04 August, 2013

IN BETWEEN GETTING THIN & BEING FAT


People can be really strange and rude at the same time. When a person appears to be gaining weight, the person is labeled mataba ( FAT ), malusog, mahilig sa extra rice ( LOVES TO HAVE EXTRA RICE ), and so on. When a person chooses to take the healthier path and starts to shed pounds, the person is thought of to be anorexic, pabaya sa katawan, and if it gets a little nasty, you get remarks that you're like an addict, etc.

I have had my share of these remarks from friends, albeit the intention was probably good, it still does not come out nice. There are times that you can let it pass, but there are people who say it without tact. I'm sure you've encountered people who just blurt out stuff without thinking. I often try to shrug it off and I sometime make extra effort to explain why. In my case, it's thyroid-related, but then a lot of people are still clueless as to what the thyroid is, what its function is, and how it affects a person. 99.9% of the time, whenever I mention it to someone, I always get the "Ah oo, yung goiter" reaction.

5 years ago, I battled quite a serious thyroid condition. I've gone through extremes: weight down at 93-lbs and weight up, induced by meds with steroids to 117-lbs and my pulse rate went beyond normal range. It hit an all-time high of 150+ beats per minute. My doctors had to make sure I gained weight because — it had to be done because there was no way that me at 93-lbs will make it through the medical procedure.

Today, I am thankful for the healthier options that have been coming out in the market. There are Sexy Chef, Dine & Lite, Fitness Gourmet PH, and recently I discovered Diet Diva + we have Juju, Juice Jab, and again, another recent discovery is Drink Spruce. I just love how this niche market is growing!

I got a confession to make: my last date with my endo was not exactly good news because of the test results. I promised my endocrinologist that I will be a good girl. So far, I have been doing well with my 1,200 calorie per day and I squeeze in my kettlebell workouts at least twice a week. It also helps that I have friends that I can talk to about this thyroid madness. I appreciate how my friend, JK always reminds me to disconnect from the frenzied pace buzzing around me.

The moments we choose to live in fast forward mode is always a conscious choice. It was never an involuntary action. So, in between situations of getting thin and being fat, I have learned to slow down. Admittedly, most of my days are chaotic, but I've come to love and appreciate the value of knowing when to shut down Rosa ( my laptop ) and switch off both my phones. ☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Good Vibes.__RUSS.


35 comments:

Ricademus said...

You looked wonderful at any of those weights. Pretty is pretty.

It would be nice if people understood, but the most important thing is that you keep doing what's best for you. My sister-in-law had to have her thyroid removed and takes a pill called synthroid (not sure of the spelling).

Ricademus said...

Also, Matthew had a lot of good advice to share!!!

russ r. said...

Thanks Rick! Hey, what is your sister taking now? They stopped producing Synthroid.

P Bishop said...

Thank you for the information. My Aunt has trouble with her thyroid.

moses joseph said...

Thyroid is something that am afraid of.
But if any case something like this happen, here will be next place to run to. Good post here.

bxcrochet said...

I have been drinking a lot of green smoothies. Great to know you can get them in a lot more places now.

Michelle F.

glitterrain said...

It's about what serves you not about what makes you feel good. Feeling good could be scoffing down the wrong things. Always serve the best you ...!

Gina Butler said...

I have problems with my thyroid. I can't lose or gain weight. I just wish I was at a healthier weight to be "stuck" at.

Kung Phoo said...

People can be mean but i do not think they really mean it.. Allot of times its them looking out for you and wanting you to be safe and healthy.

Michele D said...

My cousin has a thyroid problem. I feel so bad for her and her weight issues. Hopefully things will look up soon!

Lexie Lane said...

It's really difficult to work stick to healthy diets. At least you're really trying.

MaryJane Tauyan said...

this is very true! i never get fat even when i got pregnant before. I only look like i had a ball inside my clothes. I received so much s**t talk that I look like anorexic, not eating well, i look unhealthy for a pregnant mom who didnt gained weight. Agree with all the things you've said in your post. But at the end of the day I am happy because I can wear anything i want with my skinny body hehe and I am living a healthy lifestyle too.

Franc said...

It's really nice that there are already healthy options available now.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

Right now I don't mind people who are discriminating those who are thin (anoxeric) and fat (matakaw). As long as the person is comfortable and healthy, it's fine. There are those who are thin outside but fat inside.

Fabulous Perks said...

Dieting is the hardest thing for me to do. I'm a major foodie and I guess I'm not displined.

JaimeLovesStuff said...

This is so true! If you lose weight- you must be on something. Gain it and you're a fatty who is overeating. Ugh. Can't win. We should just worry about what is healthy!

Good luck to you!

Amanda T said...

I can definitely understand this. I have fluctuated weight my whole life, and people are never happy, either way.

Payal Bansal said...

It's so difficult to stick with healthy diets, but smoothies are a great option.

thriftybelow.com said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with these thyroid problems and weight fluctuations. I'm glad to hear that you're working on being healthier. Good luck!

Nicole DiNezza, D.C. said...

Oh my goodness! 1200 calories isn't a lot :/ Check out Gary Taubes lectures on youtube- he talks about why you don't have to starve yourself on super low-cal diets- it's mostly carbs and sugar that are the problem.

Good luck on your journey!

Hanniz Envato said...

I've got a friend with the health issue too. It's not easy having thyroid as it makes you tired too. Just ignore the negative comments and be happy being who you are while being healthy

Danessa Foo said...

You are right; we play the most important part in making that conscience effort to stay healthy. Don't let the naysayers get to you. It's your body and you are the one living in it. I will pray for your journey to get healthier and that your next date with the endo to be a better one :)

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

This is like standing in the middle of the see saw and trying to be balanced all the time. It's not going to be easy, but I know you can do it!

Sim @ SimsLife.co.uk said...

Oh Chick! Thyroid problems really can play havoc with your weight. My mum tells me to lose weight, then when I am turns around and states to not lose too much... go figure. No pleasing some people. So long as you are healthy and happy in yourself, other people's comments will not matter. Sim x

Mazino Oyolo Kigho said...

Good to know that you are taking good care of your health. What is juju? In Africa juju mean charm.

Raine Pal said...

Don't worry sis, I know you can make it. Just discipline yourself and pray for guidance, do not mind all the saying about being FAT or CHUBBY...been there but I don't mind them.

Amanda Love said...

Seems like you're on the right track though. Eating healthy and working out. I wish you all the best and success on your weight loss challenge.

Franc said...

Those were scary times with the weight fluctuations and high bp rate. It's nice that you are concerned with your health and hope that you all the best in terms of your health.

Nicol said...

There's nothing that will please everyone, thin or fat. Who cares. We ll should be happy

lee rosales said...

im aware that if you have problems with our thyroid its either we gain weight easily and hard to lose weight.

papaleng said...

Good to hear that you are a 'good' girl now. There is no substitute for taking care of your health. BTW, beauty is not measured by the outside appearance of a man, it is the inner beauty that counts.

Eliz Frank said...

I'm glad you are handling the weight shifts and thyroid well. Stress is a factor in many health issues so staying healthy is important.

Fred Hawson said...

Most toxic goiter can be handled adequately by anti-thyroid medications, like Methimazole. I hope you are not one of those resistant cases which may end up with a course of RAI.

eLaNaKcL said...

Couldn't be bother much with ppl commment. Just so you feel confident is all that matters.

Vanessa said...

Your post made me think a lot about the way we live our lives always in a hurry, sometimes not appreciating the most meaningful things for us. We really need to slow down and spend time with people we love. Sometimes diseases that we go through make us pay attention, our body signalizes for the changes we need to make mentally and spiritually.