21 June, 2014

Planning my next adventure: Ho Chi Minh, VN

I am excited! I've set my mind that I will be in Ho Chi Minh some time October or November of this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my VLs will be approved. Initially, I was planning a Vietnam-Cambodia itinerary. As tempting as it is, I changed my mind. I can only be away for a few days, baka mabitin lang ako. I don't want to be on the hit list at work, lol. Besides, going back to serious work mode after a vacation can be really challenging. Agree?

No one likes to go to VN with me, but I'm going anyways :)
My friends prefer to go to a different country because they feel that VN is a lot like PH ( to which I don't agree with and I hope no one gets mad ) while P has reservations about this trip. I told P a few weeks ago that my Ho Chi Minh worksheet is already finished and he was like, "What the??" So, best AND worst case scenario(s), I'm going to Ho Chi Minh, VN alone.Ü Am I scared? Hello no. I don't see any reason to feel that way.

I've been spending a lot of time in TripAdvisor, exchanging messages with other travelers, and learning so much about this beautiful country. There's not much horror stories and matter of fact, #7 of Top Reasons Why Vietnam Should Be Your Next Destination says, "Vietnam is now one of the safest countries in the world. There are no fears for long term strikes, protests, terrorism, guerilla attacks, bombings, kidnaps or killings that affect your holiday."



Vietnam's floating markets stand out for me. I've come across few here in the Philippines. Well, that's if you'll consider the few vendors who'd sell you water and fresh coconut when in Boracay whilst island hopping a floating market, then that's the closest experience I must have had. Vietnam's floating market is an experience that I will definitely not miss. • Image Source: www.mekong-delta.org



If I want Pho here in PH, the only restaurant that I can go to is Pho Hoa. I don't like the other fancy pho restaurants. My Mom and I used to go to this house in Greenheights that's owned by a Filipino who married this very nice Vietnamese lady. This is where I first had a taste of Vietnam. The wife cooked these delicious VN dishes that I couldn't find in any of the Vietnamese restaurants here. Sadly, their business has been closed for years now because they migrated to the US. I can't wait to try authentic Vietnamese food. I'm sure it will be one of the most awesome gastro-adventures I'll have. • Image Source: The City Lane



Those of you who have been visiting blog know that I have this fascination for anything colonial and Vietnam seems to be just the right place for me. France ruled over Vietnam in the mid-1800s and a lot of the buildings in Ho Chi Minh have much of this period ingrained in them. A friend of mine who's based in VN now tells me that I should get ready to take a lot of photos. • Image Source: The Road To Anywhere



They say you can't leave Vietnam without watching a water puppet show because this is an age-old tradition that the Vietnamese do to ward off spirits so they don't do anything mischievous. This is definitely in my list of things to do when I go to VN. • Image Source: Peter Pham



BBC said that Vietnam is now the second largest exporter ( and producer ) of coffee in the world. Interestingly, while doing my research, I learned it was the French who brought coffee to Vietnam in the 1800s. The coffee-lover in me did a somersault when I read this and boy do I look forward to my mornings in Vietnam. • Image Source: www.thefoodpot.wordpress.com



And these are my top 5 reasons why I want to fly to Vietnam. Whether my friends or P goes with me or if I end up doing this alone, I know that I will have a blast. I lost count of the times that I've been putting this off because someone didn't want me to do it ( not good, I know ) and now that I have all the freedom and time in the world, I see it happening super soon.

See you in October, Vietnam! ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


25 comments:

Michael said...

Be very careful and pay sharp attention to what is happening the region between your country,Vietnam and China....have a back up plan in case you need to leave fast. Otherwise,have fun!

Russ R. said...

Michael, I haven't considered that when I started to plan this trip. Thank you for the reminder. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing bad happens in the future.

Passive Glory said...

The photos looks amusing and it makes me want to go to these places. Good luck on your journey :)

Emilee said...

I love the floating market! What a neat experience! Also, the coffee.... I'd like to world travel just for coffee!

bxcrochet said...

Sounds like it is going to be an amazing trip. I would love to experience those floating markets.

Michelle F.

Kimberly said...

I don't know what a VL is. Is that some sort of visa to travel?
I'd love to go there. I find it so fascinating to be able to learn and enjoy different cultures. I'm in Canada and have only been to America and Mexico.

John Lopez said...

Such beautiful photos, maybe one day I will visit these place.

Russ R. said...

Emilee, I'd also travel around the world for coffee. Teehee!

Sweepster said...

What a wonderful exotic destination. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Annemarie Leblanc said...

What a great place to go on your next adventure, the food looks delicious!

Embracing The Good Life said...

This sounds like a great trip with all the info you've collected! I had no idea they were a major exporter of coffee. I hope you go and take lots of pictures!

Becka M said...

I love the pictures. There looks like so much to see.

Hilary @ The RNY Life said...

I love the floating market and I'd definitely have to watch the water puppet show. That looks neat.

Tonya Lewis said...

Good Luck! It's my understanding this is a very dangerous region

Maria Constanza Oller said...

The floating market is so unique I would love the experience and I loveeee Pho, it's delicious can only dream about how good it must be back there

Sandy Sandler said...

I definitely think you should go! I love your reasons and the photos! I had no clue that Vietnam is now the second largest exporter ( and producer ) of coffee! Very cool!

Jade Schwartz said...

My Vietnamese friend told me that Vietnam is a very clean country. I love coffee and If I ever visited the country I will definitely try their coffee.

Leira Pagaspas said...

My friend who lives in Vietnam told me about great places in Vietnam where I can get a nice yummy bowl of Pho.

Rubbie Anne Abad said...

wow the place looks so good! want to go there if given a chance! so perfect

Mama to 5 said...

sounds amazing! The fresh food looks yummy! Enjoy!

Melissa Menes said...

Russ, we totally fell in love with HCM! I expected it to be like the Philippines, but it's TOTALLY different! So safe! (They said don't hang your cameras lang on the side of the street, because motorcycle snatchers can grab it.) Otherwise, we walked around freely anytime of the night without any worries -- not like here in the Philippines. It was also SO CLEAN and full of history.

I can't explain it but it's one of the countries we would love to return to. Please visit the Cu Ci Tunnels, they have an awesome shooting range with old school American weapons.

Have fun!!

Melissa Menes said...

Russ, we totally fell in love with HCM! I expected it to be like the Philippines, but it's TOTALLY different! So safe! (They said don't hang your cameras lang on the side of the street, because motorcycle snatchers can grab it.) Otherwise, we walked around freely anytime of the night without any worries -- not like here in the Philippines. It was also SO CLEAN and full of history.

I can't explain it but it's one of the countries we would love to return to. Please visit the Cu Ci Tunnels, they have an awesome shooting range with old school American weapons.

Have fun!!

Joanna Sormunen said...

I would love to visit Vietnam also. I think it's perfectly logical to want to go there. And I would love to see and try all of these things you listed, also. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do it!

NPC said...

This looks amazing, I'd love to visit one day. So much culture!

Krystal Butherus said...

Those photos are beautiful. I'd love to travel here!