29 August, 2014

MY TOP 3 WAYS TO MANAGE STRESS

Fact 01: Stress is perpetually present in our lives.
Fact 02: While there's bad stress, there also exists good stress.

I have been under a lot of bad stress lately and while I cannot run away from it, there are things I ( or you ) can do to make into something more pleasant. The BS piles up one after the other and on some days Murphy picks you to be his new friend. Things have been really off, but I don't know if it has something to with ghost month or with the alignment of my stars. I think I've reached my quota of it's-so-not-my-day-moments this August.

The icing on the cake happened Week 1 of August. A male colleague, stormed into my area and threw a  misdirected fit at me . It was really petty if you ask me, but I did apologize to him several times for something that he felt bad about. I really just didn't like how he lashed out on me in the workplace and how he yapped non-stop even after I said that I was sorry for something I said that wasn't even supposed to offend anyone. After close to half-an-hour, he finally stopped when I pointed out, "What is wrong with you? I already told you that I'm sorry and didn't mean to hurt your feelings, what else do you want me to do? Why are you so angry at me? Don't you think you should talk to the people who started this in the first place?"


Image Credit: Nicholas Fergusson


We see each other in the office, but he never apologized until one evening two weeks after his attention was called by upper management because of the incident. He casually walked up after x bottles of beer and finally, said "I'm sorry." While I disagree with his gesture because the timing wasn't right and the setting was inappropriate, which seemed to be an act of PR or simply just for show, what won over me were four words that Mom and my good friend Candace always tell me.

01. Be the bigger person.
While I may be in the better position to be angry because of the verbal abuse I got from him, I choose to not be. I was tempted to fight back, but it took every ounce of patience and control in me to not snap at him that night. I played scenarios in head and I knew that if acted on impulse, this was going to get uglier and it will definitely drag. I'm just glad that I had better control of how I responded to the situation. Letting him be happy on this one doesn't make me weak. Besides, life is too short to waste it on unnecessary emotions.

I probably am speaking too early, but I don't think I can go back to being friends with him. Or, we were probably never friends to begin with because friends don't take offense when they're told of stuff they don't want to hear. Friends don't resort to emotional and verbal abuse, too. Agree?



Image Credit: Chatelaine


02. Work up a sweat.
This is simple, yet a very effective way to stay cool under fire. I had a trainer before in Slimmer's World who used to give me a lot of pep talk about how exercise makes us look better, how it helps lift our mood ( similar to how chocolate does it ), and how it lowers stress levels. Fast forward to today, he's still right. I'm grateful to have discovered Yoga and recently, I've been trying Pilates, too. Life is too short to dwell on trivial stuff, might as well pull out the Yoga mat and break some sweat.

I did talk to a trusted few about the stuff that have been going on lately, but at the same time I also don't want to burden others too much about these things because just like anyone, they also have problems to deal with. Moreover, every functioning and responsible adult must know which battles to fight the same that he or she must be able to tell when it's alright to just walk away because your energy will be better off channeled somewhere more productive.


03. Relieve stress through creativity.
Next to Pilates, this is something that I have been enjoying a lot the past weeks. I have been doing a lot of writing ( most have not been published ), conceptualizing events for future use, and working on my makeup skills via YouTube.


Meet one of my favorite MU teachers in YouTube, Noe Mae Villagonzalo.
Image Credit: Noe's YouTube Channel


Writing's something that I have always been passionate about even as a kid, whilst doing events is a huge surprise for me because I never liked my Advertising for Events class back in college but it's something that I've been doing for the last 9 years. And finally, this interest and growing appreciation for makeup started just after college. While I'm not fond of putting color on myself, I have always been fascinated with the talent that make-up artists have. To be able to enhance the beauty of another individual is an amazing gift. I have been practicing mostly in the morning before I go to work and hopefully I'd level up soon to see if I can do some magic with Mom. Life is too short to stay stuck in a rut, choose to spend your time doing worthwhile stuff.

Yes, being stressed about something is a normal human response but too much of it can cause serious health issues. It's important to listen your body and at the same time, see the bigger picture in most situations. Almost always, doing the right thing is not a walk in the park. The same thing can be said about being the bigger person. However, we all have choices and it's just a matter of picking the right ones.Ü

With that, I would like to know what your thoughts are about STRESS. How do you manage it when it goes beyond the level that you can normally tolerate?  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.

40 comments:

Wanderin Poet said...

Breath in, breath out and relax!

Sharon Wong said...

Amazing post! Thank for sharing these helpful tips. I am currently in college and I am always preparing myself for exams. I would love to try these out and see what it does for me. :)

Trish said...

Exercise and doing something creative (for me it's photography) definitely help me with my stress issues! Sometimes something as simple as a quiet room with a book will do the trick too :)

Rochkirstin Santos said...

Was he also mistreating other people in the office? His attitude is so annoying. I'm only reading the story and I'm also feeling stressed out by him whaha.

Samantha Angell said...

This post came at the perfect time for me. I am currently going through a similar situation, where i have apologized to somebody for something that was not really my fault twice, and reached out twice more to no avail. I just keep reminding myself, like you, be the better person!

Cindy Gordon said...

Great tips, thanks for sharing! I do yoga!

Melissa said...

I used to be a stress eater (bad, i know), but now I go for a run or do some yoga. It helps a lot!

bxcrochet said...

Those are some great tips. I love to leave my stress at the gym.

Michelle F.

♥ Vanessa said...

I go for a run every morning to relieve stress. Also take time with NO distractions to sit and clear your thoughts and meditate. A nice cup of herbal tea at night is great too!

Tracy Snyder said...

Whoa that's a lot of stress. I am not good at dealing with stress.

Heather Jones said...

I am known for being a stressful basket caset. I am trying to town down my stress lately though. I've been going to the gym and working out and I think its helped with my stress levels. Its good also to not take on more than you can chew and to say no.

Bonnie G said...

These are some great tips. I really need to start doing these.

Andrea Kruse said...

Great points. Yes, there are ways to deal with stress. My biggest stress is my small children. The tantrums don't leave me as much creative time as I would like to have.

FamiGami said...

My day job causes me stress. It isn't the work itself or the pressures but the ignorance of the pubic that drives me nuts... it's something I deal with all the time and hopefully I'll learn to take your advice to heart!

Tanya Coffman said...

I also learned to take mini mental health breaks in my head. Sometimes I go to the beach, sometimes a brisk hiking trail in the middle of fall...taking care of special needs boys with no real life break...I have constant stresses :-/ Thanks for the tips!

Gabby OBrien said...

I loe doing my makeup as a way to relieve stress. I always feel better when I am dolled up!

Tracy Iglesias said...

It takes awhile for us to learn it's not the people around us, or what they do, we cause our own stress by how we react to a situation. I hope things at your workplace improve, in the meantime creative pursuits really are a great way to relax!

Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

Rebecca Swenor said...

I have to admit I don't handle stress very well. It takes me a while to process but than I look at the whole picture. I will usually walk it off literally. Thanks for sharing.

Ecuador InMyEyes said...

Great tips! And all the three are very true and tested helps for the stress.

Fernando Lachica said...

Life is a continuous processes of what you believed to be the best thing to do. Do what is right and be happy. Stress is not an optioon.

Hina Naz said...

Great tips. I usually go for yoga.. To sit silent is also effective way to relax body.

Mia Foo said...

i don't handle bad stress very well, even though i love the challenges from tons of good stress. thanks for the tips!

Sumi Go said...

Sigh.. Whatever we do, we really can't take stress out of our lives. Anyway, great tips you posted here! If I may also add, just relaxing and meditating can help manage stress levels too. Anyway, wishing you a bad stress-free week ahead! Hope nothing like that incident with your co-worker would ruin your day.

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

Nice tips. Besides that, it's good to find a channel to let out your stress. Some find it through exercising, some watching tv shows, for me, I do both!

iaminlander said...

Great tips! Staying healthy is a must now!

iaminlander said...

Great tips! Staying healthy and pretty is a must now :)

Fred Hawson said...

Agree with #1 and #3. I would agree with #2 too only if I have more time in my day to do it! I find it stressful to find it time in my filled up day. Haha!

papaleng said...

These are all great and helpful tips. If I may add, be funny.

Jasmine said...

grateful for these tips. have been trying some because i seriously have issues on stresssssss

Jasmine said...

grateful for these tips. have been trying some because i seriously have issues on stresssssss

eLaNaKcL said...

Exercise definitely helps to reduce stress. For now, let's relax....

Amie Hu said...

Exercise and sleeping it off are my favourite ways of relieving stress and forgetting about anger :) Great tips there~

Sunshine Kelly said...

agree! sweat it out is the best way for me to destress

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

I actually also think of that often, the line Be the Better person, I think it improves my personality everyday. I used to always fight back, but now I've learned to pick my battles properly and be the better person, yoga helps me too.

Louise Banta said...

I've been hearing a lot of Yoga and Pilates and how they really help you with stress management. And it's really one of the reason why I wanted to try it out.

We all have our own ways how to deal with stress and I love how you stated that you've been trying new things. I believe activities subconsciously divert our attention so we get to forget the stress. :)

Suzanne said...

Stress can cause more harm in the long run if we do not cure it now. I like your suggestions on how to do just that.

Franc said...

Working out can really relieve the stress. Hobbies are also a good way to manage stress.

Sin Yee said...

Everyone has different way to cope with stress.. my way is to listen music and sing!!! Haha

Vanessa said...

Your suggestions are great and useful, and easy to apply in everyday life! Stress is a common problem nowadays and it can damage our health if we do nothing to fight it!

Eliz Obih-Frank said...

It's good to read that someone else finds being creative a De-stressor. It works for me too.