a beautiful way of wrapping up a year! That sunset beach wedding looks fabulous! Wishing you to have an equal or better year ahead!!!

Erica Villas said...

Wow, it looks like you had a great year. I think we all look forward to a new year wishing for a fresh start, when in reality, we can just continue the awesome adventure we're already having and aim for a better one. Wishing you an even more fun filled 2016 ahead!

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

Hi Russ, thanks for sharing your insta-moments. Although we've never met, through this exchange, somehow, I felt as if I have a penpal, and knowing about her days, months and years on the other side of the world. Hope that we will one day meet!

ana de jesus said...

What a lovely post, you had a wonderful year and will always remember 2015 as the year that meant something to you x

Shari said...

Yeah to 2015 - But here is 2016 and it is going to rock!

Amber Knox said...

What a great end of the year post. It looks like you had a good year even despite it's ups and downs. I hope this new year brings an even better year and experiences.

Kerri said...

Looks like 2015 seemed to be an amazing year for you. It is so important to reflect and see your accomplishments.

Michelle Mink said...

what a great year in pictures! and wishing you a great 2-16 where you can push past even more limits

Ryan Escat said...

It seems that you had an awesome year. Thanks for sharing your insta moments.

mail4rosey said...

If not now, when? is a great concept in so many cases. :) This was a greatly filled post!

MyTeenGuide said...

With a purpose. Yeah, it should always be like that. You had an amazing year and I wish the same for you this 2016.

Liz Mays said...

Oh wow, you really did do some fun things last year. I hope 2016 will be equally rewarding. PS. You're adorable!

Victoria Heckstall said...

You had an amazing year. thanks for sharing your insta-moments

Marielle Altenor said...

Love looking back on the previous years. 2015 was a eventful year for me and my family. Lots of amazing things that I'm grateful for. Wishing 2016 will be amazing for you!

Eat Sleep Blog Repeat said...

What great insta-snaps! It looks like you had a great year. Wishing you all the best for 2016 :)

Ivan Jose said...

What a great year you had. A purposeful life is a well-lived life. A sense of purpose keeps us going, no matter how heavy the burden may be. The first quarter of 2016 is over but I hope you'd have a great year ahead, one that is full of successes and happiness.

Sarah-Louise Bailey said...

Wow what a fantastic year it looks like 2015 was for you - you did so much! I do hope that 2016 is shaping up to be just as much fun? x

Heather Jones said...

Its hard to me selfless, but it teaches us so much and I actually believe if we can learn to be happy being selfless, we will be happier over all. I like that you found purpose in 2015! :)

Eloise Maoudj-Riley said...

Life can get hard at times, but it's the great opportunities and happy times that ease our troubles... always remember the good times and do what you love (your passion, your purpose!) I hope this years brings you good things, more opportunities and love from others.

Amanda Love said...

Sounds like you had a very eventful 2015. I found that I was a lot more selfless in 2015 but I was also taken advantaged of because of it. This year I'm a lot more selfish.

Ckrusch said...

Thank you for sharing your story and memories! Loved looking at your pictures!

Christy Garrett said...

It looks like you had a great year. I think 2015 was a huge success for me as well.

CourtneyLynne said...

Awwww 2015 looked like it was a good one for you!!! So hoping 2016 is everything you want it to be!

Bonnie Gowen said...

Thanks for sharing your 2015. Sounds like you did a lot.

Kerri said...

2015 looks like it was a great year for you. Here's to 2016 being an awesome one too!

Saranghae Korea said...

One word: Adventure!!!
You seem to have a very adventurous year 2015 and I love to have that kind of trips and experiences. I like your photos, I can just look at it and know the story you want to share with us.

Cathy McInnes said...

Looks like a lot of great memories and moments together!

Ivan Jose said...

Hello, Russ. Indeed, a life with a purpose is a life well-lived. We should go through our day knowing what our purpose is. This will give us direction and the will to achieve what we set out to do.

ROBERT LEE said...

Behind the public persona of fun and laughter, there is always something else privately. All of us are the same. So yes, life is all ups and downs. But when we say downs, is it really down or imagined? Here, emotion and how well we manage our emotion is the key to less negativity and more positivity.

LOVE LIFE!

Alison said...

This was beautiful. I love how you take an accounting of what this last year has meant to you. It is always good to reflect back to where you were and where you are now.

Ketchup Moms said...

Well I am hoping that you travel to India, and we catch-up. Also wishing that 2016 is even more fulfilling for you

Roselle Carlos-Toledo said...

You've got an eventful 2015! It's great to always be grateful for all the opportunities life has presented us with and to always look forward positively for the next year.

Himanshi Lydia Singh said...

Great to know that you had a good 2015. With me it was just opposite. but i am praying i will have agreat 2016. working hard on t already

Missy Castro said...

I think you have a great attitude. Nobody’s life is perfect. The happiest people are not necessarily the ones who are the richest or the most good looking, but those who know how to count their blessings and have a positive perspective in life. While striving for your goals, one must always remain grateful of what you have. Life is full of ups and downs, but we just have to learn to be happy with what we have, and not wait for it to be perfect. If you think your life is perfect, then it is , and that’s the most important thing – perspective, and seeing the glass half full.

Joanna said...

It looks like you had a year full of friends surrounding you, which is great! I wish you this year to be even better, with lots of dear people around you and lots of trips involved too.

Riley McCoy said...

Beautiful share! Onto the next brilliant and magic year!

Karen said...

Your 2015 is indeed full of LOVE and PURPOSE. You have great memories to reminisce and share. Looking forward to your 2016 ender.

Prairie Gal Cookin' said...

Looks like you had a very full and fun year - Thanks for sharing!!

Adrianas Best Recipes said...

Family and those we love always occupy a special place in our lives but spending time with them is invaluable.

debdenny said...

What awesome memories. Really great pictures to remember your year!

Bismah Abdelgawad said...

Looking back at the previous year is a great way to reflect back on the positive and negative events we experienced. It is an opportunity to make changes and improvements within ourselves for the following years to come.