25 March, 2016

Battle Plan: Strong, not skinny.

Beautifully BRUTAL, but I love it. Circuit Training is my new favorite "thing". I find it more intense than Boxing, but just as fun as Kettlebell Workouts. I had my first Circuit Training experience last December and it was WOW. I was crushed. I kid you not but completing a circuit at that time felt like I was going to die. Every inch of my body was ready to give up but my mind continued on telling me that I can do it. Heck, I wanted to do it. It would be shameful to talk about it and not complete the damn circuit. I completed the circuit.

I barely survived 2 cycles then, but now I can easily do 3. I have been working on upping the ante to gradually doing the more difficult exercises and increasing my number of cycles. If there were something that I super wish I been better at last year, that would have been taking care of my health. It was thoughtless of me to let it slip because I was always busy ( not an excuse, I know ), but that's definitely changing this year.

Not Skinny

Conquer is my word for 2016. I gave my conquer theme a head start towards the end of 2015 because I needed to condition my mind to making that first baby step. It is not new to you guys that I have an effed up metabolism because of my thyroid condition. I beat it before and I'm set to battling it again. Making the first decision and taking the first step are always the hardest. However, once you have your mind and heart committed to something, you will find ways to make it happen even through the craziest work schedules and despite the thyroid madness.

If we're friends in Swarm & Foursquare, you'd notice that I have been checking in often at a local hotel. I got a gym membership in this hotel where I spend portions of my weekend running and lifting weights. Come weekdays, I am at my new playground. This new gym close to my work place opened this year that's why after work hours are now healthier. It also helps that P joined me on this health journey.

For readers not familiar with Circuit Training, it is an intense program "involves performing a series of strength training exercises with less than the normal amount of rest. The rest between sets is purposefully not enough for complete recovery. A circuit could have ten exercises with a set each with no rest. You could do a series of exercises with work intervals and rest intervals. Circuits can be intense and as short as 12 minutes or they can be as long as an hour. The variable are limitless so it may seem confusing but the main point is to do more work in less time than you would in a "normal" weight training session." [ Read more: Melissa's Ultimate Fitness ]






I will most likely be writing more about Circuit Training and this new journey of mine. I'm far from where I want to be and I am a major work-in-progress, but what's important for me right now is how I was able to finally make that first step to taking action. It will be a lot of work, but hey, I'm tough cookie. Backing out is not in my dictionary.  ☮..Peace + _Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


The Battle Plan Series
» Discover Yoga
» No shortcuts. Eat Right + Exercise.
» Slowly, but surely


50 comments:

ROBERT LEE said...

I suppose in any activities you get yourself involved in, it began with a decision. The question is for how long? Sustaining an activity is dependent on the mindset and I'd say, situation too.

I used to go to gyms, in my case, I stopped because there was no one with me. It's tough engaging in activities alone. Skip one time and it's the start of the end.

mommymadz said...

Wow circuit training! I'd probably wouldn't last the first 12 minutes.I am more into yoga although these days my main exercise is cleaning the house haha

Ketchup Moms said...

The first time I braved circuit training I thought 'so this is how I die'. Lol. I must say one month into it I loved it. Unfortunately I have become a couch potato now. Time to get up and take some action

Suzanne said...

Congrats to you for making the effort that I know Circut training takes. You must feel amazing and I can bet it will keep your healthier from colds etc as well.

Elizabeth O. said...

I love your determination, that's where it all starts. If you have the drive to push through your plans then you will definitely make them happen, no matter what. I also love your word of the year, it definitely suits you well.

Bhushavali N said...

Circuit training! I've heard of it but never bothered to know more about it. Interesting. Good to know you're sticking to a plan and it works for you!

Fred Hawson said...

Congratulations for finding the exercise that feels right for you! I am a bit limited as far as strenuous exercises go. I wish I discovered this when I was younger.

Leke Awonuga said...

Wow! Circuit training - never heard of it before! But I know that going through rigorous exercise routine is an investment on having a great body and depth of strength. Thanks for sharing this!

Franc said...

I love circuit training. It's quick but it gives you a really intense workout and achieving better results.

Nicol said...

glad you found something you like! i haven't done circuit training in a while. need to get back into it actually

mail4rosey said...

This is my first to really hear what circuit training is about. I need to find something...

Claire Algarme said...

I've tried boxing before and I also did hit the gym for quite sometime. But my body wasn't built for such activities, it was hard for me to stay on track. I only lasted for very few months. Good for you for being able to do this.

Sunshine Kelly said...

Yes! I am going to exercise more and built a stronger bones and body. Thanks for the motivation.

Erica Villas said...

Good luck on your game plan! It sounds challenging but I'm sure it will be all worth it!

RainbowDiaries Website said...

I have done circuit training and found it very high-impact. Actually, I felt fainted first 2-3 times. It is effective definitely.

Mumsand Babies said...

I used to do circuit training and it really built up your stamina and pump up your energy level.

Raine Pal said...

Cool place to have a good start for an intense workout. Hope I have that kind of willingness to join a big change. It's really a challenging move! Congrats sis.

Phylicia Marie Pineda said...

I love circuit training as well, it's so intense and really burns a lot!!! The first time I tried it, I even vomitted from exhaustion, but it's sooo much more fun than other workouts.

Anonymous said...


Wow because this is really great job! Congrats and keep it up. https://happywheelsrr.wordpress.com

Masshole Mommy said...

Circuit training is definitely challenging, so good for you for starting it up!

Mom Knows Best said...

I need to add weights to my workout. This would be great for, as my boys say, my bingo arms.

Laura Starner said...

I love your theme for 2016:conquer. I'm doing something similar on my exercise level. Well done.

Tina said...

Good for you!! I haven't done something like this in more than 40 years!! I hope it continues to make you feel like a million bucks!

ana de jesus said...

Sorry to hear about your thyroid condition but your positivity is so inspiring. Good luck xx

Rachel Mouton said...

I have looked into circuit training in the past. I may have to revisit it. Thanks for a great inspirational post :)

Nicole Escat said...

Good for you, you found something you'll get enjoy. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ana Fernandez said...

Circuit training would be super hard for me but congrats for you for making such an effort! You are working harder and better every day

Pellerini said...

I used to do circuit training and loved the way I felt afterwards - exhausted but GREAT!

Melisa said...

I can;t imagine that I would ever be brave enough to try circuit training. I know it would kill me.

Katy {AShadeOfTeal} said...

I've always wanted to try circuit training. I love pushing myself when it comes to working out.

Christine - Jar Of Lemons said...

Love circuit training! Great job steeping up to the challenge!

Maya LaBoo said...

Wow! I don't think I would survive circuit training!!! Great job!

ConciergeLibrarian said...

This is good stuff...once your mind is made up you are over the biggest hurdle

Amy Jones said...

Circuit training wow i bet u must be very brave, i get scared only by seeing the ring hehe, I wish you the best on your training!

Christina Aliperti said...

I love this. The focus for me is on strength and health, not being skinny. I need to amp up my workouts soon.

Liz Mays said...

Since my daughter is a pro body builder, I love that you're talking about this kind of thing. I find it fascinating!

paradisenearth said...

Wow i cannot imagine doing circuit training, I am more like yoga and cardio exercise person. Best of luck to you

Shannon Peterson said...

I love your word of the year! And Im glad circuit training has been so beneficial!

agnes dela cruz said...

I am not in good shape now, I stepped back years of limited workout but I am back again. enjoying riding my new bike while I enjoy the view and the sun. I wanted to be healthy again!

Soiree Design Studio said...

Thanks for sharing this. I was just telling my husband that I have got to get into a fitness routine! It's been hard to bounce back after my last child!

Ra'Nesha Wilson said...

Get it girl health is important not being slim.

Ms KathyKenny said...

Circuit training is soooooo hard. It takes so much effort and it really is brutal. Good luck! You can do it!

A Busy Bees Life said...

I actually used to circuit train, and I loved the benefits and the feeling good about myself whenever I was done. he breaks in between helped me to get motivated to move to the next station or occasionally get a short quick sip of water. I stopped going because it became to boring for me. The same circuit over and over, and doing it without a friend or partner just doesnt make it fun. I can see why you like it though.

David Tofie said...

This was suggested to me so many times and I've seen a lot of people doing it. It's intense but very fun I guess. Would love to do it :)

Pie Tan said...

We have a gym at the new building we recently transferred to, i keep on telling myself that i'll get involve with it since i am starting to gain weight higher than what is required. I guess i don't have that great self motivation like yours. You're indeed strong for a woman coz you can do 3 cycles easily! woah!

Yogo and Cream said...

This is truly inspiring. I would like to CONQUER 2016 with circuit training too. I believe in that workout since I've been doing it before too. It was the only workout that I lost weight effectively and made my body Boracay ready. Hopefully, I can gather the will and strength to exercise again. -Me-An Clemente

Karina Ramos said...

I tried HIIT or high intensity interval training. It was hard too. I wanted to try curves--- is that circuit training. Well, whatever it is I agree with you--- we are all a work in progress but at least you are now starting. Goodluck

Klaudias Corner said...

Hats off ! My best friend is a personal trainer and kettlebell instructor , runs marathon after marathon , and I get so jealous because my health does not allow me , to do sport anymore . I so miss it , I used to be quite active . But must admit , I prefer outdoor sports , like beach volley ball , swimming and so on.I can so tell by the wabbly condition of my tissue ,l but what do you want to do ?! Sport today kills me , I end up in so much pain . Great post , tho !

Maaya Legaspi said...

Its good that you have a physical activity to engage with. My persona favorite is boxing and mu coaches afterwards would let me do circuit training. I think thats how i lose 14 kg. Unfortunately now, ive been so lazy going to the gym. So i wasnt really able to continue my fitness journey. But one of this days i will sure come back to train again. :)

Kat said...

Good luck with your fitness goal. :) People who are determined to get fit never fail to impress me, especially those who are into intense training such as circuit training (though I'm not very familiar with this). As with me, I've yet to find a type of exercise that will hold my interest, so for now jogging will do.