05 May, 2015

Side Trip: Brrr Baguio

View from Moldex Residences Baguio

4 months after a late Baguio trip for work last year, I was back at the City of Pines during the month of hearts. It was also for work and it was loads of fun. Baguio-based colleagues gave us a heads up that it was going to be very cold. We were asked to bring thicker clothes and I was told to ditch my skirts & shorts. I normally whine about frightful cold weather news because it's not Russ-friendly ( blame it on the thyroid! ).

However, with this one, I was more excited than worried. I willingly packed my stuff for this and came prepared. I brought with me a fleece blanket and my OOTDs were composed of shawls, hoodies, long-sleeved tops, and socks for sleeping! It was just too bad that P had to do some work that weekend and couldn't come with us. As thrilled as I already was, I'm sure that he would have been more exited because this was his kind of weather.Ü
[ Read More: Baguio in a Jiffy ]




Baguio in February is glorious.
It was foggy. It was very cold AND most importantly, it was sunny! And, this was the first time that I've experienced Baguio for what it has always been known for:  cool, cold hot chocolate or a glass of red wine & bed weather . Even if it were freezing, the beach bum in me loved it.


Fog Love at Sitio La Presa
Sitio La Presa, we're almost there.


One of the highlights of this trip is how we spent our Saturday lunch break: we had an attempt to go to the top-most part of La Presa. Almost everyone in the Philippines knows what and where La Presa is — everyone but me. La Presa is a place in Tuba, Benguet that's been made popular by a local TV series. It's now become a popular spot and while tourists are lured to La Presa because of its gorgeous views, local folks have started to charge a 25-peso per head entrance fee. We weren't able to make it all the way to the top because there were so many cars and too many people that the vibe was almost similar to stressful Manila traffic.

Notice how I am in pants, lol. I'm laughing because when I was in Baguio in June 2011, my OOTDs were mostly shorts. I'm guessing that the temperature was something like 18° during noon. On our way up, we didn't bother with the AC and traveled with our windows down. My colleagues and I enjoyed the cool breeze that we don't usually experience in Manila. And, since it was not out-of-way, one of my colleagues requested that we have a stopover at the Lion's Head along Kennon Road. Apparently, the last time he was here was 20 years ago! There was no way that any of us could have said no to that request.Ü


Lion's Head at Kennon Road
This was a mandatory photo at one of Northern Luzon's most popular landmarks, the Lion's Head at Kennon Road.


Caught by the paparazzo during site inspection.


My colleagues and I at 5,000 feet above sea level + 6 floors high.

My candid shot and the group photo were all during work. The topping out activity that we did that weekend was something that I looked forward to. It was my first out-of-town topping out event and it was one of the first milestones that we're doing for this year. Topping offs are usually challenging, but equally fulfilling once you get to the top-most part of the building.


I don't mind living in the mountains.
My younger 20-something year old self will never say that, but going out with P has made me appreciate things other than the beach ... for instance, the mountains. I now understand why he has this fascination for it. I now see why my colleague, Vicky, longs to go back to Baguio each time she leaves. As for me, after working on this mid-rise condominium project of our company for quite some time now, I am happy to share that I have come to love the mountains even more.


Actual view from our project in Baguio — and I don't mind being greeted by this view every day


So now, I am torn. I am torn between a beach house and a mountain home. When I started working, my original plan was to retire and live by the beach. But after exploring a lot of new places and in the process, seeing a lot of well, mountains, I kind of want to have a mountain home, too. Lol.




Seeing the pictures from last February makes me want to have a cold-weather getaway. Lol, I can't believe I'd say that but I think cold weather isn't so bad. Geez, it's been scorching hot in Manila these past weeks and I can't help but miss Baguio. To be able to escape this heat even for a short while is heaven!

Where you do you want to retire? Do you want to live by the beach or be greeted by gorgeous mountain vistas all year-round?
☮..Peace + _Love + Spreading Some Travel Vibes. RUSS.

75 comments:

Fernando Lachica said...

Nice of you to travel with friends and explore places. Enjoy life to the fullest and discover more beautiful places nationwide.

Kylie wenn said...

Not really sure where this place is.. even with the popular landmarks..

Your job looks interesting and cool!

Suzanne said...

What a gorgeous place to live or just to vacation. Those mountains are amazing and I can see why you are torn on where to retire - the beach or mountains. That is the great thing about retirement though, you can do both!

Evelina Anya said...

The scenery looks pretty! Never been there before but I guess it's a must visit spot? :) love your post

Jason P. said...

This made me miss going to Baguio so much! Especially with the intense heat now! :)

Danessa Foo said...

Like yourself, I am also torn between a beach house or one with a mountain view for retirement. The sad thing is, I can't have either if I continue to stay in Singapore... so my husband plans for us to retire someplace else. Thank you for the lovely pictures posted in your blog post... Loving them!

Sef Tiburcio said...

I have heard of La Presa because of Forevermore, but then, I have not visited it yet. Also, the fogs will be good for OOTD so yes, I will visit Baguio one of these days.

Gil Camporazo said...

Though I know what is Baguio and where it is. But I am no so familiar with some tourist attraction out there. You're talking about Sitio La Presa, popularized by a local TV series. And the poeple getting stranded in visiting such place because of heavy traffic.

Elizabeth O. said...

Well, that makes us two. I've only been to Baguio once and never heard of La Presa. I'd love to come back, climb all the way up to the top and enjoy the view. I enjoyed looking at your photos.

Anne V said...

The last time I went to Baguio was in 2011 with my mom and daughter, I love the weather there. We have the same issues, we (my husband and I) are also torn between having a beach house or a house in the mountains where it's cold. He's from Cebu and loves the beach, I don't haha. The cold weather in Baguio suits me well, hopefully we finally find the answer haha.

Sin Yee said...

This place sounds nice. Hope to visit there one day~

Fred Hawson said...

Yes! I have also been in Baguio in February and I would say that is the best month to visit the City of Pines. Very cold and fresh. Once we were there in December, it was actually warm.

lee rosales said...

I was in baguio around feb 2012 during panagbenga and i told myself im not going back in baguio during the festival. Its so crowded and going back to manila is hell.heavy traffic

papaleng said...

Hope to see Baguio again. The last time I was there is 2012. Perhaps, we could spent summer vacation there this year.

Shayn Summer said...

It's summer now, perhaps the climate there is just ordinary but when it's December - February it's the coldest. La Presa became famous due to Forevermore. I am watching that TV series sometimes. Is the traffic caused by tourists? or it's something normal there? I want to go to that place too.

I've been in Baguio a lot but we travel in different route that's why I never saw the Lion's Head.

Sunshine Kelly said...

I have been to Baguio once, few years ago. Like the cool and the scenic place. Its great to relax and some go there for golf.

Sumi Go said...

It's been so long since the last time I went to Baguio! I usually visit from July to Sept and have yet to experience the summer capital on a February. Anyhow, I've always wanted to live in Baguio. :D But, a beach house doesn't sound bad too!

OY HZ said...

Gorgeous place.. I really need to plan a trip to phillipines one day :) So many bloggers are shareing the beautiful cities and beaches of phillipines!

theresa said...

I was at Baguio last week but I didn't enjoyed my stay because I am on work mode then. I hope I can visit the place with only pure tour and vacation.

Ling Tan said...

Are you in engineering / construction? Can't help noticing the white helmets :) Lovely place!

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I haven't never been to Baguio and I guess it is not somewhere so touristy that people will go. I like the peace, and will most probably want to go with my future boyfriend.

Cebuana Mom said...

Love the climate in Baguio. The locals are also very tourist-friendly.

Raquel said...

It’s always nice to see Baguio, even in pictures only. The picturesque view is really one to behold. I wish to go back there in the future.

Debarpan said...

Wow...this one is indeed a great place to live in holidays.Such a wonderful place.

Michelle said...

I never heard about La Presa,but this seems a great place from your review article here.

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

Baguio is always a good place to relax or anything to do with leisure - I kind of miss going back there.

Franc said...

Baguio is my hometown. It will always be home but I kinda like missing it sometime as it makes each visit there special.

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

I think I would prefer the cold mountains over a beach house, it really gets too hot in our country!!

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

We were in Baguio last January and it was freezing! We are planning to go back later this year.

TweenselMom said...

You are lucky to be able to go to Baguio this summer time! We love to go there!

Masshole Mommy said...

Living in Boston, I saw the ugly side of cold weather this past winter. We had 4 feet of snow, so I am ok with a little heat for now :)

April Mims said...

Looks like a beautiful place to visit. I haven't heard of it before now but it looks amazing.

Alli Smith said...

Beautiful photos! I don't like cold weather, but I would have to put that aside in order to visit that beautiful place.

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle said...

Wow. It's so beautiful there! I love how the mountains just climb up into the clouds. Gorgeous!

Melissa Pezza said...

I'd love to visit Baguio. I love the landscape, and the clouds surrounding the mountain are just so cool.

Amanda Simkin said...

Wow, that Lion's head is beautiful yet terrifying all at once. Makes for great photos, though!

Amanda
www.queenofthelandoftwigsnberries.com

John Lopez said...

Baguio looks really beautiful, I know Philippines is the one of most beautiful destination place.

CourtneyLynne said...

Omg Baguio sounds like a pretty fabulous place! Unfortunately with all my world travels I have yet to visit! Hopefully one day :)

Kisa Johnson said...

The view is absolutely amazing! I love the lions head picture, of course. :) I'll have to add Baguio to my places to visit list!

touristmeetstraveler said...

That lion head is massive, I have never been to Baguio. It looks like a beautiful place, I would love to visit myself!

Cara (@StylishGeek) said...

Baguio is one of my favorite cities. How I wish, however, that they left the Lion's head along instead of painting over it. It was more remarkable when it was just a carved stone.

Jeanine said...

Wow what a beautiful place to go! I haven't heard of Baguio before.. This looks like a great place to visit. So many beautiful photos!

Kristen said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! I would love to visit sometime!

Melissa Carter said...

This looks like such a beautiful place! I hope I can make it there someday. My list of places to travel to is slowly growing out of hand.

Autumn Blues Reviews said...

What lovely photos. Would love to visit there someday. Maybe when my hubby retires and we have more time.

lovemindanao said...

i celebrate my new year's day in Baguio every year. But i am saddened that this place is getting crowded and spoiled . Sad i love this place.

Chubskulit Rose said...

That's my husband's dream place to retire maybe because of the weather and the amazing views! YOU LOOK GORGEOUS!

Raymond Vasquez said...

I am planning to go to SAGADA! And now, I am having second thoughts, whether to just stayin Baguio or really pursue SAGADA. have you been there? I've been to baguio couple of times, and I just can't get enough of it all the time. :-)

Ann B said...

What an amazing place you are in. I would love to travel and see that part of the world. I am loving this series of posts.

Louise Banta said...

I grew up in an island so I would choose to live by the beach when I retire (still a long way to go). Hehe.

Baguio is such a beautiful place to visit. Unfortunately, we haven't been here. My dad's too afraid to travel through the roads that are almost always reported to have vehicular accidents. Haha. Paranoid much.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

Thanks for sharing this place. Hope you can share more places of interest in future!

lee rosales said...

Sitio la presa is making its name because of the tv series forevermore, right? However the place is starting to have lots a trash because of the tourist that everday go there

Katrina Centeno said...

Oh, I did not know La Presa until my aunt pointed that it is from a teleserye and I did not even believe that it is a real place until I saw that my cousin visited the place. hehe I want to go back to Baguio!

Fernando Lachica said...

Baguio City is a dream-place to live and retire. Really, living near the beach than in the mountainous place is different. The choice is yours.

Fully Housewifed said...

I so understand what you mean! But I've found a place works both ways. I actually blogged about it - Camaya Sands. You live in the hill, and go to the beach 5 minutes away. :)

Shaney Vijendranath said...

Looks like a lovely place to visit, I think I need to add it to my list of travels. Thanks for sharing.

Tanya Coffman said...

Thanks for sharing your trip ~ I can relate with always wanting a beach house...but I too ended up with a home in the mountains :D Good luck making that decision :)

Kelly Hutchinson said...

The photo you took of Sitio La Presa is absolutely breathtaking. I am glad you were able to have fun on a work related trip. That is always a bonus!

Sunshine Kelly said...

Baguio is a cool and scenic place, I have been there once and I like the golf courses and hotel there. Good place to relax.

Jason P. said...

Would love to come back to Baguio! Especially with this crazy hot weather in Manila, it's just insane! :D

papaleng said...

For me Baguio is just a great vacation place but to retire there for good is another thing.

mail4rosey said...

How fun that you stopped at the Lion Head. I'd have said yes to that one too. :)

Kylie wenn said...

Never heard nor been to this place! But sounds like it's quite nice!

Raijean said...

Ok, so I've never heard of this place before. You have definitely sparked my interest. Must check it out.

Lynndee said...

I've never been to Baquio. I hope I get to visit it someday with the hubs. I would love for him to see our "little America" there. ;)

Pooja Kawatra said...

Baguio I recently read about somewhere and looks beautiful but not heart about La presa. Wish I will travel to this part of the earth soon.

Melanie said...

I've not been to Baguio but it sure looks lovely. Lucky you to combine work with pleasure. Sounds like you had a great time.

Amanda Love said...

That Lions Head photo is amazing. I've never been to this part of the world before but it's totally on my bucket list of places to see.

DOGVILLS said...

What a stunning place to visit. I agree cold weather cannot be so bad sometimes. I wish it did not stay longer though

Krystal Butherus said...

I've never seen mountains like this before. What a great trip and memory!

Marjorie Pineda-Uy said...

Missing Baguio. I was there about three weeks ago and got cough & colds because I was wearing sleeveless & shorts most of the time, lol!I've been to Baguio a couple of times but never had a chance to take a photo with the Lion Head. :)

Gabriel Bregg said...

I'd love to visit the Philippines, I fell in love with it from the pictures of a squad mate of mine in the Army who was from there. These pictures are amazing.

Jennifer Pilgrim said...

I'm with you. I think a cold weather vacation can be nice. Ask me during the middle of summer in this scorching Texas heat and I will definitely agree then.

Jessica said...

What a beautiful place! I am envious that you get to travel for work to such a grand place. That lion sculpture and the view are amazing!

mykidsguide said...

My 20 something year old self wouldn't also say that, but now that I'm older, I wouldn't really mind. I can live in the mountains, the farm or even near the beach.