02 November, 2013

WHEN NUMBERS MAKE ME SMILE

Choose Happy
Getting back to my desired and ideal weight will be one my biggest accomplishments this year. * Getting ready to do my happy dance ... * I have 3 more pounds to shed and after that I can stop stepping on the scales. My thyroid levels would not stabilize for a while and kept swinging from hyper to hypo and back to hyper then hypo, etc. My endocrinologist was not happy with my last test results, but I know what I'm supposed to do. I do not want a Part 2 of 2008. That year, I battled Hyperthyroidism, Thyroiditis, and other complications that I would talk about in other posts. This time, it's Russ vs. Hypothyroidism. I do not want another medical procedure. I do not want to have radiation therapy. I do not want to camp back in the hospital.

I took my meds religiously and followed everything that my endo has asked me to do. Deep down inside, I knew that doing these will not be enough. If I wanted to at least have normal thyroid levels indefinitely, I had to help myself. The moment I started to make this happen, there were affirmations from the people around me. Every person who told me that I lost weight is a testament that I was doing things right.

13-lbs weight loss
Hurrah! If I'm doing my Math right, that's approximately 1.67 pounds / month. The number is low for a normal person, but is a good one for someone with hypothyroidism. Ever since I vowed to returning to this track, I am happy to share that I never starved myself. Yup, not a single meal. I'm proud of this attitude towards food. If you read my Slowly, But Surely post, you'd recall that I committed myself to some healthy habits. Following that, I have also been doing these:

» I've been getting more zzZzz hours.
» I've come to love and appreciate all the good stuff that go with the lemon fruit.
» I've been and am still on MyFitnessPal. It is very convenient!

Lastly, I still have my ever-dependable kettlebells. Kettlebell workouts and circuit training are love! I manage to squeeze in 2 days of 20-minute kettlebell programs. Thanks to YouTube and Skimble, there's this infinite digital library of videos that you can easily follow in the comforts of your home. KBs and I are very compatible. Let me share one of the KB workouts that I have been doing lately.







There are medical literature that say there's no cure for thyroid disorders, but they can be managed. I am thankful for my little successes and I hope that you guys also find it your hearts to celebrate small achievements in your lives. Today, I am 3 stubborn pounds away from my victory.
☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


Supplemental Reading. Most people are not familiar with the thyroid and thyroid disorders. You may Google it, but you may also read more about Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism, and Thyroiditis from EndocrineWeb.Com. I hope these help.
1) Thyroid
2) Hyperthyroidism
3) Hypothyroidism
4) Thyroiditis

20 comments:

Clare Henney said...

Wish I could have your discipline Russ. I need to lose weight too and I'm not doing a good job at it.

jassy said...

thanks for posting this, i've been having cheat days last week because of stress, i need to go back :) we can do this! :)

[vayie] said...

Good to hear that Russ. People with thyroid problems needed a lot of discipline talaga.

Phillip Dews said...

Wow Russ seems like you have gone through it all!
It's good to have commitment when it comes to personal health issues hey!
I am getting better at jumping on my bike 3 or 4 times a week as I am trying to lose my beer belly and eat healthier these days so thank you for the inspiration!
Keep at it Gal!
- PD

Radhika parcha said...

Thanks for sharing this..i am not doing justice to my weight loss program.. one shoukd have discipline to what they need ..

Jamie F said...

Slowly but surely! Way to go! I'm trying to lose that amount of weight right now!

glitterrain said...

Just wanted to applaud your commitment to yourself. You're rippling out on so many dimensions.

Franc said...

Good job. 13 pounds of weight loss and you did it the hard way.

Kung Phoo said...

That is great Russ! I noticed when i am on my diet and exercise plans, my back and body just do not hurt.

bxcrochet said...

I used to do a kettle bell class a couple years ago when I was pretty fit. I loved it. I hope to work back into being able to do it again.

Michelle F.

Natosha Miller said...

Great work! I am too into keeping in shape and staying healthy. I think even a little of something is worth more than a little of nothing. Your doing great keep it up!

Kath Rivera said...

I had a hyperthyroid disorder before and after treatment it just disappear like bubbles, I also exercise three times a week so I guess having a healthy lifestyle made a big difference.

Aisha Kristine Chong said...

Been gaining some weight lately. I need to work on my discipline yet again so I can shed off some pounds.

Natalie S. said...

I lost 5 lbs.. mostly because I don't eat when I'm awake at night.. I chew sugarfree gum & drink a lot of water.. I need to get my arm feeling better so I can do stuff like this.. currently its still sore from where i fractured it.. never did get a cast, kinda regretting that now.. lol but this workout looks insane, i would totally break a leg throwing that thing around haha

Payal Bansal said...

I have hypothyroid and I am so glad you came up with this article. Numbers and words makes me feel so good :)

Rochkirstin Santos said...

The feeling after a work out feels great every time! I wonder if I can perform all these myself.

tony greene said...

I wasn't aware of such good aspects for health that lemon is. will definitely be adding it more to my diet for the summer.

Fabulous Perks said...

I applauded you, It takes a lot of determination and commitment to stick to any weight loss plan. This is very inspiring!

Sharon Ruggieri said...

You know what? Good for you! Losing slowly like that would be discouraging for some, but you're staying motivate so you go with your bad self!

Emy Cooks said...

Awesome work! It is loads of determination to keep your weightloss program going. Keep it up, I need to do some toning up and prograstinating.This is inspiring!