15 July, 2014

Getting out of the rut called Blogger's Block


This whole blogging thing is really a lot of work. Agree? And, it gets a little bad on some days. You're in the mood to write, but your box of inspiration is empty. Next thing you know, you're staring at your screen and your stuck in this annoying time-sucking moment. Anyone who owns a blog and writes knows what it's like.

I've had my share of a days when I end up empty-handed, but it wasn't because I had nothing to write about. If you ever find me not posting, either I'm out on a trip or there's a lot of offline stuff that's making me extremely busy. The few times that I find myself not writing about anything interesting is when I'm frazzled. However, the best part is there are ways to snap out of the drama of blogger's block. Here are five things that have always proven helpful to me whenever inspiration doesn't strike:


Take a walk and you'll be amazed at writing spark you'll get from things you'll see.


1) Go out for a walk. Or a quick run. Or drive.
I like to walk. I choose to go somewhere that does not remind me of work. Going out for a walk makes me think so much about happy times, things that I have to accomplish, and places that I have yet to see. I get a chance to clear my mind and I'm usually surprised with how you take in the extra details of my surrounding. Then, I return home, sit in front of my laptop, and I'm back in my groove.

2) Don't stress.
Whatever it is, try not to be too hard on yourself. If you find yourself stuck in the dreaded blogger's block, take a break & do #1. If it's something that you've been at for a while, although completely optional, go for #3.


Traveling, whether local or to another country, inspires writing.


3) Get on a place or ask your friends to go on a roadtrip with you.
While this may not be for everyone ( and I'm sure not all will agree with me), this is my favorite blogger's block blocker because I am frustrated travel mag writer. Next to spending time with my Mom, I am happiest when I'm out exploring a place I have never been to or re-discovering a destination that I've fallen in love with. Unlike others, I enjoy writing most when on cloud nine and feeling all sunny.

4) Find some alone time.
Reflect. Solve a problem. Write half-sentences. Read. Get a massage. Play some music. Meditate. Read. Take a break. Fix yourself something to eat. Play a game of Ruzzle, Scrabble, Battle Camp, or Ruzzle Adventure. Read. Enjoy a nice warm cup of coffee or a glass of red wine. Call a friend that you haven't talked to in a long time. Write anything. Relax. Just do whatever it is that soothes your soul. You'll be glad you did.


Always take nice and interesting photos for your posts.


5) Look back.
I seek motivation from old photos, my mini-reminders that are all saved in my blog folder and are waiting to be seen by me—again & shared on this blog. Ask P and he'll tell you how much photos I take each time we're out ( thank God, he doesn't complain ) from my phone, iPad, and digital camera.Ü I love how these snapshots give me energy and a lot of enthusiasm to write. Told you guys, I'm really a frustrated travel mag writer.

I hope these make you want to go out, write, take photos, write, and write some more.Ü And, when everything else fails, just ask yourself this question: Why do you blog? Know what that purpose is and you should be able to find something meaningful to share to your readers in no time. ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


30 comments:

bxcrochet said...

Those are some great pictures. Everyone looks like they are having so much fun.

Michelle F.

Franc said...

Our creative juices also needs time to recharge so a good walk or run, a vacation or something just to shake things up can really help us rejuvenate.

Franc said...

Our creative juices also needs time to recharge so a good walk or run, a vacation or something just to shake things up can really help us rejuvenate.

Franc said...

Our creative juices also needs time to recharge so a good walk or run, a vacation or something just to shake things up can really help us rejuvenate.

Samantha Angell said...

Definitely agree with a lot of these. It also helps me to keep a little notepad (or ongoing list) of blogging ideas, for whenever I am really stuck!

Kung Phoo said...

I think blogging is extremely hard to do on a daily basis.. we have a team here and we bounce ideas off each other to get the idea for the blog.. It is certainly not easy.

hautefrugalista.com said...

I agree with you! Those are great tips and I have deff used a few myself!
xo,
Dee Trillo
http://HauteFrugalista.com
@HauteFrugalista

Maria Long said...

I need my kids to get out of the house so I can write:) But great advice for the rest of the year.

Risa Bledsoe said...

Great tips! It has helped me to join a blogger's challenge this July. The host presents topics or general things to blog about. It helps get the creative juices flowing!

Chrissy Mazzocchi said...

It looks like a beautiful place to be, great pics!

Bonnie Gowen said...

Great list! I actually have so much to do and write about I never get time to get to it all. I do however, get stuck when I'm working on posts and can't seem to get out what I need to say.

Liz Mays said...

When I'm not feeling it, I just go ahead and walk away. Just living life creates fodder for the blog, right?

MyDomesticDish said...

Thank you for the tips! The "done't stress" one is definitely good! lol

Stopping by to leave some comment love from the Dish.
Alysia x
www.mydomesticdish.com

Michele D said...

Awesome pictures!
I know how it is to have writers block as well. Looks like everyone was having fun too in the pictures.

JaimeLovesStuff said...

These are great tips. I've been in a bit of a blogging rut the last two weeks and have been working so hard, I think I am burning out! LOL. Oh well... a break is good, too!

Texstar said...

Hi Russ,

You have some great tips. I find that when I get to the point I'm burned out, it's good to just walk away.

However, I only write once a week personally and I spend the rest of my marketing and promoting.

I enjoyed your post.
~ Don Purdum

Kimberly said...

Oh the dreaded writers block. It's like trying to squeeze juice out of a dried up orange.
I find too that if you step back and just be a apart of life, you'll find inspiration there.
These are great tips that I'll have to remember when I get stuck too.

Victoria said...

These are some great tips. I am all too familiar with writers block.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

For me, the best way is to read articles online and see some pictures that spark my interest. Yup, going out once in a while also helps.

Brijdeep Kaur said...

all these ideas are great and would work for a lot of people; but for me it's the opposite.. you would not believe how many posts I've saved in drafts and I could not complete them, I'm still trying to find time.. there is so much on my mind and so little time..

Rebecca Swenor said...

Great tips for bloggers or even though who write. Thanks for sharing.

Mama to 5 said...

I get writer's block too, I think all bloggers do, looks like a nice break and you had a nice time!

Patricia Woolverton said...

Those are some great tips on how to clear your mind. I think we all get writers block and need ideas how to overcome it.

Patranila Jefferson said...

It's tough to stay focused, motivated and on schedule as a blogger, that's for sure. Good tips!

Natalie Summers said...

I don't have time to get writters block, I have a ton of reviews to finish, I still need to post my vacation blog post, haha.. but these are great tips

Ashley Nicholas said...

Going through old photos helps me the most! Great post, I'll have to try your ideas!

Alyssa Collazo said...

I'm loving these pictures! Looks like everyone had so much fun

MaryJane Tauyan said...

great tips! i am always busy with my blog! i blog atleast 2-3x a week and i have lots of things to blog. haven't experienced this bloggers block yet thank you for the tips i can follow

Rachael Yerkes said...

Bloggers block is the worst. Thanks for the fun read.

Kath Rivera said...

I agree with this kind of block. I also have this so called bad blogger day where I want to write but it seems something's wrong with my mind. Thanks for the tips :)