09 July, 2014

Battle Plan: Discover Yoga

Last week, I did Yoga for the first time. And, I totally loved it!
I kind of hate to say this, but my stress level was at an all-time high for a couple of days. When I'm like this, I know that I'm not that efficient when I do my workouts. I feel blah, physically and emotionally. The happy news is, I'm itching to break some sweat. I remembered an old friend who used used to bug me a lot to try Yoga. He had this phase when he was reading about blood-type diets and workouts and I was told that Yoga is perfect for my blood type (B+). And in general, it has a lot of health benefits. I lost count of the times I rejected all the Yoga offer. I never believed this dude until last Wednesday.

With my stress level pathetically out of control, I was grumpy, didn't have any appetite, and worse I was having back pains for more than three days already. It didn't help that I had to clean up after other people's boo-boos at work. While resting after work last Wednesday, I opened my iPad to check if my Skimble app had anything Yoga for me. Lucky me, there were several Yoga workouts to choose from and picked those that didn't seem too complicated. Skimble's  Yoga Legs with a Twist ,  Solstice Wind Down , and  Lower Body Booster  were all newbie-friendly.


"Stress is useful sometimes, but feeling stressed out all the time is definitely not healthy. Yoga has been known
to reduce stress and anxiety as it helps to regulate breathing and promotes relaxation. It calms the mind and can decrease levels of cortisol (stress hormone) in the body."
• Image from The Apple Diaries


I wasn't expecting to see results immediately, but I did. I didn't have trouble sleeping that night and woke up with a lot of extra energy the following morning. I was pumped up and felt well-rested.Ü While it was still stressful at work the following day because I still needed to troubleshoot the slip-up that a colleague did, that entire day was tolerable. Because of this and in preparation for my big event that week, I did Yoga for two straight nights. I also noticed that the lower back pain that I was complaining about for an entire week was gone. Turns out Yoga is good for me.

Stress doesn't feel like stress. This is an easier way to deal with all the toxicity and it did help squash down the negative stuff, talk about a super stress-buster. It must be all the feel-good ( including the hard-to-do ) stretches that brought this relaxation and calmness that I have not felt in a while.

Yoga makes me sleep like a baby. I've always had trouble sleeping, so this was more than welcome. So far, it's helped me wind down for a super good night's sleep on a weekday. I don't usually enjoy this. I woke up the following morning in a very cheery mood and was like that for the rest of the day. How awesome is that?

I think it helped fight my food cravings. Whenever I'm stressed and anxious, I either have zero appetite or I give in to my food cravings. This time, I noticed how I skipped the unnecessary sweets and I didn't even need a can of Coke Light to keep me up after lunch.



I have yet to learn so many things about Yoga and at the same time, I have yet to experience & discover all the mental, physical, and mental benefits from regularly practicing Yoga. And now that I know how good Yoga is, I promised myself that I will incorporate this in my routine. ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


The Battle Plan Series
» No excuses.
» Slowly, but surely


45 comments:

Mrs. Mashed Up said...

I love Yoga! It is such a good work out! U sued to do it more often… I really should start back!

Franc said...

Yoga is also good for endurance athletes as it improves breathing and circulation and also strengthens their core.

Kung Phoo said...

I could use it as a destresser.. that is something i should look into then.

P Bishop said...

I would like to sleep like a baby,so I may have to try yoga! Thanks for the encouragement.

JaimeLovesStuff said...

I feel you on the stress levels. I have been like that for a few days and my anxiety levels are hiiiiigh. I need to find some quiet time to meditate.

Yoga is absolutely wonderful. There are sooo many benefits! I remember the first time I did it- I was so surprised at how hard it was but wow, I never felt better!

Michele D said...

I really need to try it out. I've always wanted to. My lower back hurts on occasion so I am not sure if I could without being in pain.

Rena McDaniel said...

I have been wanting to try it out because I have RA and traditional workouts have been hard for me to do. This gives me the motivation to try it. thanks for sharing.

themommyavenger.com said...

Sounds like you found something wonderful that works for you! That's really exciting for you!

Young At Heart Mommy said...

I was always skeptical about yoga but I have been trying to learn more about it so I can see what it is all about. It looks very relaxing and anything that makes me sleep better is great!

Bonnie Gowen said...

I really should start doing yoga myself. I'm stressed everyday!

Sandy Sandler said...

I loved reading about your YOGA adventure. Thanks for sharing why yoga is so good for you, too. Keep it up.

Mama to 5 said...

That is great, sounds very relaxing! Great way to stretch too!

Natalie Summers said...

I've always wanted to do yoga.. but I don't know where to start, my body is so out of wack, it could really help a lot of issues i have.

Ann B said...

I really want to try yoga. I know many people love it and rave about it. I will try it soon!

Sweepster said...

My mom is a yoga instructor and I just don't understand the whole thing.

Rebecca Swenor said...

Yoga can be really fun and it does help for a lot of things. I do it to loosen my tight muscles for less stress.

Leira Pagaspas said...

I love Yoga!!! I like going to class I thought I could just do it on my own and while following a youtube video.

Michael said...

If I wasn't afraid of getting stuck in a lotus position,I might try yoga...

Emilee said...

I'm fairly overweight, but I'm incredibly flexible. I enjoy yoga so much. It's great for relaxation & to relieve other medical issues.

Brijdeep Kaur said...

yoga is awesome as always.. I had been doing it for years.. shall start again.. good luck..

mail4rosey said...

You had me at 'not craving sweets.' I haven't tried Yoga, but my DIL and her mom swear by it!

Liz Mays said...

My daughter always told me it helped her sleep too. I'm glad to hear that's true!

Tonya Lewis said...

Yoga has lots of health & mental benefits. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope you stick with it.

Kira Thompson said...

I love Yoga. I have for about 10 years. It makes me happy :)

Liz Martin said...

Yoga is love Russ! :)

Loudthinkin said...

Yoga is know to be a distressing technique. I am so glad it working for you... wishing more of baby sleep for you!!

Sumi Go said...

I've only tried anti-gravity yoga twice, so I can't really say that I've REALLY tried yoga already... Anyway, I've heard from friends who do yoga too that it's really helpful for the mind and the body. :)

Will definitely look for a yoga class in my area and try doing yoga even at home too.

Jeni G said...

So many benefits form yoga! Maybe I should try it too- like you I've been stressed out this past few weeks and I don't want it to result to burnout.

JeniG of Kalikotpepot

RANE said...

I really should get into Yoga .. I've been angry a lot lately & friends keep recommending it. Great Post

Priscilla Yeo said...

I ever got to learn some therapeutic yoga to help relieve my lower back problems. It was simple and effective and I am still using those tactics today.

Khushboo Motihar said...

Yoga is amazing for your health but it is essential that one does not give up in a couple of days. Continued efforts will only help you become healthier with yoga.

Louise Banta said...

This is the second yoga blog post that I've read today and I must say, yours have convinced me. Probably because I can relate to that stress and hard-to-sleep kind of nights.

I think I should really try out yoga. Where do you take yours?

Von Avancena said...

I really would love to do yoga but isn't it hard at first?

Sim @ SimsLife.co.uk said...

I had never considered Yoga to be helpful with sleep patterns... may definitely give it a try in that case - still want to lose a little more weight first before I drag my old bones into questionable positions! Simone x

Franc said...

I personally need Yoga too to improve my core and breathing. It really helps especially that I need endurance in running.

Suzanne said...

I have never tried yoga before, but the more I hear about first hand experiences with it the more I think it is something I could do. To increase my flexibility would be great!

Lorenzo Caballes Jr said...

My Canadian friend who is a Yoga instructor have been convinving me to try yoga...but haven't tried though...hopefully soon...

Lorenzo Caballes Jr said...

My Canadian friend who is a Yoga instructor have been convinving me to try yoga...but haven't tried though...hopefully soon...

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

The problem with this is Yoga is a lifestyle! We have to incorporate to our lives. I'm having a breakout now, and the TCM doctor asked me "Are you very stressed?" I was silent for a moment and did not know how to answer. I didn't think I was stress but, apparently my body think so, and they are all appearing in the form of PIMPLEs!

Fred Hawson said...

My medical exams show that I'm limited in very strenuous sports like badminton, so I don't do that already. The only exercise he recommended to me was yoga! Thanks for the encouragement to try it out finally.

Marie said...

I love Yoga! Even though I'm just a newbie when it comes to Yoga and I can't still stretch so much, I find peace while doing it. :)

So good to know that Yoga is doing good for you! :)

Manu Kalia said...

I would love to try yoga, I've heard it's addicted ;) Yoga + Massage would be perfect

Eliz Obih-Frank said...

Good for you! Yoga is a stress reliever and a fountain of youth giver. I've practiced it for years and the benefits are amazing.

Vanessa said...

Yoga is perfect for reducing the stress accumulated from our hectic everyday life, it clears the mind and strengthens the body. I totally love yoga, too!

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

I always do things by myself - i want to have yoga probably in the future with an instructor or something - id appreciate it more i guess