05 July, 2015

Side Trip: Batu Caves, Selangor, Malaysia

Batu Caves, Malaysia
The original image may be viewed at TravelFair.

If it's your first time to visit Malaysia and if you're in Kuala Lumpur, I am 99% sure that Batu Caves is one of the places that you'd want to see. I read a lot of travel forums and have checked out blog posts from travelers who have been to KL and everyone recommended going to Batu Caves. Surprisingly, Malaysian friends that P and I hung out with have not been to Batu Caves; some of them first learned about this popular tourist attraction from us. I remember P asking our friends how to go to Batu Caves and one of them said it was too far from our hotel, Wolo Bukit Bintang.

One of the boys gave a suggestion to talk to a cab driver and book him for the whole day. He'll bring us to Batu Caves and wherever it is that we wanted to go. Their rates, which I think is ridiculous, usually range from 250RM ( approx. PHP3,000 or USD68 ) to 350RM. One can also take the bus or the train going to Batu Caves, but for some reason, when we were there and after we heard 'stuff' from our friends, P and I decided to not go to Batu Caves. Or at least, that was Plan B — because our friend, Elson, had Plan C.




I was not prepared for Batu Caves that day. I've set my mind that Batu Caves was never going to happen so my OOTD when we had lunch with Elson and his wife, Summer, were my usual top and a pair of skorts. The weather in Malaysia in February is like summer in the Philippines. It was scorching hot. But anyways, to cut my long story short, Elson surprised us. After lunch, he took us Batu Caves. Yup, that was Plan C.Ü And, at first, I wasn't allowed to go up because I was wearing skorts. Good thing, there are sarongs for rent at 5RM ( approx. PHP65 or USD1.47 ). When you return the sarong, they give you back 2RM.

Lord Murugan
The tallest statue ( almost colossal ) in the world of Lord Murugan, the Hindu god of War.


Batu Caves quick facts
Batu Caves is one of Malaysia's most famous tourist destination. "Batu Caves Kuala Lumpur is a series of caves that are located approximately 13 kilometers north of Kuala Lumpur. The caves got their name from the river that flows nearby, "Sungei Batu" (Malay for "Stone River"). Coincidentally the nearby village is also known as Batu Caves. The caves are one of the most revered Hindu shrines that are found outside of India. Dedicated to the Hindu deity, Lord Murugan or Kartikeya, it is the spot where a million Hindus converge each year during the Thaipusam Festival." [ Read More: Malaysia Travel Guide ]

"In 1891 the first temple was built in the cave. The large stairway to the temple was built in 1920. The Cathedral Cave is the largest cave, and is filled with altars. In 2006 the construction of a 42 meters high statue of Lord Murugan was completed, when we were there the construction had just started. Currently a cable car is being built that will transport visitors and temple devotees to the top of Batu Caves without having to walk up the  272 steps ." [ Read More: Wonderful Malaysia ]


A steep flight of 272 steps.
Inside Batu Caves.
Stalls selling Batu Caves souvenirs
Stalls selling souvenirs inside the caves.


Monkey Business
I wasn't bothered at all by the 272 steps, but geez, the monkeys. I knew that  Macaque monkeys  were free to roam in Batu Caves. Half the time, I was wildly terrified of the monkeys and was insanely worried that they might snatch one of my things. Yes, they are cute and lovely to look at but I was so scared of getting bitten by one. I'm usually game and adventurous, but when I was at Batu Caves, I was so afraid of the monkeys that I dared not take a photo of one AND I made Elson + P my human shields. I read in one of the blogs that if a monkey gets one of your things, just let it go and don't even attempt play tug-o-war with it unless of course, you'd want to get bitten by a monkey.

When I was in Batu Caves, a Korean lady who was walking in front of me was attacked by one of the monkeys. The poor lady screamed like it was the end-of-the-world. I saw the monkey 'rob' her bag and opened it then it took the bottle of water. While it's cute that this smart little monkey knew how to open the bottle of water ( and it even drank from it! ), I think that was a scary experience. So, I would like to share a few things that you need to keep in mind if you'd decide to visit Batu Caves in one of your future trips.

1) These monkeys are sly, so leave your bag in the car. Leave your things in the car.
2) But, if you must have something with you, bring an umbrella.
3) The umbrella may have a dual purpose: it's your protection from the sun & you can use it to shoo the monkeys away.
4) Just shoo the monkeys, not hit. You're not allowed to hit the monkeys.
5) Don't stare at the monkeys.
6) Wear a hat or a cap or anything that you can use to cover your head because it's very hot.
7) Wear your sunglasses. Again, it's hot.
8) Bring a small bottle of water. Again, it's hot.
9) Bring a hand towel, some wipes, and an extra shirt because you'd look like you did a 10K run after Batu Caves.




That's Elson ( with the umbrella ). Check out the monkey that's being photographed on the right.


I was really freaked out with the Macaque monkeys. I remember how I almost flaked out on Batu Caves but my determination won over being a sissy. P and Elson + his wife would have been disappointed if I asked to be left behind especially after the traffic and long drive from Bukit Bintang to Selangor. Of course, I didn't want Elson to feel bad.




A day in a different city and I discovered that I am scared of monkeys. Putting that aside, Batu Caves was a new experience to me because it was the first Hindu temple I have ever been to. It gave me a glimpse of the Malay-Indian culture and at the same time, in the few hours that I was there, I've learned to be more tolerant, more open, and that it's always worth facing your fears ... all part of the beauty of traveling. ☮..Peace + _Love + Don't let the monkeys bite. RUSS.

70 comments:

Jen JbBoutique said...

WOW! That looks absolutely stunning. I had never heard of this before. If I am ever lucky enough to travel there I will definitely be checking it out. Love the photography in this post.
Jen x
http://jenjbboutique.co.uk

Fred Hawson said...

I have never been to Malaysia before, because I thought there was not much to see there except Petronas. But this place interests me, I will keep this in mind if we plan a Malaysia trip in the future.

Elizabeth O. said...

Interesting place. The monkeys would have freaked me out, too, but they won't stop me from exploring the beautiful cave. I haven't bee to Malaysia, but it's in my bucket list.

lee rosales said...

That ois a great tourist spot in Malaysia however, there are stalls inside the cave? I dont think its a great idea yo have those inside coz theres tendency that the natural beauty of the stones will be damaged sooner or later

May De Jesus-Palacpac said...

Oh wow, at first I thought 'how cute is that monkeys are free to roam amongst travelers, but when I read the part about the Korean being attacked, scary! What if my kids were attacked. But the caves look really enticing to see.

OY HZ said...

Interesting place to visit! When will the cable car be completed? Will keep this in mind the next time I plan to visit malaysia :)

Sin Yee said...

Be careful on the monkey. They love to grab people's bag. Haha. If you can visit during Thaipussam, it is even greater.

Pooja Kawatra said...

This place is so beautiful and statue of God looks so magnificent. You have to be careful with Monkeys here. Must visit place and the lovely caves.

Jason P. said...

Amazing place! It makes me want to travel Malaysia quick! The culture is so rich and beautiful! :D

Karen said...

I want to bring my kids in Malaysia, but I guess, if I'm visiting Batu Caves I cannot bring the kids coz the long stairway is very tiring.

Louise Banta said...

These are the kind of places and these are the reasons why I want to visit Asian countries. They have rich culture we can all learn from. Hoping to get to this cave next year.

MELISSA U said...

I'm not sure if this was the place they featured in Asia's Next Top Model Season 2 buuuuut I it's so beautiful. I like to see the monkeys and I'm definitely putting this on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing! :)

Franc said...

I would love to visit the place just to see the giant statue. The cave would also be amazing for sure.

Jasmine Watts said...

Wow!After going through this information, I wish to visit Malaysia next year!

Erinn Sluka said...

I would love to visit one day. Incredible history that still lives on to see

Tiffany Yong W.T. said...

I went there before! But too bad, I didn't have much time there to explore... Love to take time to enjoy the serenity though :/

papaleng said...

Thanks for the info. I an my wife will be in Malaysia comes Sept. and will definitely see Batu Caves.

Jennifer Clay said...

Oh wow. I have never traveled out of the United States before. This place looks amazing. The caves are so beautiful.

Lois Alter Mark said...

Oh, I would love to visit. It sounds like a very special place.

Kristel Silang said...

I hope I can visit there one of these days. And that statue looks spectacular!

In Transit PH #BigBirthdayGiveaway

Adrianas Best Recipes said...

Oh my goodness what a beautiful experience and adventure. I want to visit this place soon =)

Liz Mays said...

I think the monkeys would freak me out a bit too! It would still be a worthwhile experience though.

Raine Pal said...

Batu Caves for the win! Especially with the monkeys, hahahaha...funny experience you have there. Very cute but lots of fun.

Christy Garrett said...

This looks like a beautiful place to visit. It almost seems unreal that the monkeys will take stuff. But it's probably because people thought it was cute.

Sef Tiburcio said...

I want to visit Batu Cave and see what's the difference of this place to what our country has to offer. I want to experience it personally. Will work hard for my backpacking trip! :)

Franc said...

It was good that you had plan C and there were sarongs for rent so you can see Batu Caves.

Gil Camporazo said...

What an experience you have had for the first time in Hindu temple. I keep on imagining what would be my reaction if I could be in that place. Could I overcome my fear too on that particular cave?

Czjai Reyes-Ocampo said...

My son has been wanting to travel to Malaysia, mostly because of Legoland. Haha! Will add this to our itinerary if ever we visit the country. :)

Albert, N. said...

the caves look beautiful on those photos. Never been to Malaysia but if i ever do i'll have to check those out. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us

Millie Manahan said...

Wow! Hello! Been a long time since we had our book club meeting hehehe. :)

Anyway, I love to visit the place soon, but, I'd freak out dun sa vendors inside the cave! My gosh! haaha.

Yvonne Tan said...

Nice Place! Malaysia is really stunning and visiting there soon is such a delight!

Stephanie Pass said...

This looks so cool! The statue looks amazing! I can't imagine having monkeys like that all around. I'd be worried, lol.

Irish said...

I'm going to Malaysia early next year and this is one of the places I'll visit. What "stuff" did you heard about the bus and train in Malaysia? Is it bad?

Masshole Mommy said...

Wow, that is so cool! And the monkeys just runaround loose like that? They would have freaked me out,too!!

Agata Pokutycka said...

It looks wonderful. I wish I was there.

Shann said...

It looks beautiful, but I would be freaked out by the Monkeys too. Yikes!

Lori Bosworth said...

I have never been to Malaysia before, but I would definitely want to visit the Batu Cave. That monument also looks really imposing!

Jolleen Ruiz said...

Beautiful pictures! That monkey is just adorable :) Would love to visit someday..

Terri Ramsey Beavers said...

I think it would be awesome to be so close to the monkeys. The only one's I've seen were at our zoo and although we couldn't get near them (meanies lol), they were so fun to watch in play.

Curits Joseph said...

Malaysia looks so beautiful! I would love to go there some day, I hope you had an amazing time.

ourfamilyworld said...

This looks like an amazing place to visit. I heard so much about how beautiful Malaysia is and I would love to visit is one day.

Joanne T Ferguson said...

I love visiting the Batu Caves when in Malaysia as they truly are unique!
I really enjoyed reading your blog post today as brought back heaps of memories! I really love your photos too!

Alli Smith said...

I've never visited Malaysia, but it's exciting to see it through your eyes. Such a rich history and gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing.

Jeannette said...

Wow - I'm totally jealous! I'd love to travel more and this looks like such a beautiful destination! I'll be adding Maylasia to my list of places that I want to see after looking at your pictures!

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle said...

Batu Caves looks amazing! I love touring caves, and that huge statue is pretty cool.

Christy Maurer said...

That is so cool! I would love to visit Batu Caves if I ever get to travel there. Those tips you left are great. It is so funny that the monkeys will take your stuff!

Carmen Perez said...

Wow, what an amazing place. I've never visited that part o the world, but if I do, I'll keep this in mind. Great photos too!

mykidsguide said...

This looks like a really nice place to visit. I have never been to Malaysia, but it's in my list.

Tracy Iglesias said...

I would love to visit the batu caves! These are great shots and when I get out to Malaysia I will definitely visit there, thanks for sharing! :-)

Kisa Johnson said...

That is a LOT of stairs, which means right now I'd never be able to do that. Yikes..
I would love to visit, hopefully once the doctors find out what is wrong with me pain and fatigue wise. Such beautiful pictures too!

Mistee Dawn said...

Wow. What an amazing place to visit. They are so huge. I have never been to Malaysia, but I would love to go there one day and see these Batu Caves. How cool.

Liz Mays said...

Wow I've never been anywhere like this before. I'm glad you managed to check it out even though you were worried about the monkeys.

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh what an amazing trip! I love that you wrote about the monkeys - that is probably a detail that most people forget but you provided very wise advice!

Ricci said...

These are really amazing pics. What a great side trip. I hope that I can travel to Malaysia one day!!

Annemarie LeBlanc said...

Wow, that is some amazing cave! Traveling can teach us a lot of things about different cultures and you are fortunate you get to see this beautiful place.

K. Lee Banks said...

Wow, those caves look spectacular! I think that's one of the places my hubby has on his "bucket list" to visit some day.

Jeanine said...

Wow wouldnt I love to visit. Looks like a lovely place to visit. I love how that Monkey is just sitting right there on the steps like nothing! Thats awesome.

Lynndee said...

I think I'll freak out with the monkeys too, but those monkeys won't stop me from visiting that beautiful place. Someday, I hope.

Michelle Varga said...

This looks like such an incredible place to visit and see in person! The view and the statues are absolutely spectacular!

manikreigun said...

Another reason that I needed to visit Malaysia badly! Great tips, and even greater photos!

I need to get my 'monkey game' up for those naughty monkeys he he

CourtneyLynne said...

Malaysia sounds like a fans place to visit!! I'm hoping one day my world travels take me there!

Winter White said...

Ok i'm so ready to pack a bag and head there NOW!!!!!

Erin said...

How beautiful is that place? I would love to visit!

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

I haven't been to Malaysia but it is one of those in bucket list. I'll keep Batu caves in mind when we get a chance to visit it.

Ann B said...

Malaysia is so beautiful. I have always wanted to travel there. The Batu Caves would be amazing to explore.

Uplifting Families said...

This looks like a fun place to visit. This would be way too many stairs for me. I have major back problems though. Those monkeys sound like they enjoy taking people's things. I wonder what type of collection they have stashed away.

Jessica Simms said...


I am adding this to my bucket list, this looks so beautiful in the photo's I would love to see it in person.

Patty | MrsC said...

Wow Russ, it looks so nice there. Now that the boys and I have finally gone abroad together, we keep dreaming about our next adventure. That looks like a nice place to take the little guy. Get a bit of culture into him haha.

Janice Lim said...

What an amazing place to visit but I'm really scared of monkeys too. I think I'd be way to stressed about them to enjoy the place fully. hahaha!

Maureen Hitipeuw said...

Very cool! This is actually on my bucket list of places in and around Asia to visit and since Malaysia is really close to Indonesia, I need to make this happen very soon. Thanks for sharing this :D