23 August, 2014

Battle Plan: No Shortcuts. Eat Right + Exercise.

I had a chance to try the  Ultra Lipo  treatment a few Saturdays ago. A friend gave me gift certificates from one of the wellness and aesthetic clinics here in Manila. I shared my gift certs with P, who was more excited than I was with the treatment.

We did our research and read from several articles on the web that Ultra Lipo is a non-invasive fat loss procedure. It uses ultrasound cavitation to break down fat, which will be excreted through urine, sweat, etc. Appealing, isn't it? The Wellness Consultant we spoke with said the same thing. She adds that there is no downtime, but you can't expect to see instant results similar to what happens when gets liposuction. So, you need to have a series of treatments - average of 20 sessions coupled preferably done every week for better results and coupled with their proposed meal plan. I deem that she was trying to sell us their services.



Image Credit: Fat Loss Factor



Did she convince us? Certainly NOT.
We could have been her market, but there was a huge disconnect with her sales pitch from the beginning. I was waiting to hear of a new benefit, something that their competitors don't offer. I was hoping the Wellness Consultant would speak of something that would complement our lifestyles or propose something that would fit into our busy schedules.

P and I had high hopes about Ultra Lipo, but after our session and after talking to the Wellness Consultant, we were both more than certain that eating right and exercising are still the best ways to efficiently & effectively lose weight or maintain your ideal body. The treatment probably works, but it's not the product for us.



It's time to start eating healthy.
Image Credit: GabbyandLaird.Com


Since 2009, my battle plan has always been  Calories In - Calories Out.  I keep track of what I eat and log the workouts that I do. Challenging as it was, eventually, my body was able to adapt. Rice ( 1 cup = approx. 204 calories ) is a staple in every Filipino meal and was the biggest hurdle I had. When I started making little adjustments here and there & did what I was supposed to do, everything else fell into place. Making smarter food choices has become a natural thing to do and I'm happy to share that I'm not even dieting now :)


There are no shortcuts to losing weight.
Image Credit: Huffington Post


Finding time to exercise.
There was a time that I had to take care of my Mom for ten (10) months because she couldn't walk; she had an accident and was on a wheelchair for almost a year. This was the time that I was working out three times a day! I'd box in the morning, go to the gym to run after Mom eats lunch, and at night, I play badminton with friends. I do miss those days because now I must always find time to squeeze in my workouts in between meetings, shoots, reports, book club, events, and everything else. This is the part where time management, constantly motivating yourself, and discipline come in. For me, there is no such thing as too busy.

Fitness apps like Skimble, DietPoint, and MyFitness Pal have become my new workout buddies because they let me burn calories even if I don't go to the gym.



Yes, finding time to exercise amidst a crazy schedule is challenging. Yes, eating right can be difficult when you're with friends and family who love to eat. But if you want a healthier you, you need to do what you have to do and you have to start NOW ... NOT TOMORROW, but NOW. No short cuts, just plain hard work and discipline.Ü  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


The Battle Plan Series
» Discover Yoga
» Slowly, but surely
» No excuses.


30 comments:

joei ♥ said...

Well said. I've been trying (TRYING ha ;)) to change my lifestyle but the problem here is that once you consciously make smarter choices when it comes to food, sasabihin na you're dieting. But for me it's not dieting eh. It's just healthy living. No deprivation naman, just smarter choices. Although the trend now is towards fitness and health, there still remains this majority who doesn't fully understand it. It's just frustrating.

Tessa Smith said...

I recently lost just over 50lbs in 5 months by doing exactly this. Eating write and exercising 5-6 times a week. I feel incredible!

Diana Villa said...

Great post as always! This is very useful for me because I really want loose some weight, thank you so much for sharing ^_^

Catherine Sargent said...

Thank you for your post. I have been trying to exercise and eat better. I struggle with doing my workout after I have just worked a 10 hour day. I need to just buckle down and do it.

Growing Up Madison said...

I do try and exercise as much as I can but I hate exercising and I have to admit that I don't eat very healthy either. I'm 5'10 and weigh 150lbs which I think is great but I do need to get on the exercise and eat healthy tend.

♥ Vanessa said...

It really is the simple equation of eating healthy and getting a proper amount of exercise (4-5 days a week, 1 hr per day or more). I lost all of the baby weight I put on with that equation and it not just about looks, it is also about how you feel!

Amy@Will Run For Ice Cream said...

Great post. And I agree, it has to do with correct nutrition and exercise. It isn't easy, but if you want to see results, you gotta do what you gotta do :)

Mrs. Mashed Up said...

No, the process of sweating out fat doesn't sound appealing. LOL But I'd take that anyway as a noninvasive option. Glad you got to try it out and shared your experience.

Kristin Y said...

I so agree with you!!! I track calories in and calories out. I do add some supplements some days. Especially when I know im not getting enough protein. On those days I add a meal replacement shake I use because it has 24 grams of protein. Great job and thanks for sharing

Julie Tucker said...

One of the best things, I think, people do to lose weight is keep a journal. I also like that you box. It's great exercise and it toughens you up.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

CICO - Calories In-Calories Out is a good plan to have. Actually I have been living in the same theory ever since in high school when I realized I have to lead a healthy life and be more conscious of food I take.

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

No matter what magic diet fads come and go, eating right and exercising is still the best way. Well said.

nikkidargantes said...

That's true! You could never achieve a healthy body with just diet, or just exercise. You'd have to balance both. Thanks for sharing your health tips!

Diana said...

This is so true! I lost over 80 lbs in the last year and every one asks me what my secret is. I have no secret. I kept a calorie deficit. 1200 calories a day = weight loss at the end of the week. And if I'm eating high fiber, filling foods I'm going to be full and less likely to "cheat".

Ronda Ogilvie said...

sounds like you are making great choices! keeping track of all the calories you take in is key! Keep up the good work!!

Celebrate Woman said...

Love your urgency and truth that we gotta start it NOW, without any delay.

Hannah Green said...

A fab post, this will definitely be motivating and thought provoking for a lot of people. All the best of the rest on the rest of your journey x

Sim @ SimsLife.co.uk said...

Interesting post - totally agree that exercise and eating well are the best ways to lose weight and maintain. Unfortunately I start too late... as always so now have a mountain to climb! Simone x

Louise Banta said...

I totally agree! Nothing beats exercise & proper diet in losing weight. I really don't believe in advanced ways of loosing weight (pills, machines, etc). Most of these companies objective is not about you loosing weight but you purchasing their products/services to earn.

Good thing you did not fall for the trap!

Fred Hawson said...

Weight loss is easier said than done. You should do this on the supervision of a weight management consultant.

Franc said...

Exercise and diet always go hand in hand. We need to have the proper nutrients too so we can have the energy needed to exercise.

Latifah said...

Great Post! I can relate there are times in my life when calories in didn't match calories out. Especially in the winter when I tend to eat more and work out less.Making time to work out is so important. Luckily I eat pretty healthy I tend to fluctuate 10lbs or so but I need to maintain a consistent weight. Thank you for sharing the apps I will surely check them out as I sure they will help with a little more motivation. Thank you again for sharing.

Marie Clara said...

This is my new project for myself. I've gained so much weight from the last 2 years and now it's taking it's toll on me.

I've been working out regularly and I'm trying my best to eat healthy for a newer and healthier me.

Loudthinkin said...

Exercise is the best way to lose weight because not only you lose those love handles but also because you strengthen the heart and tone up muscles!

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

Indeed good diet and exercise is still the final and best way to keep fit and slim down. But having slimming treatments will help boost and break down stubborn fats that are out of reach.

Vanessa said...

Yes, you are so right. It is not enough to just exercise if you lack proper nutrition. And vice versa, just a proper nutrition is not enough to make you burn the unnecessary calories so that you stay fit!

Sin Yee said...

Great post! I am trying to slim down now! Eating muesli as breakfast and apple as dessert when hungry. ><

Fernando Lachica said...

Exercise, excellent eating habits, nutritious food, good lifestyle and happy living are some of the ingredients that we have to cconider with our daily lives. Always bear in mind; eating and exercising are too be done daily.

Eliz Frank said...

You are right. We need to commit to taking care of ourselves. A fit body equals a fit mind.

Nicol said...

exercise and healthy eating is the best way. no fancy diets