09 December, 2014

On mediocrity and comfort zones

The past 9 months went from crazy to crazier and it doesn't stop there. Things were not entirely a walk in the park because had they been like that I wouldn't be writing this. I had days when I just felt like hibernating to get away from it all, but the thought that this is a happy problem kept me going. Changes, situations that I cannot control moved me out of my comfort zone and in the process, it paved way for something very important to me.

One's comfort zone is probably not the most appropriate place to be because it doesn't give room for growth. In anything, adventure begins at the end of our comfort zones. When this huge change happened before March, I knew that the path that I was compelled to take will not be easy, but this was an opportunity that I willingly embraced because I'm certain that this is an investment for the future. I'm sure as hell it's for my own good. And for the entire team as well :)


Image Credit: @abbeysy


 I want my team to shine. 
For this to happen, the first step was to set standards. There was resistance at the beginning, which is a common reaction when there's change. Some may have had difficulty adjusting but it's because they lacked the willingness and an open mind to face change head on. I hate things that are done half-baked and it is important for me to get rid ( or kill ) mediocrity. I get so irritated when I hear someone say, "Puede na yan!" This kind of lousy attitude, if tolerated becomes a culture that breeds averageness. Good enough is never acceptable and and average should never be a norm.

It frustrates me when one or two people stand out in a not-so-good-way and it affects everyone else in the team. I know there is no such thing as perfect, but it isn't a crime to want your team to be the best right? Standards define order that even if your boss isn't there to tell you what to do, you will know what to do. This fosters discipline, builds confidence, encourages independence, and promotes excellence. I don't like mediocrity — it will never do. To not be mediocre means to get out of your comfort zone and to see the challenges that go with as opportunities that should be embraced. Often, people don't bother to see it this way for convenience and because of stuff that they have gotten used to. I feel bad for people I know who have always been stuck in the same place, whether by choice or not.



I know it's going to be a lot of work, but I always hope to inspire more people, especially those who are close to me. I wish to inspire people even in the smallest things that I do. I wish to inspire others to overcome fear of doing baby steps, to not be afraid to make big leaps to do something that was never done before, to break free from their comfort zones, to replace negative thoughts with positive ones, and most of all, to see that life is too short to be in the same place forever.  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.

40 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

This is so true - that comfort zone is where mediocre happens. Nothing great ever comes from not doing the things that are a bit uncomfortable. Great perspective - and the bit of a 'kick' that I needed as things get a bit crazy over here.

Masshole Mommy said...

I definitely don't like mediocrity, either, but sometimes - depending on the situation - I settle, which in a way is the same thing.

Samantha Angell said...

Like you said- the first step is to set standards. Then you can live up to them!

Angelic Sinova said...

I don't like mediocrity either. As I've gotten older, I've learn that to truly succeed and live life, you MUST joinery outside your comfort zone <3

Shari and Cathy said...

very interesting theory. mediocrity is never acceptable.

Laura O in AK said...

Set high standards and aiming for the stars is a great way to approach things. Sadly, I see way too many people looking to do the bare minimum.

Echo A said...

It is awesome that you want to inspire people. Mediocrity is not the way to go. Be bold, be different.

CourtneyLynne said...

I'm a very positive person as well!!! Life is so much better when you find the positive in situations

Mrs. Mashed Up said...

You definitely have step out of your comfort zone if you want to grow. Some people just want to stay with what they know is successful--but that leaves no room for improvement.

Soiree Design Studio said...

Hustle harder is my mantra! Love that and the design is so pretty

Miranda Myrabev said...

Stepping out of ones comfort zone is always hard but you are right there is no room for growth there and setting standards is very important for growth.

May De Jesus-Palacpac said...

I agree, convenience, or the feeling of convenience, can be deceitful. A lot of people do not budge (and yet continue to whine) bec they don't want to get their hands dirty. I hate that. I hate mediocrity.

Pabin Raj Luitel said...

You are right, i feel the same. When I see all the difficulties and problems in the society I want to get out of that. I want to inspire people to do such a things which could make a society better place to live with happiness.

msvirgogrl said...

Hustle... my word of 2015! God did not make me to sit on the sidelines and just do the bare minimum. I wasn't meant to live a mediocre life.

Jeni G said...

Love the pic- Hustle Harder!Yeah! Very inspiring article Russ, I got curious on what you started on with a team. Anyway, Kalikotpepot wishes you all the best! xoxo

Gillian Ong said...

true! some people wanna stay in their comfort zone, but when they work as a team ; it shouldn't be like that . everyone should be stronger

Alissa said...

Being an introvert where I function well on my own, sometimes you do need to step up and get along with others as a team. Sometimes it do you good.

Mia Foo said...

never liked mediocrity, especially in career. being challenged everyday keeps me motivated!

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

Hohoho... I was just in the EXACT same situation as you. I put in a lot of effort into a particular project, only to know that the good ones are not given enough recognition and the lousy ones are being used. I can't say much, but I totally understand your frustration!

Louise Banta said...

I, too, don't settle for anything that is just "okay". I always aim high and I always tell that to my group mates in school. We have to aim high because if we settle for less, we will never know how great things we could achieve.

Khushboo Motihar said...

Loved your post. I believe in giving my best possible shot without bothering about the results. But I have learned that if you give your best, you definitely get the best :)

eLaNaKcL said...

It's so true that it's kinda hard to move out of comfort zone. Still we must strive for the best.

Eri Votsari said...

I enjoyed reading this post so much !!! Comfort zone for me is something that we need to overcome it.. sometimes we hide ourselves in the concept of comfort zone.. we dont try new things!

Fred Hawson said...

Even if you are in your comfort zone, that does not mean you have to relax your standards and be mediocre. You could be in your comfort zone and still excel in what you do. Comfort is no excuse for mediocre work.

Julianne Caparos said...

It's true, being stuck with what you're used to won't allow you to grow and as no matter how difficult change is, it really helps us move two steps forward and make something positive in our life. :)

Vanessa said...

I read somewhere that once a day we need to do one thing that scares us. Thus we conquer our fears. This will get us out of our comfort zone and challenge us to seek and explore new opportunities. A wonderful post to think about!

Ellie Swinton said...

This is such a lovely post. Very thought-provoking and well written :) x

Franc said...

Yes, the adventure begins after our comfort zones. We'll never get anywhere if we stay where we are and don't dare to try new destinations.

Angelo The Explorer said...

I like what you said about adventure starts at the end of your comfort zone because at themoment that is what im feeling. I am in an adventure that I don't have any idea whether things will turn out good or not. But I love taking the risk and most of the time, taking a risk could lead to success!

Joanna Sormunen said...

Beautiful card! Right now I miss comfort zone. It's been crazy busy and I am a bit of perfectionist so I haven't had time to sleep or rest in who knows how long. But I know it'll get easier after Christmas.

Kylie wenn said...

Hope your team will shine as you wish! Good luck!~

Suzanne said...

It is definitely hard to break the mold of one's comfort zone, but speaking from experience I can honestly say it is so worth it..

Yuh Jiun said...

This is so true! Much agree with your saying. People should be stronger!

Eliz Obih-Frank said...

I agree with you that mediocrity can pull a team down and create friction. It's always best to nip it in the bud.

Radhika parcha said...

Hi Russ ,i agree with you and Yes, the adventure begins after our comfort zones.. even so many people dont know secret of success and struggle for things in real life ,i think as we move on we will get what we want
Thanks and all the best

Hylaandpeterechols.com said...

I'm with you on the team thing. If one person slacks off the rest of the team suffers. Push encourage and push again together as a team and you can only get stronger.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I try to always get out of my comfort zone once in a while. I'm usually always glad I did.

Savagesevenblog said...

Staying inside my comfort zone held me back from so much. I have started to step outside of it more. Recently blogging has helped me with that. I am proud to say that I am enjoying being on the outside of my comfort zone now. - breyona sharpnack

Jimmy & Tina Durham said...

nice post. I get it, I often struggle with half ass jobs myself, now I pretty much work alone and like it better than working in teams anyway, that way i'm in charge and know things are getting done the way I want them to and what I think is the correct way :)

Carol Cassara said...

You are absolutely right, there's no progress if you're always in your comfort zone. It would be awesome to challenge yourself and make way for changes ---good changes at least. I love your determination. It's good to strive for perfection and excellence. That's what makes successful people.