27 May, 2016

Battle Plan: A clean & healthy colon

Hola! Before you continue to read, let me tell you that this isn’t for the faint-hearted. I was apprehensive to write about this but I will do my best to not be TMI and to not be as visual as possible. You may skip reading The Experience part. Okidoki? Here goes ...

It was Maundy Thursday. My Mom and Tita Rose ( her older sister ) just came back from a week-long Coron, Palawan vacation and the moment that I stepped out of the car to greet them at the airport, the first thing that my Mom did was to instruct our driver to drive straight to this Health & Wellness Center in San Pedro, Laguna. How fun. Lol.

Hello, Colon Hydrotherapy.


Ho-hum. So, the Mommy Card works. Again..
I already knew what was coming, but I was so pissed with myself because my Mom outsmarted me on this. It was something that I have been trying to escape the whole month of March ever since Mom and Tita Rose discovered + gone through 3 straight sessions of Colon Irrigation / Colon Hydrotherapy. I was constantly bombarded with text messages about the benefits of having a healthy colon. I do understand it, but the thought of having something inserted in your butt is just not my thing.

Going back to my story - since it was Maundy Thursday here in the Philippines, it was a holiday. Neither “I'm working” nor “I have an event” would work on my Mom. It was a dead end. Mom used her I’m Your Mother Card and being the obedient daughter that I am, I had my first Colon Hydrotherapy.


Colon Hydrotherapy. How is it done?.
For those not familiar with Colon Irrigation or Hydrotherapy, it’s a process wherein “a low-pressure pump or a gravity-based reservoir flushes several gallons of water through a small tube inserted into your rectum. After the water is in the colon, the therapist may massage your abdomen. Then you release the water like a regular bowel movement; the process flushes out the fluids and waste.” This process is usually repeated over and over and in my case, it took about 30 to 45 minutes. • [ Read More: WebMD ]

Session 1

Reluctant. Anxious. Scared. Admittedly, even if I heard wonderful, happy, beautiful stories about it from my Mom, Aunt, and a few of my girlfriends who religiously do it I really didn’t want to go through this colon cleansing procedure it because I had this thought lingering in my head that I would feel violated. That's just me and my over-exaggerated imagination — the experience varies for every individual, but I kid you not, the first time was very uncomfortable & was the longest 30-minutes of my life.

Session 2
I did better this time. Like super duper better. I did not panic, I was relaxed, and I was focused on fully understanding & appreciating the experience. This made things easier for my therapist & I. I know I gave her a difficult time during the Session #1 because I was screaming half the time. I didn't see her panic, but I saw beads of sweat on her forehead. Lol.

The Experience.
I was covered the entire time and the therapists were well-trained – these helped me ease up a bit. Like what I said, there was a lot of discomfort and cramping the first time but you will eventually get used to it. In Session #1, what came out were mostly gas and a lot of acid. WOW, that's probably 11 years worth of coffee, wine, soda, and cocktails. Session #2 had more acid, gas, and bowel pockets. It just sounds a little off, but the sight was horrendous as I initially thought it would be.


I still don't like the idea of having something inserted in my butt ( and I don't think I will ever like it ), but I'm glad that my Mom & Aunt strongly encouraged me to try Colon Hydrotherapy. I know there isn't a solid belief in the medical community about the procedure. Some rave about it and there are groups who speak the opposite. At the end of the day, we know our bodies more than anyone. Colon Hydrotherapy was a month in the making for me. I still do not like it but I'm glad that I did it.

I most certainly feel a lot lighter and whatever bloated feeling I have is gone. I also noticed that my tummy got smaller plus I feel more energized. Will I have my third session? Yes, I will. I have yet to go on Session #3 and we'll see if there are more junk in my gut. In Part 2 of my post, I will be talking about the benefits and how Colon Hydrotherapy has improved my lifestyle and eating habits.



Not everyone can easily undergo Colon Hydrotherapy. If this post piqued your interest and you are considering having it done, make sure to consult with a medical practitioner. Have you tried Colon Hydrotherapy? ☮..Peace + ❥_Love + Good Vibes. RUSS.


The Battle Plan Series
» Strong, not skinny
» Discover Yoga
» No shortcuts. Eat Right + Exercise.


Image Credit: @MissFitMissHap

55 comments:

Bhushavali N said...

Errrrrr... What???!!!! You are right? The very thought of having something inserted in the butt anf having water passed in is just putting me off.. I may not try this at all until my doctor says I have to. This is scary, honestly!!!

Kathy Lacuna said...

Wow that must have been some experience! But I, too, believe that a clean colon leads to good health and difficult as it may be, getting a colon hydrotherapy is the way to go.

Elizabeth O. said...

What an interesting experience. I don't really find it gross or "TMI" as you would say, I think it's nice that you blogged about your experience so people who are interested can have a glimpse of what it's like. I think it's cool to have your colon "cleansed" from time to time. And you came out in one piece so I assume it's super safe and effective. Haha.

Fred Hawson said...

I actually think I may need this but I do not think if I am brave enough to do it. Your description of "screaming for 30 minutes" does not sound encouraging. :-)

Shubhada Bhide said...

Oh! Something new I learnt. Had heard about enema and all but this treatment looks effective.

mail4rosey said...

Maybe I knew vaguely about the process. I think I did anyway. :)

Franc said...

A clean colon is really important. I hope they can devise ways of giving us a cleaner colon than these excruciating process. It was good that you were tough and properly supported.

Zwitsy said...

that sounds funny but I certainly agree on the benefits the process gives. I'm sure if this would be common, many would undergo this kind of cleansing.

Masshole Mommy said...

This is definitely something I have considered, so I was glad to read about your experience.

Sarah-Louise Bailey said...

Ekk this must have been some experience but I bet it all helped in the end! x

Mom Knows Best said...

Moms always win. She knew that you needed this cleanse.

Michelle Gwynn Jones said...

Well - that's a price you pay for being an good daughter who listens to her mother.

berlin domingo said...

Havent tried it and wasnt aware such services exist. But i believe a healthy colon is very important. Would want to try it as well. Nice too that you have your mom and aunt's support and encouragement.

Liz Mays said...

That sounds pretty horrific. I give you props for going back for that follow-up session, and I'm glad it was a bit better.

Yogo and Cream said...

My mom is super health conscious too. And she also told me that most of the health problems stem from having an unclean colon. Thankfully, I don't have to go through colon hydrotherapy since we have recently discovered a herbal detox product that just needs to be done quarterly. The garbage, all that sticks to our colon, and even the parasites get flushed out in a normal way. My mom discovered watermelon seeds from years ago. It was awesome. I'm excited to have a cleaner colon.

Jessica Ayun said...

Prevention is the best way, I guess. Nothing wrong to make sure that your colon is clean and doing well. Good luck with your next session! :)

Pamela said...

I do a colon cleanse when I start to feel bloated. Never heard of this procedure. It's a bit like the old-fashioned enemia.

walk with miss piggy said...

Whoah! This is the first time I heard about this and based on your first time it seems like a nightmare. Btw how many session would it take for them to clean your colon? and how much would it cost per session?

Thanks for sharing this :)

Nicole Escat said...

I like those pillows. It is always important to take care of our body and stay healthy.

Charm Gamboa said...

This therapy is scary but I think it's for a healthier lifestyle but still scary! Congratulations on being brave, I hope I can be as brave as you.

Lexie Lane said...

A healthy colon leads to a healthy life. It is very important to take care of your health to prevent illnesses.

jenjen said...

This is new to me.

Ms KathyKenny said...

This is one of those things that people need to know about but rarely read about because its a little icky. Thanks for this information though. It really does help.

Nancy L. said...

I had never heard of this before. I would react the same way you did the very first time. I would not like it at all. I'm not sure they do this procedure in the U.S. (?)

Melisa said...

I'm glad you are feeling a benefit from the treatment. I don't think it's anything I would ever do, because of the grossness of it.

Joy Mendiola said...

Thank you for sharing your experience of Colon Hydro...I just do not know if this is available in my country.

Tamshuk said...

This is the first time I have read a detailed description of this procedure. I can imagine it must have been uncomfortable physically and mentally too

Sonnie said...

I've gone thru a similar experience before, and I agree w/ you. It's embarassing haha! But as we grow older, we have to go thru some inconvenience to ensure our bodies are in tip top shape

Sabine Zaalberg said...

I have sent this to my brother. He's had a lot of troubles With his colon. And as well I heard about it from a friend. Why not try it if it's maybe good for you, even thought they didn't prove it maybe?

Marielle Altenor said...

My sister had this done a couple of years back. I never did but I'd be too scared lol I don't really want anything up there either!

Aika Loraine said...

Is it a requirement to have this? Actually, i dont like the idea. Waaah. I am SCARED. If my mon would do that to me, i might run away. But thanks for enlightening us about this. It was new to me.


Aika | aikaloraine.com

Lisa Rios said...

Sounds like a nightmare to go through & honestly this is the first time I hear about it. Wondering how expensive those sessions are going to be & I also wonder how you got the strength to face it as I am bit scared reading the entire process!

Terri Beavers said...

I'm glad you had it done and that it's working for you. I'm not sure I'd have it done unless I didn't have a choice.

Ana Fernandez said...

It is an embarrassing procedure but it is required at certain age. Now I can get starting to be mentally prepared for this

Shaylee Anne said...

Interesting! I've actually wondered about this procedure and its benefits before. It's good to read about the experience.

Swayam Tiwari said...

Colon cleansing is important for our systems from time to time. It is a refreshing post , thank you. But, please use a bigger font so that the post is easily readable.

Enricoh Alfonzo Naidu said...

that's so awesome I had no idea. thanks for the brilliant insight.

Martin Valenzuela said...

Wow. To have a healthy colon, I'll never hesitate to undergo in this treatment. But I can just imagine how uncomfortable this will be.

Stacie said...

I understand your apprehension over the entire process. That's a VERY private area. That would actually give me more pause than my first pelvic exam did.

Maggie Lydon said...

Having a clean colon definitely makes a world of difference in ones health. This is a really interesting experience to read about. Good luck as you continue this journey!

Jennifer Johnson said...

Thanks for the honest thoughts! It is hard to anticipate a thing like this, getting older is hard to do!

Lisa said...

i have not actually heard of this before. I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you!

mary said...

Well I learned something new today. I didn't know about this therapy at all. Not sure I will give it a try any time soon, but glad you're feeling better

Amanda Simkin said...

Well that sounds like quite an interesting experience. After helping support my Dad through colon cancer, I know quite a bit about colonoscopies and how absolutely vital it is to take care of your health, no matter how gross it might be.

Mistee Dawn said...

My sister actually had to have something similar done. It is definitely not a fun experience. lol

Lynndee said...

My sister had this done before and as she said, it wasn't the most comfortable procedure, but she felt a lot better after that. She was having stomach pains before the procedure.

Life With Kathy said...

What an interesting post. I have to say that I love those poop pillows! haha! I found those in the store and my girls want them...I know colon cleansing is so important too.

Christy Garrett said...

I haven't ever heard of this process. I deal with constipation from taking my medicine to manage my pain. I'm sure I could benefit deeply from this service.

Angie K said...

A clean colon is def the way to a clean bill of health. I dont how Id feel about umm something being put their.. that must have been painful!

Ann B said...

I have heard so many great reviews on Colon Hydrotherapy. I have been thinking about trying it.

CourtneyLynne said...

This is actually something I have always wanted to try, yet chicken out about it lol..... The benefits sound great!

Two boys and a hubby said...

I am so bloated right now, so I will be looking into this. I am glad that you are feeling better.

Eloise Maoudj-Riley said...

hmmm, never thought about doing this... not sure how I feel about it... what I DO know, is that I'm happy it worked for you and that it had a positive outcome.

Jasmine said...

This sounds so interesting! I've never heard of this specific treatment, but I have considered some things like this because I thought I had IBS for some time. Turns out I just needed to change some of my eating habits!

Ashley Whipple said...

I had heard of this before but didn't think it was for me for the same reasons you stated. I actually really appreciated your first hand experience, you totally didn't go overboard with TMI. Thanks for sharing your experience.