11 January, 2016

Food Trip: 2015 Top 5 Guilty Pleasures & Comfort Food

Confession: Last year, I intentionally limited my food shots in Instagram and in Facebook. I guess I wanted to put a premium to which dishes are worthy of being shared and deserve the attention from online & offline friends. When I was going through my IG gallery prior to crafting this post, I wanted to do a Top 3 Food List for 2015 but it was difficult to zero in on just 3. It just wouldn't work so I decided to stretch it to 5.


I love love love food! I share this passion with every other foodie out there. While I do like to watch what I eat, I make sure that I do not deprive myself of this guilty pleasure. I can be adventurous, but I am also a creature-of-habit on days when I feel like so. If something captures my taste buds and my heart, I would often say, "Oh my gosh. I can have this every day at hindi ako magsasawa! ( Trans: I will not get tired of eating it. )"

Without further ado, aside from Wine + Cheese, Pork Adobo, and Kimchi Ramen, these were my 5 favorite go-to comfort treats slash guilty pleasures in 2015. I must have had each of them at least 7 times last year. It could be hard to believe, but they bring so much delight that it just felt like there was a party in my mouth. Some of my friends had the pleasure of enjoying these meals when they willingly gave in to my cravings. They made weekends extra special and long work-related road trips something to look forward to. They kept me sane. And obviously, they made my heart and tummy super happy that having them was almost like an affair ...





Grilled ensaimada with Laguna cheese makes my heart smile. 😍

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


Grilled Ensaimada with Laguna Cheese by Café Mary Grace
My Favorite Branches: Alabang Town Center, SM Southmall, and Century City Mall
Girlfriend Tip: Best paired with Tea or Brewed Coffee


New Early Bird Fave: Spanish Sardines + Kesong Puti 👌

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


Spanish Sardines with Kesong Puti by Early Bird Breakfast Club
My Favorite Branch: Century City Mall • Read: #FoodTrip: Early Bird Breakfast Club
Girlfriend Tip: I always ask for butter on the side. Sinful? Yes. Delish. Definitely!


Best Mango Sago in Manila 👍

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


Mango Sago by The Hong Kong Chef Restaurant
Address: Unit 05-06 HK Sun Plaza, Macapagal Blvd, PICC Reclamation Area, Pasay
Girlfriend Tip: Try their Spinach Soup and Salt & Spicy Spareribs too.


On some days, Bulalo ( with all the litid ) is all you need 👌

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


Bulalo in Silang, Cavite
Where to Go: Glo-Ann's Restaurant & LZM Restaurant along Aguinaldo Highway
Girlfriend Tip: Fried Daing na Bangus goes well with the Bulalo.


My power breakfast earlier; so ready for everything HLURB today.

A photo posted by R U S S (@ruussso) on


An Energy Fix: Starbucks' French Toast
My Favorite Branches: Evia, NLEX Petron, Roxas Boulevard, and Victoria Towers
Girlfriend Tip: Best paired with a Short Non-Fat Caramel Macchiato at 120°




They're all not that healthy, but trust me, we all need our treats once in a while. I hope I did not make you hungry.Ü What are your top 5 comfort treats slash guilty pleasures last year?  ☮ Peace + ❥ Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.

50 comments:

Claire Marie Algarme said...

How delicious these food look! It seems not a good idea when you want to sleep and then you see all these yummy photos. I'll take a look at these again come morning to whet my appetite. :-)

Sunshine Kelly said...

The Mango Sago is one of my must have dessert and I cant get bored of.

PJ Zafra said...

Wow! All that is getting me hungry. Bulalo is one of my favorites which I haven't eaten in a while. Love your pictures. Food looks extremely delicious! Keep it up. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda Love said...

All those foods in your post is making me hungry. It's almost dinner time here and I would love the recipe for a few of those dishes so I can try them myself one day.

Amanda Love said...

All the food on your page is making me hungry but it looks oh so delicious. I'd love to get a few of the recipes so I can try them on my own.

Kai Darul said...

you take beautiful food photos. wow! that mango sago is enticing.

Elizabeth O. said...

I love food too. I don't mind spending money on food. I think it's an experience and not a necessity.

John Benliro said...

I would glad to have them all. But if I were to choose one, I would go with Bulalo. I always melt whenever the sweet aroma and the amazing taste of the soup and beef touch my tongue. Now I'm salivating.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

I love mango sago! It's my favorite just next to the almond jelly with fruit cocktail in Chinese restaurants. We have dined in at The Hong Kong Chef a long time ago. I wonder if they have new specialties. :)

Shivansh Chaudhary said...

The pictures look amazing, trust me I doubled up my mean aftering reading this post!

Jason P. said...

Your photos are really awesome! You were able to capture just how delicious the food is! Haha! Now I'm craving too :D

Franc said...

Spanish Sardine with Kesong Puti looks really tasty and good combination. Bulalo would always be a classic favorite.

Maerose Semeña said...

What delish comfort foods! I miss PH even more.. Can't even get bulalo and real mango here in the cold north. :P Craving for all the items on your list!

Fred Hawson said...

I will keep these places in mind next time we go out to eat. I was looking for a bulalo place for my foreign guest who specifically asked for it. Now I know where to bring him when he comes back.

Bhushavali N said...

Oh my Goodness!!! Its 9:45pm here and I haven't had my dinner yet and your post is making me very very hungry. The first pic is totally and the power breakfast is awesome as well.

Raymond Vasquez said...

Bulalo! :) all time favorite! Did you know that you made me hungry by this one right now? Haha I wish I could just make instant bulalo. hahah

Phylicia Marie said...

Mango sago has to be my favorite dessert in any casual dining Chinese restaurant!Super happy to see it make the list!

Masshole Mommy said...

My favorite comfort food is pizza. I also love me a good cheeseburger sometimes, too!

Ourfamilyworld said...

Everything looks delicious. The Mango Sago dessert is mouth watering.

Jeannette said...

I would love to try any of these, the Mango Sago looks like something I could just devour!

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle said...

That pork looks absolutely fabulous. ALL of these photos are making me hungry, though. Yummo.

NotNowMomsBusy said...

All of those meals look delicious. I know I personally have to limit my time looking at delicious recipes online. I would gain so much weight if I gave in to making every recipe I love.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Glad I already ate supper or else, my stomach will be complaining look at these yumy food. I'd love to try the mango sago!

mary said...

Love all the photos. you're a talented photographer. My fave is the first pic. Looks SO juicy and delicious. MMM

Miles L. said...

I could really see how you love food! Same here! I would love to try all these five dishes.

Terri Beavers said...

Goodness gracious, all of those dishes have my tummy rumbling. It's almost 4 am and your post is making me so hungry. I might have to eat early.

Megan Elford {WelcomeToTheZoo} said...

Mmm,I love looking at food pictures. I have to keep my actual consumption of food to a minimum, but looking at delicious photos is calorie-free!

Travel Blogger said...

Yum! I am a sucker for comfort food. I might have try one of these recipes on a cold afternoon!

Paula Schuck said...

This food all looks so amazing. I want to try it all.

Ricci said...

Your food photos are gorgeous!! That first one had me drooling! LOL!!

Tracy Iglesias said...

I have never tried any of these I need to get on that, these photos look great!

Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

kat b said...

All of these look very good! The very first photo with the pork looks amazing! I would love to try that out soon. Yum!

Kelli @ 3 Boys and a Dog said...

These all look amazing! One of the great things about travel, whether you go down the road, across the country or around the world-is experiencing and trying new foods!

Ashleigh Walls said...

I love me some comfort foods. Tonight we are indulging in stuffed crust pizza, one of my favorites.

Hil'Lesha O'Nan said...

I have never heard of some of these food dishes before, but that Mango Sago looks delicious! I love mangoes. :)

Maggie Branch said...

Each one of those photos showed some truly beautiful and delicious looking food. Comfort food makes my heart smile.

April Mims said...

I really shouldn't read this kind of stuff first thing in the morning. Now I'm hungry and all of this looks really great!

Bonnie Gowen said...

Those look like some really tasty meals. It all looks so good.

Lisa Codina said...

I haven't heard of half of these foods...but I'll tell you that my stomach is rumbling! I didn't have the greatest lunch so I'm getting hungry just looking at some of these!

Marielle Altenor said...

I love food! lol Never had mango Sago before though! I love eating mangoes so I bet this would taste good!

Lisa said...

I want to go out to eat with you! These all look so good!

Sarah-Louise Bailey said...

Oh these all look amazing - I have to admit anyting with cheese is my comfort food.

Angie K said...

omg you are making me so hungry! I have never even heard of half of these dishes but the mango one sound delicious!

Amanda Simkin said...

I want to go out and eat with you! Then I wouldn't feel like someone was judging me for taking tons of photos of what I'm eating. Love your photos!

Kristen Dann said...

I haven't had any of these dishes but they all look yummy. I checked out your Instgram and applaud you for being able to pick just 5, it would have been super tough for me.

Rebecca Swenor said...

These all look like guilty pleasure indeed. Yummy!!! I have to admit though the top picture with the pork is the one that made my mouth water. Thanks for sharing your guilty pleasures.

Heather Lawrence said...

I need to get out more often! I haven't had any of these dishes and there are a few I haven't even heard of before!
They all look delicious :)

Bonnie Gowen said...

Your power breakfast looks so delicious! Well all the food does actually. =)

Yona Williams said...

I think zeroing in on just 3 (or 5) comfort foods is hard. I would have to stretch it to 10 maybe. Hold up…Starbucks has French Toast???

Amanda Love said...

I've never heard of Bulalo but that looks really good. My comfort food is some good ole baked mac n' cheese. Nothing says comfort like that.