15 November, 2015

Love at first sight. #WONDERFUL

Narita Airport
My 19-year old self will tell you that love at first sight is ridiculous. I never believed in it because I didn't think it was possible — but then, it just kind of happened during an unexpected and unplanned trip to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Confession: Japan was never in my list of countries to visit. Gasp.
Yes guys, this is not your typical "I have always wanted to go to Japan" story. Greece, Amsterdam, Maldives, Ireland, and Russia are in my travel bucket list but not Japan. Going there for the first time in 2014 for the wedding of a couple friend was very much last minute. I applied for my visa three weeks before the big day while everyone else attending the March wedding worked on theirs as early as December. I would have done things differently if it were one of the five countries that I am just itching to go to, but since I was not so excited about going to Japan, I did everything last minute from my putting my OOTDs together to filing my leaves, booking my flight, and packing for the trip.

First Meeting. First Glimpse.
My first everything of Japan was at Narita Airport. The moment I set foot in Japan, it was just super WOW. As in, showboat talaga sya but it has every right to be. NRT alone already gave me this travel romance vibe. Imagine what it must have been when I started to see everything else outside their airport — from the roads, to the trees, houses, buildings, and everything in between. The ride from Narita to Roppongi was a series of Ooohs, Wows, and Aaahs. If someone were sitting next to me in the Limo Bus, he / she would probably think that I were crazy. There was just this endless flow of genuine IK ( internal kilig ) all over. I was giddy and I could not help but smile. That was the effect that Japan has on me. It was that impossible to hide my excitement. I just knew that it was all over my face and there's no way to hide it. It's pretty much the same when you're super-duper in love.

A beautiful love affair
Love at first sight is not easy-to-explain. When it hits you, you just know. The feeling lingers and it doesn't go away. It's the kind of feeling that you joyfully go back to and each time, it's as if you're still in that moment. You want to know everything about it. It is the good and happy kind of addictive.Ü That's how I feel about Japan. Friends who've asked me about Japan said that I get so animated whenever I talk about it. My eyes light up and they feel that I'm on a certain kind of high that it makes them want to go Japan themselves.

It is still unbelievable how it was never in my must-see places, but when I was there — grabe, there are simply no words. If given the chance, it is one country that I definitely want to visit every year. Just last month, the universe conspired to make Osaka happen. And, guess what? I am already planning to go back in 2016. Don't get me wrong. I love my country, but I think, I have a love affair with Japan. I love everything about Japan: from the food to the bicycles & their train stations, to the complexity of their railway system, fashion, architecture, weather, their malls, the people, the subway, make-up, books in vending machines, sake, the culture, the narrow alleys, street art, how they preserve their culture and their history, their shops, even their toilets! I could go on all day and not get tired about it.

Walking the streets of Shinjuku
My world of wonder
It probably won't surprise you to know that Japan made it to my world of wonder list ( the other two on my list are Madonna and Linka from Captain Planet ). I like how all my senses ignite when I plan on which city in Japan I'm going to next. I find it rather fun when I think about missing my train stop and getting lost altogether in Kyoto. I get excited ordering a from a menu that doesn't have anything in English but each time, I discover a new dish that I'd want to try again. I love how challenging it always is to look for this Japanese make-up brand and it delights me when I see the sales people in the malls happy when they find out that one of the reasons that I am in their country is because of that make-up. Lucky me, I often end up bringing home tons of freebies.

And more importantly, I am grateful to live in this lifetime. Technology & the Internet have made us connected, possibly closer to each other, and the rest of the world more accessible.

Traveling has become easier, more fun, and more convenient. I hope and pray that it stays that way so I can live my dream of going to Japan each year. Or, perhaps the universe may want to surprise me again and bring me another love-at-first-sight experience. Seriously, traveling has been one of my motivators at work. Don't laugh, but the thought of it makes me get my out of bed in the morning so I won't be late for work. Whenever I think about how travelers and tourists have more options when it comes to accommodations and how how airlines continue to add more destinations to help us cross off items in our bucket lists, I just find more motivation and inspiration to not use my leaves. Lol. Just recently, I learned that Philippine Airlines will be flying to Auckland, New Zealand starting December 2015. *Hint Hint* Exciting, ain't it? Good news is, you can book now at www.philippineairlines.com.




It's your turn to share what makes your world wonderful. What top 3 things fill your world with wonder?
 ☮..Peace + _Love + Spreadin' Tons of Travel Vibes. RUSS.

70 comments:

Elizabeth O. said...

Japan is such a beautiful country. The places, the people, the food! It's all so awesome. Anyone would fall in love with Japan.

Erica Villas said...

I can't wait to visit Japan! I'm sure it would be love at first sight for me.

Jason P. said...

My top 3 things would definitely be family, friends, and travelling! :D

Fernando Lachica said...

Really, you've done the impossible, "love at first sight" in another country. You enjoyed every minute of it and planning to come back. Hoping for positive results all along with your life.

Rochkirstin Santos said...

Japan is one of the countries I've always wanted to visit. I hope that my dream will finally come true next year! I have a love affair with Japanese food. :) Tokyo or Osaka is fine!

Fred Hawson said...

We are currently planning for our family trip to Tokyo and it is very exciting for us as well. I had already been to Osaka and Kyoto, but Tokyo remains a dream for now. Your news about New Zealand is also very exciting. So I guess you are watching Madonna on February next year!

Masshole Mommy said...

Japan sounds amazing. My husband spent 2 weeks there when he was in the military and LOVED it. The food, the amazing sights - everything. I would LOVE to go there someday.

Patrice Foster said...

Interesting adventure "love at first sight" and the other person is in another country. Hope every think work out for you. Thanks for sharing,

Raymond Vasquez said...

Haha Japan has been on my list. Well, Maldives too! haha there are places that you haven't listed, but for some reasons you'd be able to go there. What's amazing is, you will be surprised and enjoy the trip! :)

Jeannette said...

My brother lived in Japan for a year and I think if it was up to him he would still be living there. It have heard it is a beautiful place and I hope that one day I can visit.

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle said...

Love at first sight is a rare thing. In another country? That sounds like the makings of a movie.

savannah said...

My first would be my kids, 2nd would be my pups and last would be the rest of my family :) And in that order!

lovemindanao said...

looks like you got charmed by japan. it must be the deep fusion and sincerity of culture that's visible whenever you go...

Eileen said...

My husband was only able to stay in Narita for three hours while waiting for his connecting flight to NY. He only had nice things to say about the place. I hope can travel to Japan in the future. Probably when the kids are all done with college, we will.

Elizabeth O. said...

Japan really is a beautiful country, you just can't help but fall in love with it. The people are very kind and welcoming too. The food is just glorious!

Mistee Dawn said...

I have always wanted to visit Japan. Hopefully I will make it there one day!

Liz Mays said...

It's awesome that you fell in love with the country so hard. I would love to experience that sometime. This gives me inspiration to travel to countries I wouldn't normally think of.

The Binder Ladies said...

Japan sounds really fascinating - but there are other places I'd rather go first! I loved this story - very sweet!

Jennifer Van Huss said...

THat sounds so romantic! Visiting Japan is one of my must visit places. The culture fascinates me!

Kristen said...

I remember the first time I went to England. ( I was 21). I got off the plane and just sat there to listen for the British accents!

spiffykerms said...

I had the same type of feeling when my husband and I moved to California (we are from Canada). I fell in love with it at first sight. Ugh, it's so gorgeous... and WARM here.

Nikki said...

I know Japan is really beautiful place to stay, I love their foods and their culture.

Deal Match Maker said...

Travel, Foods and Love! I travelled a lot when I was younger, maybe about 2-3 countries each year

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I have never been to Japan and now you make me feel like going there! I guess the thing about Japan is how their culture is very vibrant and how everyone is connected!

Victoria Heckstall said...

I always wanted to go in Japan but i don't have a chance. It was a nice place to visit

yvonnembertoldo said...

Can't believe that Japan is not a part of your to go to list. I envy you that you've been to such a great country like Japan. Hopefully I get to visit this place soon.

Katrina Centeno said...

Oh, Japan! Lucky you! Japan is my LDR hehehe! I still have to save up for that. It is in my list of countries to visit.

Erin Shebish said...

What a beautiful country! Its impossible not to love it!

Dogvills said...

Oh, Japan is an amazing country. My first visit was when I was fourteen and I've been in love since then.

Pooja Kawatra said...

Japan is so beautiful and it is on my list to visit. I have heard a lot of lovely things about people and food .

Kelly Chin said...

I love travelling and Japan is one of the countries that I love to go again and again. I love the food, people, culture and scenery there.

Ourfamilyworld said...

It's been a long time since I've last traveled to Japan. It's a beautiful country. It's clean everywhere you look and the people are courteous.

Wood Arts Universe said...

So lucky that you get to go to Japan and experience their culture. It's been my dream to go there and explore their beautiful places. It's also nice to travel to places that you didn't like at first, you will be caught by nice surprises that the place will offer you.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Japan is like KOrea. I would love to explore there someday. I have only been to their airport.

Lynndee said...

I've only been at Japan's airport on our trip to Atlanta from the Philippines, but I definitely would love to explore Japan. Someday, I hope. :)

Crystal said...

What an amazing story! It is these stories that inspire so many to see what the world really holds. Thank you for sharing!

Ann B said...

I love traveling and have often wanted to move where I visit. I have never been to Turks and Caicos but I think I would fall in love with that country and not want to leave.

Megan Elford {WelcomeToTheZoo} said...

I would love to visit Japan one day! I'm like you -- I think I'd fall in love immediately and never want to leave! The history and culture and colours -- it's all so beautiful!

John Paul Quiambao said...

Japan is my dream destination. growing up in the time anime was so popular on tv.. it was actually my dream since i was young. i really wish i could visit the place nextyear..

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

I felt the same way about Korea! Although the people in SoKor are defnitely not as nice as Japan, I fell in love with the culture, the infrastructures and the food. :)

LifeAsAConvert said...

I've never been to Japan before. Some of my family are Japanese. Maybe one day I will get to visit :)

Lisa Codina said...

That's a wonderful story! I have lived in 3 different countries besides my own and I completely understand how you can 'fall in love' with a city or country!

Two Boys and a Hubby said...

Your pictures make me want to jump on a plane and go there right now! I could see how you could fall in love.

Sojourner Williams said...

I fell in love with Japan too when I went. Well, I fell in love with Kyoto and Osaka- Tokyo was a bit too much- lol

Franc said...

I haven't been to Japan but based on your account. I'm sure to fall in love with the place as well. We really learn to appreciate a lot of things when we travel and we really fall in love all over and over again.

mail4rosey said...

ah I said I never believed in love at first sight. That's not true though, with travel it was def. love at first sight for me. :)

Yona Williams said...

Oh wow...are those real deer in that picture with the people taking the selfie??? It looks like there is a lot to see and do in Japan. Great visuals!

Christy Garrett said...

I haven't had the opportunity to go to Japan. I would love to visit one of these days.

Angie Church said...

many years ago my uncle lived in Japan through his story I fell in love with the place. So much to do and see there

Kristi Wheeler said...

How wonderful! I enjoyed looking at your photos!

Claire C said...

I've not been to Japan, I would love to go - I better get saving!

melandria romero said...

i always dream of visiting South Korea and Italy, i have always told my husband that i hope we can visit it before we turn old and i can still beat the cold weather. The dress colors are really pretty.

Tracy Iglesias said...

Thankfully my 'love at first sight' travel fave is a bit closer to home, mine is San Francisco, I live in New York City, but when I get tired of these winters, I want to head for sunnier weather so I will probably relocate to the West Coast sometime soon. I also loved Santa Barbara. I haven't yet visited Japan, like you mention it is not exactly on my Top 10 list and I want to get through first! :-)

MyTeenGuide said...

Japan was the first country I visited and I fell in love with it instantly. I can't help but compare it with the other countries I traveled to.

ana de jesus said...

I know exactly what you mean it kind of describes my love affair with street art I am obsessed especially because it is such a diverse culture, the same as Japan I imagine!

Eileen Kelly said...

I hae done my share of traveling, yet never made it to Japan. I would love to go , though! What a great post, you never know what you will love until you go and do it!

Chanelle DeGraff said...


This looks amazing. I hope to do something similar soon.

Deal Match Maker said...

Japan is on my bucket list . I cancelled our trip 2 years ago

Michelle Mink said...

i want to visit Japan to see Disneyland Toyoko so i can visit all disney theme parks

Angie Scheie said...

My mom was born and lived in Japan for many years, and I have always wanted to visit!! My Japanese is like that of a 1 year old, but what an amazing trip would be :-)

Rachel Mouton said...

What a beautiful post! My daughter wants to visit Japan. I'm thinking about taking her :)

Jackie Ramirez said...

Yay! I can also say that I believe in love at first sight when i do visit Japan. Your pictures makes me so envy of you. I need to save more to visit this beautiful country.

Holly @ Woman Tribune said...

Japan sounds like an absolutely captivating and incredible place to be able to visit. I have never been there before, but I would definitely love to go and experience that culture.

Autumn Blues Reviews said...

What beautiful photos! Love the beautiful kimonos!

Shann Soiney said...

I love how you called it Hello Kitty land. I've loved Hello Kitty since I was 5 .Also, Madonna. I'd love to visit Japan one day .

Bismah Abdelgawad said...

Japan has always seemed like a beautiful country to me. The top three things that fill my life with wonder are my family, nature, and trying out new recipes.

Martin Valenzuela said...

From how you describe it, Japan is indeed a great place to visit! Hopefully someday I would be able to experience that same IK you got in the Land of the Rising Sun :)

JOJO VITO said...

wow, it seemed that you had a great experience in Japan...its in my bucketlist too :)

April Decheine said...

I have always wanted to go to Japan, I have heard it is a beautiful country! I love learning about different cultures.

Irene Thayer said...

Amazing post dear! You have a wonderful blog:)
What about following each other on Instagram, Bloglovin, Twitter?.. :)

www.bloglovin.com/blog/3880191