09 February, 2016

Food Trip: Home-Cooked Steamboat in KL

I love to eat out, but I tell you ... there's nothing like home-cooked meals. Growing up in the South and being part of a conventional family, my Mother's home-cooked meals were something I always looked forward to. I still do up to today.Ü My friends' moms and their elder sisters also cooked a lot. I would always be invited to their homes and I genuinely enjoyed all those wonderful times spent over impromptu lunch or weekend dinners. We did that a lot when we were in high school, college, and a bit when my barkada and I were bumming around by choice.

Since we all started working, it became more difficult to gather everyone that's why when I was in Malaysia last year, I was soooo happy when P told me that our friend, Eugene, has asked me to free up one evening for him.

Family-style eating. D.I.Y. cooking that reminded me a lot about Shabu-Shabu. A huge pot of boiling soup with a variety of the freshest ingredients PLUS you get to choose the noodles that you want. This was a feast. And, this was also my first-ever Steamboat experience — it is one of the things that I will always remember KL for. I have Eugene to thank for that because it did make our KL trip more memorable.

Steamboat

Our friend, Eugene, just moved to his new flat some time during CNY of last year and our trip's timing couldn't have been better because he was having a housewarming party. Eugene is a darling. He offered to drive us around town a few times and was nice enough to invite us to his home. He said that he was gonna have steamboat. At that time, I really had no idea about what he was talking about. He must've noticed that I had a baffled look on my face so he explained what was going to happen: we're cooking.

Uh-oh, I knew I was going to be in trouble. I'm not a cooking person ( never was and never am ), but I do love great food. I like to take photos of my food and I fancy writing about my gastro-advetures in my blog. Heyyy, I am being honest here.Ü Without telling him, P knew that I was getting stressed and to calm me, he said that it was going to be like Hot Pot. Still! I really am not the cooking type because I'm impatient. It gets quite hot in the kitchen and I sweat fast. Unlike others, I don't like to work for my food.Ö I just like to enjoy mine. But since we were not in Manila, I couldn't use my 'I don't like to work for my food' card. Lol.





My Steamboat Strategy
I knew there was going to be several batches because Eugene had so many guests that night. His future in-laws were there, his friends, and Kayee's ( Eugene's fiancée ) friends too. I had to make sure that I'd be part of either the second or third batch of guests who'd dine, but I did watch how the first set of guests did their bowls and all. P and Euguene will probably laugh at me if they read this.

We toured Eugene's flat first and played NBA before we ate. By the time that we were back at the dining table, most of the guests were done eating and were either chilling out or playing. I stopped worrying and I was able to enjoy the feast that Eugene and Kayee ( meet our hosts, see photo below ▼ ) prepared for us. My strategy worked :)


We miss you @dhang1506 and Eisa + Tyrone & Yayang. This calls for a reunion! #russgirltravels

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on



Dinner tonight :) #russgirltravels #steamboat #vscomalaysia #vscotravel #foodtrip

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on



The Ingredients
I see why Steamboat is pretty popular in Malaysia and in other South-East Asian countries. While it requires a lot of ingredients ( but guests can bring something to add, perfect for pot luck ), it's really easy-to-prepare. Aside from that, it makes an awesome conversation starter. It lightens the mood and it makes people sit longer on the dining table, encouraging happy discussions whilst waiting for the food to be cooked.

Lastly, it's healthy. The broth was clear, home-brewed, and not oily. Eugene is Chinese and his MIL, who helped prepare the Steamboat, is also Chinese so there weren't much meat in the ingredients. The Vienna Sausage was the only meat-ish ingredient that I saw. There were a lot of seafood. I remember having dory, red snapper, a fish that I don't know what it's called, lobster balls, prawns, mussels, clams, bamboo clams, squid, crab sticks, seafood dumpling, crab cake, and cuttlefish.

And if you're a veggie person, there's a variety of vegetables that you can have. Some of the veggie choices that I remember from that night were shiitake mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, taro, cabbage, bean sprouts, bok choy, carrots, broccoli, spring onions, cauliflower, kelp, oyster mushrooms, etc.

A Steamboat ain't complete without a bit of carbs, so this has to have some noodles. Mind you, it's a mortal sin to cut the noodles. In the Chinese culture, noodles symbolize longevity and they're a huge part of birthdays and Chinese New Year celebrations. Our choices that evening were udon, soba, and vermicelli noodles.




Steamboat is a good meal to share with family and friends. Cooking, even if it stressed me out at first, was fun and I totally dig the experience. What makes it more enjoyable is that you don't have to do everything alone — cooking together, if you ask me, is a key ingredient in steamboat get-togethers. Lastly, it's Russ-friendly because it requires you to have a leisurely slow meal with great company. Now all you'll need to do is to bring out the wine.Ü

Have you ever tried steamboat?
☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Happy Travel Vibes. RUSS.


50 comments:

Amanda Love said...

I've never had a steamboat before but I'm sure it must be pretty good. Congrats to your friend Eugene moving into his new place and I'm sure you guys will have lots of fun there.

Katie Maris said...

How cool! The steamboat looks delicious. It's really cool that you can customize it for your group's likes. It's also neat that you all worked on it together.

Claire Cly said...

The food looks delicious, you definitely can't leave out the noodles - yummy!

Catherine Sargent said...

The steamboat sounds yummy. I would love to make steamboat with friends on our next girls day.

LifeAsAConvert said...

I have never had it before. You make me want to try it though. I agree that one important part is the cooking together.

Eugenia said...

I love home-cooked meal too! I haven’t try Steamboat before, but your recipe is so inspiring! Thank you for sharing!

ana de jesus said...

I have never tried steamboat but it sounds like a fun idea!

Mama to 5 said...

I have never heard of the Steamboat dish before. Sounds like it packed with healthy vegetables!

Frugal Qponer said...

Looks like some really amazing food, and a great place to visit!

Eileen said...

This Steamboat looks like the Japanese Hot Pot (shabu shabu). I love enjoying hot pot too. It keeps everyone together at the table, making of great conversations and happy tummies.

Liz Mays said...

I'd be into the veggie portion of the dish. It's really an interesting meal. I'm so glad you mentioned steamboat today.

Rika Agustini said...

I love steamboat and can't wait to travel to ASIA... I love asian foods

Victoria Heckstall said...

I never heard about this and it looks really interesting to me.

Aziel Morte said...

This is the first time that i heard this

Elizabeth O. said...

That's perfect for a dinner out with family or close friends. I love the idea of cooking together!

Teresa Bowen said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening. All food tastes better when eaten with friends and family.

Kelsey Apley said...

Never heard of a steamboat before!!!! But I live in a small town in Kansas!

Six Time Mommy TEST said...

The steamboat sounds just delicious. I hadn't heard of it before, But sounds like something worth trying! - Jeanine

Heather Jones said...

Looks like a great time together and a time to exeperience some culinary treats. I'm not kean on muscles, but I'll try most things twice.

MyTeenGuide said...

I love hot pot! This one looks loaded. I bet it's super tasty.

Liz Mays said...

There is so much goodness inside that. Everyone will find something they'll like!

Bismah Abdelgawad said...

I have never heard of the steamboat dish before. All the food looks so delicious and hearty.

Jessica Harlow said...

I think this looks like an interesting dish and one I'd like to try. I agree with you, a truly amazing meal can be created when family and friends create it and enjoy it together!

Betsy @ Happily Ever After, Etc. said...

I've never heard of a Steamboat before... it looks delicious!

Colette S said...

That sure does look delicious.
It is good to spend time with good people and good food.

Ckrusch said...

It's a great idea! I wish we had something like that around here!!!

jared's mum said...

looks like a very interesting place to dine in when in KL. your dining companion makes it an even more awesome experience

Hannah Adkins said...

This seems awesome and totally different. I'd totally be down. It looks like you had an awesome time! So much better with friends

April Decheine said...

Oh wow, this would be such a great place to visit! I love having fun meals with family and friends!

Martin Valenzuela said...

This is definitely worth trying. Perfect #squadgoals food option!

Rebecca Swenor said...

This food looks delicious and it seems Steamboat is the way to go. I love cooking for a group of people even if I get stressed a little bit. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Amber Knox said...

Wow I have never heard of Steamboat before. This sounds like a wonderful family meal.

PJ Zafra said...

Food sure looks amazing! Very mouth watering. I bet it was amazing. Thank you for sharing this experience. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

Claire Marie Algarme said...

When I go back to KL for another visit, I might try this one. It looks and sounds interesting.

May De Jesus-Palacpac said...

Oh it's like hotpot! I so love the concept and will google on how I can prep one likethis!

Katrina Centeno said...

Oh no! I did not know about not cutting the noodles. I always cut my noodles before cooking ( well, lucky me pansit canton lang naman.) But still. Thanks for mentioning that.

Mommy Roxi said...

That's a lovely pot of yummy goodness! I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks!

Franc said...

You can really play around with the ingredients of this one. They also looks tasty and offers a lot of alternative.

Mums Babies said...

I love eating steamboat and usually spicy. It is perfect to eat on a cold day and you will relish every bit of it.

Sunshine Kelly said...

We love to have steamboat during CNY. Its easy to prepare and cook. The most important are the soup base and the freshness of the ingredients.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

Steamboat is indeed very popular in Malaysia and Singapore. Because we can to eat and pick what we want and eat it any time! We do that for CNY every year!

Arisa Chow said...

Love the way you make steamboat sound like you are going for war haha! Such strategy is needed in order to please the guests.

Shubhada Bhide said...

I love having steamboat. It is a food affair to be enjoyed slowly and leisurely..the ingredients taste heavenly. Thanks for sharing.

Fred Erick said...

I am planning to visit Malaysia this year and I am going to look for steamboat. It looks delicious! I really love South East Asian foods.

Bhushavali said...

Omg! I didn't know that noodles denote longevity of life!! Wow... I'll keep that in mind..

Fred Hawson said...

I am not really sure what a Steamboat exactly is. I have not seen or tasted it yet and I am very curious as to how this kind of cooking tastes like.

yvonnembertoldo said...

That looks really yummy and I can't wait to give it a try soon. :) Never heard of a Steamboat before :p

Raine Pal said...

A must try steamboat(hot pot)meal. This kind of a meal is easy, healthy and a great way to get guests in on the action. Hmmm...you give me an idea what to prepare on my next dinner party getaway with my close girl friend. Thanks.

Ayesha Heart said...

It's a great bonding when you eat with the fam <3
Asian dishes are love.

This is totally different! Awesome :)

RUSS said...

Raine
It did remind me of Hot Pot. I was thinking of Death Cab's song when I saw how Steamboat and Hot Pot are similar in a lot of ways - "different names for the same things".

Fred
Tastes good. I made mine spicy.