23 December, 2015

These bad guys rock. 2015 Series Edition. \m/

I have always loved villains over the good guys — but only in the books I read and in the series that I watch. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'd know that I have this fascination for bad guys. While they're mean, constantly being a pain in the ass, scheming, sometimes disturbed, and always with a hidden agenda, the conflict that villains bring make stories more engaging and more memorable.

Fact: A villain can make or break a story.
The success of any superstar hero in will always lie in how wicked and in the awesomeness of the bad guys they fight. They this equation out and you have a plain story and a boring hero. If you'd recall, I did a round-up of my fabulous five series bad guys. It was an interesting batch comprised of humans, non-humans, the King of Hell, and the smartest female villains. If you want to meet 'em, they're here.

Today, I bring you batch #2 of my fabulous five series of conflict-makers. I have been watching a lot of series lately and I've come to love several new bad characters. They're twisted, fierce, and are mentally strong. They're irritating and are all awesome at being bad.

Louis Litt Louis Litt, Suits 
"At this firm, we instruct, we advise, we order, we must, but we do not 'shall." [ 05.03 ]

Louis Litt is a constant nuisance in Suits. He is one of the lawyers in the series and is also one of the senior partners who will eventually become a name partner ... how he got there, that's something you need to see. I find Louis Litt a very complex being. It's easy to not like him because he's selfish and very competitive but what makes viewers like him is his excellent knowledge of the law. He is also cultured and is intelligent, which he loves to brag about. I gotta give it to Rick Hoffman for playing the character of Louis Litt pretty well.
Rumpelstiltskin, Once Upon a Time Rumpelstiltskin / Mr. Gold, Once Upon a Time 
"Love is the most powerful magic. The cure must be extreme" — Rumplestiltskin to Snow White [ 01.10 ]

Rumpelstiltskin is not one of the more popular fairy tale characters. The producers though of Once Upon a Time were a lot of twists with Rumpelstiltskin also known as Gold in Storybrooke. They've made Rumpelstiltskin creepy and manipulative in the series but as the story progresses, viewers would come to know about his past life and his heartaches. The appeal of Rumpelstiltskin, played by Robert Carlyle, is how he is able to outwit the evil queen.
Queen Catherine de Medici, Reign Catherine de Medici, Reign 
"The first lesson I ever learned was never wait for a man’s rescue." [ 01.07 ]

Queen Catherine, is the mother of the Dauphin of France in Reign. For those who aren't familiar with the series, Reign is a historical-fan-fiction inspired by the life of Mary Queen of Scots. In the series, Canadian actress Megan Follows plays the role of French queen mother and just like any mom, she is overly protective of her children and of the crown, too. Despite this, I've grown to like her because she is an intelligent & strong woman ( love her gowns too! ) and as the series progresses, people will see that behind her fierceness is a lady with a soft heart.
Oswald Cobblepot Oswald Cobblepot, Gotham 
"What drives you? What's your passion? When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him." [ 01.07 ]

Oswald Cobblepot aka the Future Penguin appeared to be pathetic at first in the series ( and you guys should watch it ), Gotham. In the first episodes, he was shown to be a weakling but in succeeding episodes, he becomes this conniving and manipulative disgusting person. Robin Taylor does a stellar job at being the iconic Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot that even if his character is irritating, despicable, and infuriating, for me, he is one of the best 2015 series super-villains.
Ramsay Bolton Ramsay Bolton, Game of Thrones 
"An apology doesn't mean anything if you're not looking the person in the eye." [ 05.06 ]

Ramsay Bolton's character was so-so until the fourth & fifth seasons of Game of Thrones. To use the word bad to describe him is an understatement. Unlike other villains, I think this guy does not have any bit of charm. If you feel otherwise, I'd love to hear your thoughts. He is ruthless and loathsome, but is one of the most effective GOT characters. I may have to look up Iwan Rheon's name in Google each time, but I'd say he definitely made Ramsay Bolton one of the most memorable characters in this series.

Without these darling villains, heroes in our favorite series will be boring — because these bad guys always make the plot more interesting + they make the world's favorite bidas more heroic. To have the perfect bida, you need to have a lovable contrabida.



Who are your TV series villains that you can't help but love?
☮ Peace + ❥ Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


50 comments:

Mia Foo said...

wow, i'm not familiar with any of the characters you've listed! didn't catch any of those dramas/movies. but i do agree the villain role can totally make or break the show.

Sunshine Kelly said...

Oswald Cobblepot in Gotham is one of the best vallians in 2015. It make me hate him when i watched that series just because he carry the character to well.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

I also love the role of villains in any movie because they bring out a lot of character and add twists to the plot. In fact, if given the chance to act in a movie or play, I'd want to be the anti-hero. :P

Maerose JS said...

This is a wonderful blog post, strange but I loved it! Your fascination with villains is interesting in itself. I love the quotes you picked!

Elizabeth O. said...

Well, who wouldn't love to hate Louis Litt! He is amazing, brings life to the show, definitely. Ramsay Bolton is definitely tough to beat, scary and psychotic. I wouldn't want to meet someone similar in real life, LOL.

Franc said...

I think villains of today are not just villain, they have backstories like Cobblepot and Mr. Gold. They have more substance and not just defined by good or bad but motivated by a certain event or emotion.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I won't say you are wrong, but there are times when the villian make things so negative that I can't help but just want to stop watching them!

Bhushavali N said...

Ramsay Bolton is indeed a villain with a Panache.
Very recently I watched a Tamil Movie titled Thani Orvan.
If possible watch it. I'm sure you'll get one with English subtitle.
The villain is so awesome in it, that he stays in the mind more than the hero at the end of the movie.
The makes the hero, a hero!!!

Sin Yee said...

Sometimes bad guys said something so true and meaningful. Haha.. Thanks for summing up the bad guys' says~

Karina Ramos said...

Without these villains, the story won't be as interesting. I love Louis Litt, he brings a lot of interesting stories to the show. I can say the same for Catherine of Reign.

Karina Ramos said...

I love Louis Litt, he makes Suits so much more interesting. I also like Catherine of Reign, guess without these characters, the story plots will be boring.

Erica Villas said...

Ramsay is insane! The actor played him really well. I loved him in Misfits too.

Fred Hawson said...

You are correct. The success of a TV series or films depends on the villain. Remember Selena or Madame Claudia? Ramsay Bolton is so slimy and hateful. I like Tywin Lannister and his elegant ruthlessness, too bad he's gone.

Masshole Mommy said...

Suits is on my list of shows to start once my list dwindles down a little. It sounds awesome.

Claudette P. Esterine said...

I recently started watching Gotham and truly enjoy it.

Michelle Mink said...

i am not familiar with any of the villains mentioned as i have never watched any of those shows. i have heard of the shows before. I can relate though because I know Harry Potter would not be what it is without Voldemort

Mom Knows Best said...

I never heard of any of these guys. Some are very creepy looking.

ana de jesus said...

My favourite villain of all time is the Joker I can't wait to see what Jared Leto brings to the role.

Liz Mays said...

Yes, keep them in our shows and books! But keep them out of my life! lol

JOJO VITO said...

hahaha not so familiar with the story...but yes, bad guys makes the story interesting as well :)

ConciergeLibrarian said...

I cannot stand men who are too prissy either...they must have a little edge to them...LOL

pushkal pandey said...

I am just familiar with Louis litt! No matter how much you hate his character but he make suits even more interesting!

Cheryl f said...

These bad guys usually do the twist. I'm not familiar with all of these bad guys though.

Sylvia Julie Kalungi said...

I honestly am showing my ignorance but Am not familiar with these actors. I need to get out more lol....

Dhemz said...

what a list! Rumpelstiltskin is definitely my favorite!!!

Marielle Altenor said...

A good villains does make the story more interesting! I love Rumplestilskin and Ramsay Bolton! Rasmsay is just pure evil omg lol But I loved him in Misfits!

Angie Church said...

I do not watch villain movies all to often and must say that I do not cheer for the villain

The Mommy-Files said...

It's interesting how many times in a movie or television series that the villain is the main character. Definitely makes the story more intense!

Jonathan Key said...

I'd love to check out Gotham or Game of Thrones this year. What a great post! Happy New Year

Tanisha Gomez said...

I totally agree, I think villains are an integral part of any story. I do like Rumplestiltskin, he makes you feel bad for him for a while but then you go back to hating him for what he's putting everyone through.

ROBERT LEE said...

I don't watch all others except Gotham (in your list) and Oswald is one of the best characters in Gotham... let me think through... I think he plays his character BETTER than anyone else. Future Penguin is ... you sometimes just gets confused if he is the villain or the good guy... Dang!

Berlin Maynigo said...

Not familiar with the names and characters as our television is always tuned in at nickelodeon or discovery But I agree that villains are necessary to make the story interesting. Sometimes when I watch movies, I tend to love the villain that the heroine:)

Alison said...

I love these villains. Louis Litt - I always try to hate him but I never can because he keeps worming his way back in. I feel like Rumpelstiltskin does that too! I want to hate him but then I always end up interested in what he is doing!

Rachel Mouton said...

Something about a villain that is intriguing. There's this part of us that identifies with them and can understand why they do the things they do. A female villain is even more intriguing!

jenjen said...

Villains are needed to spice up the story :)

Darlene M said...

I definitely agree. Villains are what makes the story more exciting. Nobody lives in Utopia anyway even in fiction. hehe. Of all the villains you listed, I must say that Ramsay Bolton definitely scares me the most. He's affinity for torture is really terrifying.

Patrice M Foster said...

I don't watch or familiar with these characters but I love the villains at times who create action and turn it around for the better in the end.

Julie Syl Kalungi said...

They are all great villains. Without a villain, a movie is boring. They are the ones who make the story exciting.

Joanna said...

I don't like Louis Litt at all, haha. He is so selfish and vicious. It's interesting though how the screenwriters have added small moments on which you see that he is a human being after all, and he can have feelings. And then I feel sorry for him.

Ms KathyKenny said...

I can't believe you did not include Niklaus from The Originals. HE is the ultimate villain that you can't help but love.

Nina Sogue said...

I super love Louis Litt! He's funny yet "maangas" at the same time. He also has amazing quotes, which usually cracks me up. Villains truly add color to the story.

Six Time Mommy TEST said...

I adore Louis Litt. He's seriously one of my faves, as is suits. i love the Villains they truly make some of these shows! - Jeanine

Marge Gavan said...

I love Louis Litt! This guy is weird, he is one ruthless, entitled son of a b but he is one of the best lawyers in the firm. Also, inside he is a softie. I like that even when he becomes nice, the show manages to make him annoying in some episodes. I like him like that. Definitely one of the best love-him hate-him characters on TV.

Klaudias Corner said...

Great post , I love the quotes you have chosen ! Especially Catherine de Medicis's ! Enjoyed this post big time !

Arrianne Guzman said...

Villains do give life to stories! And how I love Suits!!! Admittedly, Louis Litt annoys and makes me laugh both at the same time. "But we do not shall!" - I can so imagine him delivering this line, haha!

mail4rosey said...

Sometimes it really is the bad guy that makes the movie. You have some good ones here.

ASKSonnie said...

I'm familiar w/ Louis Litt and Oswald Cobblepot. But between the two, I would prefer Louis bec. what he represents is a reality in the corporate environment.

Dominic Barrios said...

Okay, I know the 4 guy villains you mentioned but I didnt know Catherine De Medici. I havent really watched Reign yet so I'm not sure about that story. Meanwhile, I do love Suits and Louis Litt's Character. I hate him especially when he does stupid things and when he really wants to be an antagonist. But overall, I just love his character. He is funny!

Dawn GT said...

oh man ramsay is such a nut. i mean they way he killed his little brother and everything else is super crazy. cathrine is something else too. i love reign.

Natasha Mairs said...

I only know 2 of these villains. But I do love a really good villain. My favourite I think is the Joker from Batman