23 September, 2016

Laksa Love. #SingaporeInvites #VisitSingapore

No trip to Singapore would be complete without a nice, warm bowl of Laksa. This spicy noodle-soup dish traces its roots from both Malay and Chinese cultures, but is very popular in the Lion City. I have been to SG a couple of times but oddly, I have not had the chance to enjoy authentic Laksa until last February's trip — sending lots of love to everyone from the Singapore Tourism Board ( STB ) for taking three of my closest friends and I to a memorable and truly filling ( burp! ) trip.

A first and more firsts
My last visit to Singapore comprised of a lot of firsts which I'll be sharing in a series of #SingaporeInvites posts. I joined a photo contest sponsored by STB last year and I was one of the Lucky 25 winners who won a trip to SG. This was the first time that I stayed in the Eastern side of Singapore at Joo Chiat / Katong. Being Singapore's first heritage town, Joo Chiat is an interesting area to explore. It has its distinct vibe that both locals and tourists love. I have obviously overlooked this part in my previous trips, but I am glad to have had the chance to experience Katong and its rustic charm a couple of months ago. There aren't skyscrapers around. There's not much vehicles, too — at least that's what I recall. What you'll see are these beautiful, Instagram-worthy preserved Peranakan shop houses that line the streets and a lot of small yet interesting food places to go to. It is in Joo Chiat that I had my first-ever spicy and steaming bowl of Peranakan Laksa.

Laksa Love

I'm no Laksa expert, but one thing I'm sure of is that Laksa may not be for everyone. In my family and in my circle of friends, there are a few of us who enjoy this flavorful, super spicy, creamy coconut-based aromatic soup-noodle dish. Most people I know shun spicy food, the same way that they do not like anything coconut-based. However, if you like gastro-adventures and dig that burning feeling on your taste buds, you're definitely in for a treat with a hearty bowl of Laksa.

Our STB Singapore Invites tour guide, Wai Keong took us to the best Laksa place in Joo Chiat, 328 Katong Laksa. Wai Keong shared with us that 328 Katong Laksa is THE go-to restaurant for authentic Peranakan Laksa. Not only that, the guys here beat master chef Gordon Ramsay several years back for SingTel's Hawker Heroes. This certainly made 328 Katong Laksa a huge hit. It got foodies curious. Tourists would go out of their way to try their Laksa. I got to talk to this French dude and he admitted that he almost got lost going to Katong district taking the subway and the bus so he opted to go to Joo Chiat using Grab. After devouring his bowl of this popular Peranakan dish, he said it was so worth the extra bucks he had to shell out for the ride. Aside from this, its history makes this dish more interesting.
"The descendants of these Chinese traders were called the Peranakans, and the tradition of Laksa was born out of the Peranakan desire to marry Chinese food with existing Southeast Asian flavors like coconut milk, and those brought over by South Asian traders, like chilis. Often, the desire to marry cuisines resulted from literal marriages between Peranakans and locals. In Indonesia, for example, the origin story of Laksa traces back to the Chinese coastal settlements. Chinese sailors set out to find local wives, and these women began incorporating chili peppers and coconut milk into Chinese noodle soup." [ Read more: How inter-marriage created one of the most delicious food ]





If you get the chance to travel to Singapore in one of your future trips, don't forget to visit the Joo Chiat / Katong district for an authentic bowl of Peranakan Laksa. Want the best Laksa? You know where to go.  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


The SingaporeInvites Series
» Lucky 25. #VisitSingapore #SingaporeInvites
» The build up of anticipation


65 comments:

Hannah Green said...

I would love to be able to try this, but it would have to be with rice noodles and I guess that isn't quite the same. Some of the flavours sounds great definitely more varied that some of us dare to try in the UK. Looks yummy, glad you enjoyed your trip x

Franc said...

I would love the Laksa as it has a rich taste. It would also be good one to soothe the taste buds and warm the tummy.

Fred Hawson said...

I know Laksa, but I am not really too fond of this. I have tried it but it is too spicy for me. I am sure it tastes very good for a lot of people.

RainbowDiaries Singapore said...

Singapore is a heaven for foodies. Such a small country but it packs a big punch.

Elizabeth O. said...

Congratulations on winning that trip to Singapore! I'm sure it's amazing and it's always one of the best places to visit. I'm glad you like laksa too, it's a really good dish! There's nothing like a hot bowl of spicy, flavorful laksa! So comforting.

Bhushavali N said...

Laksa looks interesting. We have a similar dish in Southern India called Kuruma.. I love that..

Kylie wenn said...

I love laksa.. I'd like to hv a food trip like this... Following your track.. :)

The Graceful Mist said...

I generally don`t like spicy food too. However, I really like coconut and almost anything coconut-based. I would probably want to try this if it`s not spicy,

Sunshine Kelly said...

Wow! Thats great I wish to try that laksa on my next trip to singapore.

Rachel Mouton said...

The food looks amazing. I would love to visit Singapore one day and try some of their unique flavors.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Mm, I would enjoy the food. It looks good.

Sandra Shaffer said...

I love all coconut based dishes so I bet I would love this soup! I'm always interested in trying new dishes. Thanks for introducing me to Laksa.

Marga Puno said...

This looks yummy!

Jessica Cassidy said...

It looks delish and it has soup. I hope I will like it. I have not been to Singapore but only Japan.

Ave T said...

I haven't tried Laksa before, but it looks delicious! I really like different soup-noodle dishes, so I think I might like Laksa too.

Jennifer Johnson said...

This sounds amazing!!! I have never had dishes like this, I may need to try finding this near me.

Krystel Seijo said...

This looks kind of good! Wonder if I could find it near me

CourtneyLynne said...

Oooooooo I would love to visit Singapore one day! Definitely on my travel bucket list!

laborders2000 said...

THis sounds like an interesting dish. I would love to try it one day.

Zwitsy said...

Right after I saw the title, I knew then that it sounds like spicy food! lo, I wasn't wrong after all. It sounds familiar and I am just not sure where did I hear it. Chinese, Korean, and Japanese foods are very much common in Cebu. So most probably, I have heard it there somewhere.

Paula Schuck said...

That looks delicious. I've never had this dish before, but I'd love to try it!

Pam said...

This sounds like a dish that my daughter would love. She loves anything spicy and is a big fan of coconut.

Brandy Tanner said...

This looks very interesting, I would try it for sure! Yummy!

Liz Mays said...

It's awesome that you were able to try Laksa at this renowned restaurant. I think I'd like this dish!

Stephen Parry said...

Never had a laksa before? I have been to Singapore and tried the sling but I may have to return to give this a try as it looks delicious!

Rebecca Swenor said...

This sounds like you had a fantastic time in Singapore. The Laksa is something I have never tried but it sounds and looks delicious. Thanks for sharing your amazing experience.

Eena said...

Here in the Philippines we use that too and we love it so much, adds more flavour to our food.

Dina Demarest said...

I'd love to travel to singapore. My goal is to start travelling when I'm 50.

Six Time Mommy TEST said...

That looks interesting. I'm not one to try new dishes but that does look pretty good! Could be interesting flavour. - Jeanine

Garf said...

That looks so good. I am Asian so I think I will love this dish.

Hil'Lesha O'Nan said...

I have never heard of this dish before, but it looks so delectable! Something like this would be a big hit with my family.

WEMAKE7 said...

This looks really good. I've never had anything like it before but would love to try it.

Michele D said...

I've never tried it but it looks so good. The flavours sounds delish!

Rika Agustini said...

I've been to Singapore.. Love the foods and culture, a fun city to visit!

Fiona said...

I've never had this but I'd love to give it a try. I love spicy food and it's great to taste national dishes when you travel.

Terri Beavers said...

Traveling to different places in the world and trying new foods sounds wonderful. And a lot of them would be new to me. Singapore is actually on my top 5 places to visit, list.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I have never had laksa before but my husband told me about it and he said it's really delicious! This makes me hungry!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Ooo this food looks really good! I love to eat.

Jennifer Hamra said...

I am not familiar with this dish, but it looks like a food worth trying. My husband would love this, for sure! He loves trying new food dishes.

Jennifer Johnson said...

I have never heard of this dish before!! What a fun trip, I would love to travel to Singapore looks beautiful.

Andrea said...

Yum! This looks delicious!

Stephanie Pass said...

My husband would just be in heaven trying this! He loves this kind of thing.

Channel Marie PH said...

Ever since I went to Singapore, I've been looking for a decent resto in our place who can make a decent laksa! Glad I've found one! I really love laksa!

Annemarie LeBlanc said...

I have friends living and working in Singapore and they have told me so much about this food, Laksa. I am raring to try an authentic bowl! Thanks for letting me know. Maybe next year, my tour to Asia would come into fruition.

Marga Puno said...

Never tried a singaporean food but this looks so yum!

JOJO VITO said...

I love this Laksa Noodle soup... I find it a bit spicy and the coconut can be an acquired taste..but for me it is a must try :)

Anosa Malanga said...

Laksa Noodle soup looks absolutely I want to try some foods from Singapore now

Fatima Zehra said...

I have always wanted to go to Singapore and the fact that it has such amazing food like the Laksa Noodle soup you mentioned wants me to go visit the wonderful country!!!

Julie Maloney said...

I like spicy foods but I can't handle them. I end up drinking a gallon of water and I make myself so full I get sick.

kittynecessity said...

I love Asian dishes and Laksa is definitely one of them. There's just something about a warm hearty savory soup that hits the spot! Glad you enjoyed yours. :)

KatrinaJeanCarter.wordpress.com

Hylaandpeterechols.com said...

I've never seen a soup like this! If I liked spicy I'd be making the recipe! we love soups in our house!

Olivia Mesquita said...

Coconut anything is great with me! Looks delicious!

Crystal Gard said...

This dish looks and then sounds like it would be very enjoyable.

Tiffany said...

I've never had Laska, but it sounds so good. I love coconut and spicy food.

Imaobong said...

I have heard such amazing things about Singapore from a lot of people, and that soup looks really good too!

Hey Sharonoox said...

Singapore Laksa is the same as Penangnites called it Curry Mee (Coconut noodle soup). Love to try more Singapore food the next time I visit. Lovely post!

Laura Robinson said...

I'm not a fan of Laksa, but I do like Asian noodle soups. We eat them quite often.

Enricoh Alfonzo Naidu said...

havent heard of laksa but ooooooh it sounds delicious! i would love to visit singapore i have a few friends there

jillconyers said...

My whole family enjoys trying new foods especially if it's international cuisine.

Dawn McAlexander said...

I have never heard of laska before. It looks tasty. I would be willing to try it.

Claudette P. Esterine said...

I would love to visit and try every possible dish! :)

Xoneia Tayag said...

With the rain once again coming in, it would be nice to have a bowl of Laksa right about now! I really love this, it's packed with flavors and it's spicy if you want it to be!

Tam @ TravellingBookJunkie said...

I have never tried it but the fact that you mention that it is super spicy means that I probably will not enjoy it too much although I am sure my husband would be a fan.

MaBelleVie Lifestyle Blog said...

Wow this sounds amazing. Singapore is such a beautiful place and the people there are so pleasant

Fatima Torres said...

I'm all about a little spicy food in my life! I'd love to try this myself.