15 May, 2014

Brunei Darussalam in 40-something hours, Part I

When I told my friends that I was going on a trip to Brunei Darussalam, the response I got was "Brunei?!?#? For real?? Why are you going to Brunei?" My ZOMG friends were weirded out because it was the first time they heard of someone they know who's going to Brunei. Albeit not one of the more popular destinations that most people go to, BRN is a charming place to visit.

The afternoon that P told me we were going to Brunei, everything has been set; all that were left for me to do were to give my passport details and file my VLs. My reaction was very much different compared to that of my friends' because 1) this was our first out-of-the-country trip together and 2) we were visiting our friend, Eisa and his family, who are all based in Brunei. I have not had a vacation in years ( things were complicated ), so there's no way on earth that I was saying no to this.

MNL-BWN
Although Cebu Pac's plane was pretty cramped, the 2-hour flight from Manila to Bandar Seri Begawan was not so bad. We left MNL at 2250 and arrived at the capital of Brunei at 0100 the following day — I don't recommend that you guys do this because taxis are very few in BRN. Our friend, Eisa volunteered to get us at the airport. I prefer either the last flight out or the first flight of the day because I'm not too good with airport crowds and it cuts the number of days that I am going to be away from work.



Touchdown Brunei Darussalam.


Brunei in February is pleasant. It was a little over 33°C when we were there. Yes, temperature-wise, it's not so different compared to our weather here in Manila, BUT theirs was not the hot-humid-icky sunny kind of weather. I was really thankful that it did not rain and the heat was tolerable.

We were housed at The Empire Hotel and Country Club, which I must say is one of the best hotels I've stayed at. I have nothing but good words to say about this place. I've said it in my TripAdvisor review and I'm happily sharing that experience with you guys.



To wake up here means having a breathtaking sunrise greet you each morning.




I like how the rooms have balconies.


Charming. Majestic. Chill. This is how I will remember this place. The Empire Hotel & Country Club pretty much reflects the beauty of Brunei Darussalam. The rooms are very elegant. I love the bed, the marble-clad bathrooms, the carpet, and how every detail's ingeniously set to make you feel like a king or a princess.


Blissful.


I was also very happy that I got my long-overdue city break. The rich, natural environment was an awe-inspiring sight that was truly like a breath of fresh air. It was relaxing to see a lot of trees instead of skyscrapers. It was rejuvenating to see hues of blues and ocean vistas instead of metro traffic. It was heaven :)


Energy and good vibes situated by the South China Sea.




I want a 70-year old kind of love and VSCO picked this photo for its curated grid. [ Read More ]




You gotta give it to nature for sharing a sight as wondrous as this.


Although I was not able to get beer or wine while I was here ( I'll tell you all about it in Part II of my Brunei trip ), the amazing beauty that welcomed me and the stunningly magnificent place in a setting befitting of a queen, make-up for the restrictions on alcohol-frenzied drinks. See? Brunei is such a character and I meant that in a good way.   ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


★ ★ ★ ★ ★


✎  THE EMPIRE HOTEL AND COUNTRY CLUB
  +673.241.8888
  Lebuhraya Muara - Tutong, BG3122, Brunei


50 comments:

Genzel Kisses said...

I love the scenic view of sunrise! Lovely photos!

P Bishop said...

Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing your trip!

Kung Phoo said...

Those look like great pictures.. The scenic view is outstanding!

Franc said...

I like the bench photo makes you think years from now who'd you want to be beside you.

Samantha Jackson said...

This looks stunning!!! I too would vacay there!

Lisa said...

Looks Absolutely Beautiful Love All The Photos Glad You Enjoyed Yourself!

Dee Trillo said...

loveeeee the pictures! just went on vacation to a similar place!
xo,
Dee T
http://HauteFrugalista.com
@HauteFrugalista

Michele D said...

Love all your pictures. The palm trees are so unique in front of the hotel.

Michelle Knopp said...

It looks like a beautiful place to visit. I want the 70 year old kind of love, too. :)

Joanna Sormunen said...

Beautiful place! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! And congrats about the pic!

Rebecca Swenor said...

The place looks gorgeous. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Hope you bragged it up to your friends. :)

JaimeLovesStuff said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit. Why would your friends be so weirded out? Is it just because it's not popular or is there something negative about it?

Leira Pagaspas said...

This is such a nice discovery thanks for sharing this with your readers.

Mama to 5 said...

beautiful images, love the sky and the elderly couple!

Payal Bansal said...

This is such a beautiful place to visit. I loved the pic with bench near sea...<3

056d187a-d3dd-11e3-8696-000bcdcb2996 said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the picture by the South China Sea!

Cococute Manaloto said...

I love those photos and Brunei is on my bucket list too because of their rich culture and also picture perfect views.

Lexie Lane said...

Oh my gosh! I am sooo jealous! Beautiful photos! Can't wait for the next post!

Anonymous said...

On my way there in a few weeks!

Fred Hawson said...

We know so little about Brunei and what to see in it. Thank you for this intro, and the advice about their airport taxis.

OY HZ said...

Those are great photos you have there! Especially the sunrise one :)

Kylie wenn said...

Lovely beach lovely trip.. Wonderful places to travel to..

Ace Paragoyo said...

I like the scenic view of the sunrise and can't wait for the part II trip :)

Hina Naz said...

OMG beautiful. Pictures are so tempting Forcing me to visit that place

Rochkirstin Santos said...

I've wanted to travel to Brunei ever since we watched a travel documentary to this country last year. The beach views looked so nice and peaceful!

Raine Pal said...

There are so many things to be thankful for and this trip leads you to something new, a new day..a new life with good vibes. Good you choose Brunei and see the place personally with NEW PERSPECTIVE.

papaleng said...

Same question too, Why Brunei? But your photos prove you're right. Brunei is just perfect vacation place for oldies like me. Nice scenery.

Skinny Brokovich said...

Wow. Great Photos. I wish I could travel often. I miss traveling

lee rosales said...

such a lovely place., stunning photos!

Fyeah Hdr said...

I see rare photos of Brunei. These are great shots! Keep it up.

Kelly Chin said...

brunei is a quiet city to rest and relax. not too crowded

Angelo The Explorer said...

I always wanted to go to Brunei. I think it has its own charm the people wold really enjoy! I am sure I would too!

eLaNaKcL said...

Brunei a very safe and relaxing country. Nice scenery pic.

Vanessa said...

I can also feel the energy and good vibes of Brunei special places in your photos. The South China Sea looks magnificent.

Louise Banta said...

I have to agree, Brunei isn't a popular place to visit probably because they are not often explored or because there's not much tourist spot. Being able to go there, do you think the country's just not promoted (tourism wise) properly?

Eliz Obih-Frank said...

Brunei is a beautiful country and the pictures and post confirm it. It might not be on everyone's radar, but it's a delightful vacation spot; especially for those of us who don't drink.

Masshole Mommy said...

It sounds like you had a lovely little getaway. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself :)

Jeanine said...

Wow such beautiful photos. Looks like a rather gorgeous place! I hadn't ever heard of it until this post though, very lovely!

Kita said...

I love the scenery all I need is a good book by that water and I would be in heaven.

Poppy Glendening said...

I've been to a lot of places in Southeast Asia but never Brunei, would love to visit one day. the photos you've shared are beautiful.

spiffykerms said...

I totally had to just google Brunei Darussalam, before I left my comment! Had absolutely NO idea where it was lol. :( I fail at everything geography related. It looks gorgeous there.

Sage said...

I'm a travel junkie and the more I travel, the more I look for places less traveled. I really enjoyed this post, thanks for sharing :)

Tami said...

Brunei is such a beautiful destination from what you showed me. I probably will never make it there, so I will just enjoy the virtual version of it.

Amanda Simkin said...

Looks like a wonderfully relaxing trip. The pictures are gorgeous...makes me yearn for a vacation that is relaxing and gorgeous like this!

Amanda
http://www.queenofthelandoftwigsnberries.com

Local Adventurer said...

I think brunei looks really beautiful. at least from your post. :) what makes it such an undesirable city to go to?

Rebecca Swenor said...

This looks like an amazingly gorgeous place indeed. I love the views and your pictures. The bed looks amazing too. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer Juro said...

These photos are beautiful!!! I would not be able to turn down any trip that got me out of town!

Heather Jones said...

It looks like a beautiful place to visit. The sunset looks amazing. I would love to go there one day.

John Lopez said...

You had a great experience love the beach and the view.

mail4rosey said...

I'm glad that you got to take a vacation. It does look wonderful from the pics.